Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

The Phoenix Bird had thin wall ST-13 tubes and the Enerjet 1340 had thicker wall, perhaps Minimax or custom tubing, that being the only kit I recall seeing it. TWO different nose cone and coupler molds! The 1340 fins came red and the Phoenix Bird Blue and later other colors. Same mold. Lee once discussed the mold in great detail with me and mentioned several ways he wished he changed the design to improve strength and manufacturability.

They always gave spare PB's for retail demos we did and public displays like football halftime shows, fairs, and air shows. We were outreach gods.

MPC gave a lot of "Moon Go's", Centuri "Phoenix Birds", and Estes "Big Berthas".

On that BEAUTIFUL Phoenix Bird photo, the first one has a Nike-Ram plastic nose cone, the second a Phoenix Bird nose cone and the third would be an Enerjet 1340 nose cone if it were red plastic and for thicker wall tube. The 1340 coupler has a band in the middle so that looks original. I want 10,000 parts from that mold.

Jerry

Polaris Section 193 Claremont, CA
Old 10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The fact that I can't make the decals.
Got all the parts, but without the decals I just never really felt the need to move it up in the queue.

Hokey Smokes!

I never realized there were no plans or scans available.

When I get all my stuff out of storage (basement flood ) I'll open mine and get to scanning.

What I'd really like is to get it built, then have Lee and Betty sign it.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Yes Jerry, but note that's NOT the Phoenix Bird you think it is. Apparently they're doing it all in BT-55 and balsa! (of course, with a good finish it will probably be a bit lighter and will outperform the old PB).

I'm still hoping that's not the case. If it is, I would have a REAL hard time calling this a "Classic Series." If these kits aren't true to the originals, they're just new rockets based on old classic designs.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
GET GOONY!!

I agree. 'Classic Rockets' built using Centuri decals and ESTES parts are not really classics, no more than my new Mini Cooper is a Classic Mini Cooper.

I know that the models built for the Hobby Show are just that: demo models.
Althougth I am very happy to see real kits, and a return to an emphasis on hobby shop sales, not to mention the resurrection of Centuri designs, I sure do hope ESTES releases these with the correctly sized and thickness tubes.

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Ah! That's the firm evidence I needed for another thread. I think I have one of those short nose cones.

did the 1340 come with both noses, or is that long nosed one a clone?

Roy,

I did a bit of research when building my 1340 clones for NARAM-48.

A brief article in one of the issues of Enerjet News shows the 'short/stubby' nose cone on the model. This cone was used on the Enerjet Nike Ram model.

When the 1340 went into production, it used the longer nose cone.

I hope that the re-issued Phoenix Bird comes out with plastic parts like the original. I used up all the fin cans and nose cones I bought from Estes.

Here's a picture of Lee Piester at NARAM-48 with one of my Enerjet 1340 clones.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Lee Piester with Enerjet 1340.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  71.4 KB  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I hope that the re-issued Phoenix Bird comes out with plastic parts like the original. I used up all the fin cans and nose cones I bought from Estes.

Is the Estes Eliminator (Maniac in different colors) OOP now? If not, just use the parts from one of those.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-24-2008, 09:57 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Ah! That's the firm evidence I needed for another thread. I think I have one of those short nose cones.

did the 1340 come with both noses, or is that long nosed one a clone?

Another place I've seen the short PNC-132 shaped cone was on the 1340 brochure cover. Chris Timm generously submitted copies of all the EnerJet brochures a while back and the one for the 1340 is here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/enerj...340/enj1340.htm

Jerry may know but I doubt that short coned version was ever a production model. The dimensioned drawing inside that same brochure shows the long cone. The plastic cone and coupler of the 1340 would have been special parts that the Phoenix Bird would not have shared since the id of the 1340 was a thicker walled airframe and the Phoenix Bird was ST-13 as Jerry noted. I'd still like to build the Phoenix Bird but as others have mentioned mostly for the decals, not for the newer balsa parts (if that is what it will indeed ship with).

Also some good clone info from Chris, Bob and others that contributed to this thread I started Jan. 2006 about the 1340. Clone parts lists, RockSim files ect are here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=632

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 10-25-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Only place I've ever seen the short PNC-132 shaped cone was on the 1340 brochure cover. Chris Timm generously submitted copies of all the EnerJet brochures a while back and the one for the 1340 is here:

http://www.oldrocketplans.com/enerj...340/enj1340.htm

Jerry may know but I doubt that short coned version was ever a production model. The dimensioned drawing inside that same brochure shows the long cone. The plastic cone and coupler of the 1340 would have been special parts that the Phoenix Bird would not have shared since the id of the 1340 was a thicker walled airframe and the Phoenix Bird was ST-13 as Jerry noted. I'd still like to build the Phoenix Bird but as others have mentioned mostly for the decals, not for the newer balsa parts (if that is what it will indeed ship with).

Also some good clone info from Chris, Bob and others that contributed to this thread I started Jan. 2006 about the 1340. Clone parts lists, RockSim files ect are here:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=632

Here's the 1340 clone I flew at NARAM on a F27-8 redline, signed by Lee. The cone is an original PNC-132 with a 'TC13' coupler that Al Andrake used to sell. Looks like a piece of LOC 29mm motor tube. I think I prefer the short cone, personally.
Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  E1340_SIGNED.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  141.3 KB  
Old 10-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Here's the 1340 clone I flew at NARAM on a F27-8 redline, signed by Lee. The cone is an original PNC-132 with a 'TC13' coupler that Al Andrake used to sell. Looks like a piece of LOC 29mm motor tube. I think I prefer the short cone, personally.
Sean

I should have mentioned that I used Als heavy duty version of the ST13 tubing.

Sean
Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Sean

Sean,

I forgot to mention the wealth of information you have shared with me to assist with the building of my EnerJet models I detailed on YORF.

I couldn't attend NARAM but I remember someone had reported that you flew that model at NARAM on a F27, possibly AL (Green Dragon) and that Lee signed it for you. That's awesome!

I remember thinking way to go Sean. Flying an EnerJet clone on an F composite at NARAM AND having it signed by Lee. How proud you must be of your 1340!

My model still has a hardwood nose cone not the PNC-132 but I'd still like to obtain an original plastic PNC-132 one day to put on top of it.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 10-25-2008 at 08:42 AM.