Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
I have a couple of the boosters, but nothing to test them in that I would get back .

Couldn't you design and bulid something cool to try them in?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:45 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
I have a couple of the boosters, but nothing to test them in that I would get back .

Do what I'm going to do tomorrow to fly some FSI E5-0 and D20-3 motors that I'm testing as part of the NAR Old Motor Testing Program: Use Saucers.

I've got a Quest SPEV saucer that had the entire center portion blown to bits during last week's test of Estes C5-3 motors (2 of the 3 from one date code blew and that stopped thetesting on the third, but the other date code all worked fine). I have rebuilt it with a Quest T-25 motor mount tube and I'll use the FSI motors in it (with tape). I'll also fire a few of them in my McDonald's Happy Meal flying saucer conversions that have been in a box for almost 20 years. Old motors should go in old rockets.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Do what I'm going to do tomorrow to fly some FSI E5-0 and D20-3 motors that I'm testing as part of the NAR Old Motor Testing Program: Use Saucers.

I've got a Quest SPEV saucer that had the entire center portion blown to bits during last week's test of Estes C5-3 motors (2 of the 3 from one date code blew and that stopped thetesting on the third, but the other date code all worked fine). I have rebuilt it with a Quest T-25 motor mount tube and I'll use the FSI motors in it (with tape). I'll also fire a few of them in my McDonald's Happy Meal flying saucer conversions that have been in a box for almost 20 years. Old motors should go in old rockets.

I built a SPEV to take the Quest D5. Just a warning, I flew my SPEV with a Quest D5 and it made a large arc and burned until it was about 20' from the ground. It was safe but with an E5 might have been on the ground before it was burned out.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I built a SPEV to take the Quest D5. Just a warning, I flew my SPEV with a Quest D5 and it made a large arc and burned until it was about 20' from the ground. It was safe but with an E5 might have been on the ground before it was burned out.

Good safety advice.

1) Was there any wind?

2) Did you use a standard Estes 30" launch rod or either the 1/8" x 4 foot long steel or the 3/16" x 5 foot long steel rod I plan to use?

luckily the Estes Snitch I flew used the good batch of C5-3 motors. Excellent speed off the rod and ejection was very high up (no flaming bits got anywhere near the ground).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Good safety advice.

1) Was there any wind?

2) Did you use a standard Estes 30" launch rod or either the 1/8" x 4 foot long steel or the 3/16" x 5 foot long steel rod I plan to use?

1) Yes, winds were light. I flew my old Astrocam and it was landing within 50' or so of the pad. It did turn into the little wind there was.

2) I did not use an Estes rod or any rod you plan to use I used a 36" long 1/8" single piece rod. There was no tipoff, it took off completely straight and as I described, the flight was an arc, a continuous slow turn during the entire thrust, and about 1/3 of the thrust phase was with the rocket pointing down. I have seen long burn saucers do this before. If you use a 100' rod yours will probably fly straight.

You probably will be fine as I think about it the E5 was certified by NAR at 21.5 n/s, barely more than the D5. In addition, the arc I saw could have been caused by a slight thrust misalignment or the SPEV shell I got that has a slight warp. I would love to see a video of your flight. I was saving an E5 but now I wonder....
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Any further news when the big Quest BP E and F motors will actually be up for sale ???
I wanted to try a few but am starting to get that vaporware feeling.....

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Any news on these at all??? I am very anxious for the release but I am starting to pick up the vaporware vibe, alot like the quest 18mm D
Old 09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobschmoot
Any news on these at all??? I am very anxious for the release but I am starting to pick up the vaporware vibe, alot like the quest 18mm D

They are coming. Lots of new regulations to deal with at the ports as I understand it.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobschmoot

Complete explanation given at the NARAM Manufacturer's forum.

Go to NARAMlive website, look for the day of the forum, then listen to the audio file.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the replies, i guess i will just have to sit around and wait for them....