Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Craftsman

Default Centuri Orion KC-8 Clone - Pod Nose cone/Wrap

I ordered the parts for the clone from Semroc but I didn't know what to do for the pod nose cones. The parts list said the pod tubes are ST-7 but I found a reference to PNC-20Y for the nose cones but they're for the BT-20 body tubes. Will they work? Or should I have gotten BT-20 body tubes for the pods?

Also, can anyone suggest wraps? I saw a thread that Intruder built a clone using Little Joe wraps. The thread goes back to 2005 or so and now it's five years later. Is there a place that I could get wraps that would work well?

Last edited by bobdros : 02-06-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdros
I ordered the parts for the clone from Semroc but I didn't know what to do for the pod nose cones. The parts list said the pod tubes are ST-7 but I found a reference to PNC-20Y for the nose cones but they're for the BT-20 body tubes. Will they work? Or should I have gotten BT-20 body tubes for the pods?

Also, can anyone suggest wraps? I saw a thread that Intruder built a clone using Little Joe wraps. The thread goes back to 2005 or so and now it's five years later. Is there a place that I could get wraps that would work well?

Nobody has commercially available Orion wraps, or 1/100 scale Saturn wraps, which is what the Orion wraps are based on. There is a guy that has made some vacuformed Saturn wraps in the past, but I don't know if he still does. It's a one-at-a-time, very low volume affair if he does.

You should try making the wraps like Kody (Intruder) did. They look great and it will prepare you for building the SEMROC Saturn 1B if you haven't already. All you need are the LJ wraps and some scrap balsa.

The SEMROC site is down right now, so I can't look. When it comes back up, I'll check my order history and see what I bought for Kody's Orion.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Centuri Orion pod cones and tubes

Quote:
The pod nose cones should be Semroc BC-710, which are copies of the original Centuri PNC-71. The pod tubes should be 3" long ST-7's, or Semroc ST-730's. Your main tube should be an ST-20, with the appropriate Semroc substitute for a Centuri PNC-231.

That's all I've got!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
The pod nose cones should be Semroc BC-710, which are copies of the original Centuri PNC-71. The pod tubes should be 3" long ST-7's, or Semroc ST-730's. Your main tube should be an ST-20, with the appropriate Semroc substitute for a Centuri PNC-231.

That's all I've got!

Cheers,

The pod NC numbers ring a bell in my head, so that must be what I bought for Kody's. SEMROC is still down and I can't check it, but if you can't trust a CenturiGuy for Centuri rockets, who can ya trust?

BTW, it's the same for the Athena, but you make 4 pods.

Oh yeah, I just thought of another wrap source. Jim Neubauer makes wraps for his upscale Orion. You can take his wrap and do some cutting on it for the regular sized Orion, as they are Saturn wraps with an extra piece grafted to the end.

You can contact him and see if he will sell you the wrap separately. It will be considerably more expensive than making your own with LJ wraps from SEMROC and the wraps are bumpy due to the vacuum holes, so you will have to consider the pros and cons of each to make your decision.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the prompt responses! I'll have to check out the LJ wraps. I saw the BC-7XXs at Semroc but I didn't know which one to pick so I did further searches and found a reference to the PNC-20Y and they looked about the right shape. It seems that they're not compatible with the ST-7 tubes. Now that I know that the BC-710s will fit I'll have to order them.

I had gotten the Stiletto repro kit from Semroc and I didn't need to order anything else. I didn't realize that I should have ordered the other parts listed from Semroc though there wasn't an "add to cart" button for each. I was wondering about the nose cones and the BT-20 coupler for the ejection baffle. Will a coupler fit between the rings of the ejection baffle kit?

I found a PDF for the exhaust nozzle. What diameter ring should I get to fit in the nozzle. (I think it's the ST7-ST20 adapter ring.)

I did a search for decals and found Excselior has great decals for all kinds of repros. I order the Orion and Stiletto decals. I can't wait!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt responses! I'll have to check out the LJ wraps. I saw the BC-7XXs at Semroc but I didn't know which one to pick so I did further searches and found a reference to the PNC-20Y and they looked about the right shape. It seems that they're not compatible with the ST-7 tubes. Now that I know that the BC-710s will fit I'll have to order them.

I had gotten the Stiletto repro kit from Semroc and I didn't need to order anything else. I didn't realize that I should have ordered the other parts listed from Semroc though there wasn't an "add to cart" button for each. I was wondering about the nose cones and the BT-20 coupler for the ejection baffle. Will a coupler fit between the rings of the ejection baffle kit?

I found a PDF for the exhaust nozzle. What diameter ring should I get to fit in the nozzle. (I think it's the ST7-ST20 adapter ring.)

I did a search for decals and found Excselior has great decals for all kinds of repros. I order the Orion and Stiletto decals. I can't wait!

Your decals are ready to send but I was late getting to the post office today so they have to go out on Monday. Sorry!

Although I've had some printer problems the Orion decals were already printed so you lucked out there.

Paul Graff is the guy that made vacuum wraps that will fit the Orion. I don't know how you can still contact. He used to be registered on the old TRF but I don't think he is now.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Paul Graff is the guy that made vacuum wraps that will fit the Orion. I don't know how you can still contact. He used to be registered on the old TRF but I don't think he is now.

His email was grafgulch@aol.com. You could try emailing him.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Craftsman

I got the Orion and Stiletto decals today and they look like the originals! Wow!

I emailed Jim Neubauer to see if he still makes the wraps and what they might cost. I'll do the same for Paul Graff.

I also got the parts I ordered from Semroc today. The Semroc parts list said the the coupler is a BTC-20 and it's probably 4" or so but the parts list showed the baffle as 1.75" and the centering coupler as 3/4" so I'm thinking I have to cut it, right?

I'll go back to Semroc when they're back online and order the rest of my parts.

Thanks, guys!

Bob
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

SENROC is back. I was just there.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

I need to update those pages!

The original Orion used an unnumbered Centuri nose cone (our BC-1315) and a paper shroud to go from ST-13 to ST-20. The original pods were Centuri BC-71 (our BC-711) and were later replaced by Centuri PNC-71 (our BC-710). A few months later, the balsa-shroud nose cone was replaced with the Centuri PNC-231 (our BC-2032). Dr. Bob Craddock from the Smithsonian loaned us an early production Orion to use to create a close to original model. I do not think very many were made with all balsa cones, so that is the one we want to recreate.

We have everything ready to kit the Orion except the wrap. We had considered a paper and balsa-detailed wrap since it is hard to get a perfect styrene wrap.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com