Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2021, 12:12 PM
Master Modeler

Yes, one of the Electro-Launches was completely unassembled (and appeared to have all the parts). The other one looked lightly used if at all....but that always makes me worry about leaky D cells inside.

But what drove me to bid as high as I did was that Alpha III/Quasar. The paperwork (and decals) for a red/white Alpha III were in the pictures but that didn't square with the model itself.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-06-2021, 08:31 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Yes, one of the Electro-Launches was completely unassembled (and appeared to have all the parts). The other one looked lightly used if at all....but that always makes me worry about leaky D cells inside.

But what drove me to bid as high as I did was that Alpha III/Quasar. The paperwork (and decals) for a red/white Alpha III were in the pictures but that didn't square with the model itself.

Can you post the link for that closed auction? I'd like to see what it included. Thanks!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-06-2021, 09:11 PM
CG to close to CP

Old 02-06-2021, 10:39 PM
Craftsman

Yep - that was the right auction.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:38 PM
Master Modeler

Default More translucent white Alpha III nose cones

Last weekend I attended the last launch to be held by the Blue Mountain Rocketeers, called, appropriately, “Last Blast”. At the event Tim Quigg had a couple of bins of stuff to give away—kits mostly, but some loose parts and a few other things. Rooting around in the parts bag I came across these, and immediately grabbed them.

Their provenance is unknown and there were no other Alpha III/Quasar parts in the bag (that I saw, anyway). They are translucent like the one on the Quasar in the eBay listing that had me start this thread back in February….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  F5022315-0CF5-43FB-84BD-34363EC1B423.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  1.52 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 10-09-2021, 09:25 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I know that in one of the other Alpha threads I had a conversation with someone who said he had a model with translucent white fins and/or nose cone of the Alpha III variety. I was skeptical. (And try as I might, I can't find that conversation now.)

Well, this afternoon I was outbid literally at the last second (and after my bid was far higher than I wanted to go) for a lot that included two Electro-Launches, one built and one unassembled, and this:

Anyone know any more?

All I know is when you'd get a chromed part in the past (anyone, not just Estes), the base plastic part was usually a translucent white (i.e. no pigment at all)

So when these parts started life in late 1970-early 71, they had the red for the Alpha III and the chrome for the Citation Quasar. In addition they clipped the fin units (would they have spent money on A. another mold, or B. inserts to the mold to form the clip? No, they would've created a jig to clip the parts before chroming).

Later, when the Quasar transitioned to the regular bagged Estes line, they eventually ran out of chromed parts (and clipped fin units)
Old 10-09-2021, 07:55 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
All I know is when you'd get a chromed part in the past (anyone, not just Estes), the base plastic part was usually a translucent white (i.e. no pigment at all)

So when these parts started life in late 1970-early 71, they had the red for the Alpha III and the chrome for the Citation Quasar. In addition they clipped the fin units (would they have spent money on A. another mold, or B. inserts to the mold to form the clip? No, they would've created a jig to clip the parts before chroming).

Later, when the Quasar transitioned to the regular bagged Estes line, they eventually ran out of chromed parts (and clipped fin units)

I suspect that Estes had more of the Quasar body tube wraps than plastic parts and that is why Estes continued to sell the Quasar kit in some form.