Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow
if you're looking for really inexpensive rockets that fly with A10-3Ts, try the Art Applewhite 13mm paper flying saucer, a 2" diameter mini Sputnik (use bamboo skewers for the 4 legs), or a spool rocket made of a pair of CDs and an interconnecting tube.

Bob,

IIRC, creating a rocket with the lowest price in and of itself wasn't the challenge this time. If we were only trying to create an inexpensive rocket, Solo already has his "Slidewhistle" design, which is about as inexpensive as one can get.

The challenge was to create a rocket
  • Using SEMROC components exclusively
  • Using the A10-3T engine
  • Having a deployment velocity (Dv) of 10 FPS or less

Those criteria needed the power of RockSim to find a combination of components that fit all three aspects in one design. The models are intended for youthful fingers, which is why Solo mentioned laser-cut fins, as well as simplicity, in that it really is a plug-n-go type of design. You just glue a few parts together without having to do any major cutting. With these four designs, unless I've missed something, the only use of a knife is in cutting slits in the engine tubes for the hooks. Everything else is already pre-cut by SEMROC, just waiting to be assembled.

Understand, I'm not fond of ARF or RTF designs, whether they're rockets, RC airplanes, or RC cars. I prefer to build, and I think Solo feels the same. I'm not slamming anyone elses stuff here, everyone in this hobby business produces something to fill a niche and satisfy a demand. Solo's other unspoken (4th) criteria, however, was to get these young folks familiar with typical construction items, like body tubes and nose cones and rings and so forth, so that they would understand how they're used and why one component is selected over another. This is the information we all take for granted, but young folks don't yet know.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635