Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
The core smaple was perfect and no you can seem to kill that thing Frank. I'm glad to see the Alumilite holds up so well.

Steve

I was even more surprised to see that the BT held up. I was expecting to see it either bent in half or ripped open due to the weight of the tail cone, but that wasn't the case. There was absolutely no damage at all.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

I can almost hear the voice of John Cameron Swayze:

"It takes a licking and keeps on ticking."

Greg
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Craftsman

After the success of the back lot flight I flew the V-23 on a C6-3 at the CRASH launch on Saturday. Due to a lack of time and a paint shortage in the Reich, the V-23 flew on a base coat of desert sand that had been left over from previous Panzer Army Africa projects. To be completely safe we all donned WWII steel helmets in case she went unstable.
With great anticipation of massive carnage the launch control officer called a heads up launch and, much to the surprise of all those on hand, the V-23 slowly lifted off straight up, did a gentle roll, ejected at apogee and landed not too far from the pad. Not a plane like flight at all, it actually flew like a rocket should! It was low and it was slow but egregious amounts of nose weight had done the trick. The only damage was to my bondo repair on the nose cone tip. Flying at a mile high with no wind and no trees had resulted in an unqualified success.
I was so excited that I decided to try a D10-3 with the hope she could carry a sufficient bomb load to take out the bridge at Remagen. With my trusty Italian Ally at my side I put a little more clay in the nose and readied her for test flight number four. The V-23 ripped off the pad straight up then suddenly nosed over as the trust curve lessoned and proceeded in a horizontal powered flight well over the few trees in her path. Even with my bad eyes I could see the horizontal trail of smoke coming from the motor in back as ejection occurred and she landed well over the bridge at Bear Creek. Maybe this version would make a good recon aircraft but the more powerful motor just exemplified the V-23’s desire to fly like the rocket plane it was designed to be. The flight damage was a few minor dings on the fins from the heavy nose cone snapping back on a speedy horizontal ejection.
I think a C6-3 and low and slow is the way to go. Now the V-23 will get a camo paint job and the canopy.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
After the success of the back lot flight I flew the V-23 on a C6-3 at the CRASH launch on Saturday. Due to a lack of time and a paint shortage in the Reich, the V-23 flew on a base coat of desert sand that had been left over from previous Panzer Army Africa projects. To be completely safe we all donned WWII steel helmets in case she went unstable.
With great anticipation of massive carnage the launch control officer called a heads up launch and, much to the surprise of all those on hand, the V-23 slowly lifted off straight up, did a gentle roll, ejected at apogee and landed not too far from the pad. Not a plane like flight at all, it actually flew like a rocket should! It was low and it was slow but egregious amounts of nose weight had done the trick. The only damage was to my bondo repair on the nose cone tip. Flying at a mile high with no wind and no trees had resulted in an unqualified success.
I was so excited that I decided to try a D10-3 with the hope she could carry a sufficient bomb load to take out the bridge at Remagen. With my trusty Italian Ally at my side I put a little more clay in the nose and readied her for test flight number four. The V-23 ripped off the pad straight up then suddenly nosed over as the trust curve lessoned and proceeded in a horizontal powered flight well over the few trees in her path. Even with my bad eyes I could see the horizontal trail of smoke coming from the motor in back as ejection occurred and she landed well over the bridge at Bear Creek. Maybe this version would make a good recon aircraft but the more powerful motor just exemplified the V-23’s desire to fly like the rocket plane it was designed to be. The flight damage was a few minor dings on the fins from the heavy nose cone snapping back on a speedy horizontal ejection.
I think a C6-3 and low and slow is the way to go. Now the V-23 will get a camo paint job and the canopy.

LOL - Great post!

I'm going to try a 24mm flight myself before the weekend is out if I can pry out the 18mm motor mount to allow for the installation of a 24mm version.

How high did it get using the C6-3 and how much nose weight did you use? I expect it must have been pretty heavy.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Craftsman

I just kept pounding in the clay until the CG was just forward of the midpoint of the wing. I woud say it struggled to get a 100 feet. It looked like an Estes Guardian on a A8-3. Using a C6-5 would have been big trouble.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
I just kept pounding in the clay until the CG was just forward of the midpoint of the wing. I woud say it struggled to get a 100 feet. It looked like an Estes Guardian on a A8-3. Using a C6-5 would have been big trouble.

I'll do the same this weekend and see how things go. Your right about the C6-5. I tried that and it didn't go well.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Craftsman

Default V-23 Flight Report

After a quick ragged camouflage paint job and some left over ME-262 decals the V-23 “Black X” was ready for flight #5. I repaired the damage to the nose cone tip by utilizing a sawed off tip from my recently departed Der Grosser Vati. With the addition of the canopy I “mind simmed” that the CP had moved forward just a tad so I left in the additional nose weight I had added for the D10 powered flight #4. With visions of the heavy nose cone snapping back and smashing the canopy and fins after ejection, I loaded the V-23 on to the pad. The temperature for the flight was 19 degrees F and falling fast with a light breeze and occasional snow.

Flight #5 was just like #3 except even lower and slower. The crackling sound of the little C motor burning away to lift the weighty V-23 through the cold dense air could be clearly heard as she lifted straight up with a gentle roll, topping out at no more than 100 feet, ejecting just after apogee and landing in the soft snow with out nick or scratch some 50 yards from the pad. As the last bits of dog barf trickled down the seasoned pros in attendance dubbed the flight as boring. There is just no pleasing that tough crowd. Keep the CG forward of mid wing and with a C6-3 you have a kid tested mother approved flying model rocket worthy of hanging in a local hobby shop or your nearest Wal Mart. Put the CG aft of mid wing and get ready for a low altitude aerial circus that will both delight and terrify everyone from the hardiest back lot rouge rocketeer to the neophyte BAR. New meanings for the Luftwaffe tactics of Wild Sau and Ramcomando can be derived from each unstable flight.

Flight #6, a planned drag race with a Sunward Galactic Wave, was canceled due to the falling temperature and a rumor that allied tanks were on the way to capture the airfield. Such conditions necessitated a hasty retreat to the warmth and safety of the local tavern. Too bad since my money was on the Galactic Wave to look like a speed demon next to the V-23.

Reflecting on my V-23 experiences I am reminded of the saying by that top New York model Derek Zoolander “that there is more to male modeling than just being really really good looking.” Your model rocket has to fly good too and if it doesn’t, well, I hope some day there will be an institute for BAR’s whose rockets don’t fly good. Well, like Earth to Daddy, the V-23 is really really good looking rocket and with criminal amounts of nose weight it can fly like a “Grosse Sau”, which is my new nick name for the Black X. Like maybe someone can figure out how to fly it on a composite D or a 24mm mount, or do an upscale that would have to be at least 3 times bigger. But in the mean time I will fly it over and over again on a C6-3, building up a nice patina of black powder soot in the body tube. At least I can hang around the other male modelers with their really really good looking kits and chat nine to the dozen down at the pub about those wonderful secret weapons that were to save a collapsing Reich.