Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Master Modeler

There are two items in the ebay listing that are particularly interesting to me:

"This model is scheduled for release by Estes in August 2010. Jetstream cannot be held responsible if there is a delay with the delivery date."

So delays in shippiing are not the responsiblility of the seller who requires that:

PAYMENT IS DUE WITHIN 7 DAYS OF PURCHASE.

So I am to make a loan of $103.54 to the seller and wait for the magic box to arrive... for those of us burned by the tattooed lady there is a certain hesitancy.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Retail at $99.99 (which most dedicated hobby shops price close to) is TWICE that of wholesale of $49.99 ???
That is what is WRONG with pricing by virtually ALL hobby companies other than Semroc.

Even at that price, it seems reasonable and I will probably buy at least 2.
It just infuriates me that I am paying TWICE what GP sells them for wholesale.

I can just see the same structure for a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu or Ford Fusion that GM or Ford sells to the dealership for $20K and the dealership tries to get customers to pay $40K. Would NEVER happen.

Price structures like this are exactly why I would just as soon see more direct from manufacturer sales.

Do you buy a fountain drink when you go out to eat? In that circumstance you are paying a dollar or two for something that costs about 5 cents.

NAR #32070
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
.... the tattooed lady

Was once SAM#0132
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
In the photograph the capsule appears to be "molded" in much the same manner that the Sirius Rocketry solution is molded in one piece. Has Estes dispensed with a injection molded LES tower in favor of a one piece assembly?

What's the source of this photo? The "original" is definitely not the original Estes assembly, which in all previous versions had open lattice work. It looks like the Moldin'Oldies version that Sirius now distributes.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
We LOVE Scale, Oldies and MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
What's the source of this photo? The "original" is definitely not the original Estes assembly, which in all previous versions had open lattice work. It looks like the Moldin'Oldies version that Sirius now distributes.

The source of that picture would be indeed Sirius. The left photo is Mike's original casting, and the right side is a more detailed BPC version that I recently released.

David
Find us on Facebook: Sirius Rocketry Facebook Page!
NEW! Sirius Rocketry Blog!

NEW! Sirius Rocketry Eradicator!
Sirius Rocketry Deimos!
Shipping motors including AeroTech High Power!!
Sirius Rocketry S.S. Cestris
Sirius Rocketry Interrogator
The Sirius Rocketry Saturn 5
The Sirius Rocketry Secure Online Store

David J. Miller, Sirius Rocketry, LLC
NAR 28800 L2 TRA 2483 L2
Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

No, I usually don't get a fountain drink when I go out to eat...I usually get something good with my dinner along the lines of a nice pint of Oberon or a rocks glass of Glenlivet or Wild Turkey. Honestly I rarely drink any sort of fountain soda. Most often I drink Barq's Root Beer or Red Bull in cans.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Master Modeler

I have no idea how Hobbico or any major hobby company releases information to vendors or what the priority would be for who knows first, but I thought I'd do a little checking to see what several of the local and online stores knew about Hobbico releasing the Saturn V this coming August.

Having been president of a club for several years I have a decent relationship with most of the store managers/owners so I checked the Michael's, HL's, BRS and several mom and pops, 8 stores total, no one has heard anything to this point. Not even rumors.

Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen in August, it might be that there is a pecking order for releasing information and they are starting with the largest or closest stores, but word is not getting around the market very quickly.

During the last offering the inital stock was 2 per store, at least in my area. One or two stores eventually got 2-3 additional kits. Most went for retail from $89.99 -$99.99. We didn't pay that but someone did.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Master Modeler

I just signed up with Tower for an e-mail update when available. We'll see what happens.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Just great.

Another Saturn V kit I can buy and not build.

Bob "Still has an Estes K-36 Saturn V from 1973 built but unfinished" Sanford

Bob, I thought I was bad ... my #2001 Saturn has been built since around 1990 or so, but no paint yet.

I did start filling the seams last year, though. I'm going to up the pace a bit and have it flying on the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I have no idea how Hobbico or any major hobby company releases information to vendors or what the priority would be for who knows first, but I thought I'd do a little checking to see what several of the local and online stores knew about Hobbico releasing the Saturn V this coming August.

Having been president of a club for several years I have a decent relationship with most of the store managers/owners so I checked the Michael's, HL's, BRS and several mom and pops, 8 stores total, no one has heard anything to this point. Not even rumors.

Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen in August, it might be that there is a pecking order for releasing information and they are starting with the largest or closest stores, but word is not getting around the market very quickly.

During the last offering the inital stock was 2 per store, at least in my area. One or two stores eventually got 2-3 additional kits. Most went for retail from $89.99 -$99.99. We didn't pay that but someone did.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com

I don't know what to tell you Randy, as soon as Hobbico announced its ownership of Estes, new product started showing up in stores right away. I gave this forum the information that came directly, in an email to me, from our sales rep at Great Planes. Given the reaction from some, I will only post retail prices in the future. I would expect that the "street" price on the model should be $79.99-$89.99. Barry got very cheap towards the end, cutting staff and all. Hobbico has a lot of cash behind it and can make things happen easily. I would bet that this kit WILL be around in August.

NAR #32070