Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2006, 09:30 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Post Semroc Saturn 1B Building Thread

Everyone,

I thought I'd setup a thread for everyone who would like to share pictures while building their Saturn 1B's.

I'm still working on the fabulous Mars Lander and when done will start on the Saturn 1B.

I'm also hoping to read about building tips in this thread

So lets see them coming

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Don't be shy guys

I'll start and post the contents

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

The Saturn 1B tanks have to be painted before assembling. Unfortunately, the November weather isn't good for painting and I don't have an indoor paint booth. I'll have to build stuff that can be painted after assembly and put the Saturn on the back burner for now. I have started the Little Joe II, so I might go ahead and build the Saturn's capsule while my experience from the Little Joe II is still fresh.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Saturn 1B tanks have to be painted before assembling. Unfortunately, the November weather isn't good for painting and I don't have an indoor paint booth. I'll have to build stuff that can be painted after assembly and put the Saturn on the back burner for now. I have started the Little Joe II, so I might go ahead and build the Saturn's capsule while my experience from the Little Joe II is still fresh.

That and the fins are a good winter project. I'm going to try and get the motor/stuffer tube assembly built as well.

Sean
Old 11-10-2006, 10:08 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The Saturn 1B tanks have to be painted before assembling.
I haven't opened mine yet, but curious why this would be so. It seems like with careful masking, they could be painted after partial, or even full assembly.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
I haven't opened mine yet, but curious why this would be so. It seems like with careful masking, they could be painted after partial, or even full assembly.

They can, and that's how the original as well as SEMROC's instructions suggest. However,
I'm thinking since I have to wait to paint the model anyway, it' easier to fill and paint the tubes before assembly. (And apparently others think that way too.)
I think the RMR archives has a builders tip sheet written by Bob Craddock when he built a Estes 1B clone, but I haven't been able to find it online. I'll try to find my hard copy and post it here.

Sean
Old 11-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
They can, and that's how the original as well as SEMROC's instructions suggest. However,
I'm thinking since I have to wait to paint the model anyway, it' easier to fill and paint the tubes before assembly. (And apparently others think that way too.)
I think the RMR archives has a builders tip sheet written by Bob Craddock when he built a Estes 1B clone, but I haven't been able to find it online. I'll try to find my hard copy and post it here.

Sean

And here it is....

< http://groups.google.com/group/rec....78fce998333bb31 >

Sean
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

Sean

The 1/100 scale Estes Saturn 1B I built long ago had you paint the tubes before assembly, masking areas that are glued so as to have the glue hold the original surface and not the paint. The instructions actually had you paint five separate sub-assemblies (capsule and tower, LEM body, second stage body, fuel tube unit and aft body/fin unit) prior to final build up. I noticed these plans (#2048) aren't posted in the plans section so I guess I need to get them scanned for Scott
Old 11-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK

It can be painted whatever way a person wanted to do it, but it will be much easier to prepare and paint the tubes seperately.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Master Modeler

Looking at the pic of the SEMROC Saturn 1-B parts, it looks very similar to the Estes 1/70
version. Brings back wonderful memories...