Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Master Modeler

Wow, pricey.

I'd love to see an "entry" mid-power model, perhaps along the lines of the Centuri Explorer. Maybe with an adaptor for 24mm motors.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
You won't see any NCR designs come back from Estes. Those rights are held by Matt Steele.
NCR has also recently posted you will not see those designs revisited so I suspect the licensing issues are two way or at least the brand confusion is.

Jerry
Old 11-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz2p7j
I see the new kits on the Estes site. Any word on when the composite engines will be available?
Chris
Here is a post with the motor price list dealers see.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...631&postcount=5

Executive summary (November 2011 order availability to dealers):

E30-4,7 $15.99 ea
F26-6 $22.99 ea
F50-4,6 $22.99 ea
G40-4,7 $24.99 ea
G80-7,10 $24.99 ea
Sonic Igniter 4pk $4.99

Ask your LHS about them now.

Just Jerry
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm thinking about next to ZERO of those E30's will be sold at that ******* price point with them available in 3-paks for $21.99 on the valuerockets website.

The F32 is available for $16.99 instead of $22.99 for a F26 also.

If Hobby Lobby carries them I may purchase some with the 40-50% off coupons, but nowhere near these ******* prices EVER.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I'm thinking about next to ZERO of those E30's will be sold at that ******* price point with them available in 3-paks for $21.99 on the valuerockets website
You are simply wrong about that. The market for mail order rocketry is "saturated". That is to say all willing buyers are buying. Sales are slim despite that.

Physical retail is dominant and will continue to be so for the forseeable future.

The fact that some retailers discount sales, pulls enthusiastic buyers to them, but the vast majority of folks are convenience buyers. Price to some degree is no object. The folks who have a primary point of contact of the retail store are the vast majority of model rocketeers. Very few have a primary POC of clubs, online, or other venues.

That said, one should thank the likes of Estes and Quest and Hobbico and the hard working folks there for developing and maintaining the primary market that supports the niche activities online and club folks enjoy.

Jerry Irvine
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Old BAR

I doubt Hobby Lobby will ever carry those engines. And I am with GH on the pricing. The E-30 price is totally stupid.

Allen
Old 11-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Launching since 1970.

Enerjet F67 motors were $8 retail in the early 1970's. Know what that would equate to in today's inflated world?

What cost $8 in 1972 would cost $41.22 in 2010. from one website and http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc...1972&year2=2011 provides another data point for 2011 of $43.42.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Old BAR

Great info, Shred.
Problem is, it's what the market will bare, which has little relevance to your nice little statistic. E-30's for $16 each is too high for me when I can order 3 x E-20's for $22.
Economics, Fred.

Allen
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Great info, Shred.
Problem is, it's what the market will bare, which has little relevance to your nice little statistic. E-30's for $16 each is too high for me when I can order 3 x E-20's for $22.
Economics, Fred.

Allen

As jerry explained (I think), clubs and niche-hobbyists will buy online at discount and the other 95% of the market will buy whatever is in their local store that they can walk into.

I've popped into hobby shops at lunchtime and seen scout-dads buying loads of rocket stuff at full retail plus tax for their kid. Almost always at the last minute and they have no idea what they are buying or what "it should cost".

The E30 will sell to those who have Estes 24mm models and who will want to launch them "as high as possible". Those consumers will pay almost anything to do so.

I just got my latest 'just under $300' Valuerockets order and my 'just over $700' Hobbylinc order. Comparatively few will order like that. Some will, but 95% will not - they want to walk into a store with cash or credit card and get their stuff live and in person.

And, please, stop putting the dash in the wrong place.
The motors are
E20, not E-20
E30, not E-30

After the dash is the delay time.

And Valurockets only has the E15 and E30 in 3 pack bags at discount in 24mm. They do not sell E20 motors and they come in a 2 pack and were specifically created for mass merchandising and retail, hence the plastic 2-pack.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Old BAR

Shred, I'll quit putting the dash in the wrong place if you can refrain from you-tubing so many of your responses!
And, the mistake I made when quoting the ValueRockets engine designation notwithstanding, the Estes price is too high for folks who know how to order ahead of time.
Obviously, a skill you have...! 3 x E30 or 3 x E15 for $20.99 sure beats 1 x E30 from Estes for $16, no matter how you want to slice it!
I really do not care what it "should" cost.
Allen