Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
As for "BUZZ", I am very pleased. I am however sad that very little is being said about the actual shape and Deco of the models. I realize there is nothing earth shattering about these designs, but I think they are very attractive looking models. I am very curious to find out which of the four models each of you likes best.

John Boren

John,

I like the Leviathan & Partizon. While I like the others as well, those two are what I'm buying first.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
You can use either our standard bulb or new LED E-Beam on these new Sonic igniters. They require the same type of voltage\current as our Solar igniters.

As for "BUZZ", I am very pleased. I am however sad that very little is being said about the actual shape and Deco of the models. I realize there is nothing earth shattering about these designs, but I think they are very attractive looking models. I am very curious to find out which of the four models each of you likes best.

John Boren

I am very happy about several aspects of these kit offerings. The understandable tube sizes makes sense and if Estes pulls it off successfully with Pro Series 2 kits, they will be the first ever. The downside to those sizes is they are not "natural fits" for most motor clusters and combinations, so industrious modelers will have to mix and match parts for clustered configurations. I suspect the U.S. Rockets designs will have considerable advantage in that area going forward.

The paint schemes remind me of the HPR models I saw when I started going back to the midwest to attend launches such as Danville, LDRS and others. The simple colorful graphics are plenty beautiful and plenty visible and simple enough to pull off for a level 1 or 2 effort.

I am particularly satisfied the designs are through the wall with plywood fins and rings, nylon parachutes, blow molded plastic nose cones and, yes even the "proprietary" motor retention system.

As near as I can tell this system does not overtly preclude me from replacing an Estes E30 with an Aerotech E30 or a U.S. Rockets E50. The E50 would have to have a compatible thrust ring bonded to it.

As for fin shape, the use of plywood means any rear swept shapes will likely not break on landing as so many of the Pro Series 1 kits did. That said the original question related to the kit design. I very much like the longer L/D of the rockets as well as the clear variance in fin shapes and visual relative size. That differentiation will make a short line initially seem adequate.

Since the actual purpose of kits is a means to efficiently and conveniently waste motors, in that sense they check all the boxes.

Adding to that, the new igniter is perhaps the single most exciting aspect of the entire announcement, because it makes everything else seamless and simple. Congrats to the team for that indeed.

I have also read the comments on threads on other sites and feel there is not only no concerns about Estes using AT as the IP and propellant vendor, but rather than seeing higher prices through less competition, I feel we will see economies of scale and cost reductions associated with increased sales volumes. I do not expect the retail price to be lower or drop over time, due the the high margin requirements to support such silliness as 40% off Michael's coupons to end users, but at whatever price they live at over time, I do expect costs to moderate and those profits to increase, exactly as how business is supposed to work.

I know John gets a lot of the focus here, but lets not forget Rick Piester at Hobbico and Mary Roberts at Estes who spearheaded this effort in a very successful and well appreciated direction.

I think this one will work.

The back room secret is the casing molds and designs Gary at Aerotech has been developing for decades now in single cavity mold format, may finally get to see their day in the sun in multi-cavity format (much lower unit cost), and the new closure design may even see limited assembly automation within 3 years.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  220px-Model_Rocket_Motors.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  13.1 KB  

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 06-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Master Modeler

I just wanted to make it clear that these four Pro Series 2 models us a 29mm motor mounts. The 24mm E30 motors can be used in our D & E powered kits along with other models you may have that use 24mm D & E motors. The E30 will be a great engine for the Estes Saturn V.

I believe the biggest thing that the Estes Pro Series 2 line of products is gong to do is to introduce tens of thousands of rocket fliers out there, that there is a whole other aspect to this great hobby of ours. These larger kits will hopefully be in stores that would normally never have carried composite motors or rockets of this size. Not only is this good for Estes sales but is great for model rocketry in general.

John Boren
Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
A knife has just been thrusted through my heart!

John Boren

John,

I do like the Ventris scheme -- I am a sucker for any rocket in red/white/black.

And although it's been said before, thanks for all the great new stuff coming from Estes!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Let me see...

Internal combustion engines
Liquor bottles
Mechanical pencil lead
Medications
Photographic film, oh wait, that's going away

Bill

And don't forget tire companies, who are so lame they won't take a stand either way. Tires have both English and metric -- like my 235/55-17 tires. They should be ashamed.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Well John,
I thought you did good! they look more "Rockety" (Yeah I made it up) in my book than the old pro series stuff did. I'm not a fan of purple glittery kids toy looking schemes, a rocket should look like a rocket! I'm a big fan of the early paint jobs from back in the 60's-early 80's when a cool roll pattern was something. Wish I was helping Estes on new paint shemes too..

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine

Adding to that, the new igniter is perhaps the single most exciting aspect of the entire announcement, because it makes everything else seamless and simple. Congrats to the team for that indeed.

AMEN!! I have only just started into composites and ignition has been frustrating compared to the virtually 100% success I've had with Estes and Quest igniters in BP motors.

Quote:
I know John gets a lot of the focus here, but lets not forget Rick Piester at Hobbico and Mary Roberts at Estes who spearheaded this effort in a very successful and well appreciated direction.

I think this one will work.

I'll second that motion, too.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

AMEN!! I have only just started into composites and ignition has been frustrating compared to the virtually 100% success I've had with Estes and Quest igniters in BP motors...

I will agree with that observation. Most, if not nearly all, of my frustration with composites have been with the ignition side. I have spent much more in the way of resources, (time, money, and mental) to develop reliable igniters for composites. Thankfully, I have just about completed this part of my journey.

I am hoping that Estes will have a "winner" of an igniter.

Greg
Old 06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
BAR

Quote:

John Boren
While there are a lot of positive things about this announcement, I would have expected at least one scale kit (maybe a beefed up Maxi-Brute), and maybe even an exotic kit (e.g. Interceptor G), from something called the "Pro Series". I think those would generate even more buzz! Thanks for keeping us informed JJ.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Craftsman

Default Just Came Across This Thread

I see the new kits on the Estes site. Any word on when the composite engines will be available?

Chris