Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 08:31 AM
Mad for modrocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I also like JimZ's new an improved website. I wonder how putting up plans for current kits will go with the new owners of Estes. Not that it matters - many of the new "plans" are low quality. He's just accepting anything and throwing partially complete information up thaere as "plans."

I have no legal background, just wondering if any liability in this case lies with those submitting current Estes plans? Although I could be wrong I don't believe every single plan has been copyrighted, and if so, no copyright infringement can be claimed?

At any rate, Jimmy Z's site remains a valuable resource for OOP models and historical info, especially for now-defunct manufacturers.

“Minds are like parachutes--they only function when open”. —Thomas Dewar

Last edited by Rktman : 06-30-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Cars, Games, Rockets Oh my

To be fair almost every one of Estes kits both current and oop are available on their own website to download. They understand there is a market for the parts to make the kits from the instructions. The rate that they discontinue kits (it is really quite amazing) most will be oop soon anyway. Also a lot of the old "main" line kits have had plans on Jim's page for over a decade (Alpha/Yankee/Bertha/etc).
Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktman
I have no legal background, just wondering if any liability in this case lies with those submitting current Estes plans? Although I could be wrong I don't believe every single plan has been copyrighted, and if so, no copyright infringement can be claimed?

At any rate, Jimmy Z's site remains a valuable resource for OOP models and historical info, especially for now defunct manufacturers.

He’s not selling them and they are already available from the owner, there is no issue at all in my opinion.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:31 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rktman
Glad to see the JimZ site active again! It's always been an invaluable treasure trove of past rocket plans and info.

There's also my site at www.oldrocketplans.com with lots of stuff JimZ doesn't have.

Also all the plans I and others now post right here:

https://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM
Avid Builder

Scott,
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but I have not seen it.
Just wondering why you cannot update the YORP site directly instead of posting new plans here?
It would be more convenient searching at one spot instead of two.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:08 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Scott,
Forgive me if this has been covered already, but I have not seen it.
Just wondering why you cannot update the YORP site directly instead of posting new plans here?
It would be more convenient searching at one spot instead of two.

Back in 2012 my old computer croaked that had the website software on it. I can no longer update the site due to that. You'll note there's been no new items added since 2012. Also, the software I used was Microsoft FrontPage. It was big in the 2000's but is now dead. Microsoft doesn't support it anymore and webhosts no longer support the FrontPage Extensions that were required on the host end for FP uploads to work.

I'm able to upload files to the old site so I store new, large plans that people send me there and post the direct link to the files in the Plans forum here.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558

Last edited by Ltvscout : 06-30-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
He’s not selling them and they are already available from the owner, there is no issue at all in my opinion.

In your opinion? Nice. The new Estes owners' opinion was stated at the last NARCON. Something about taking better care of their intellectual property. But I suppose this audience doesn't know about that. In that context, I was "just wondering...."

and btw... INSTRUCTION SHEETS are not PLANS.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
In your opinion? Nice. The new Estes owners' opinion was stated at the last NARCON. Something about taking better care of their intellectual property. But I suppose this audience doesn't know about that. In that context, I was "just wondering...."

and btw... INSTRUCTION SHEETS are not PLANS.

No need to digitally yell, I didn’t know new plans were being put there, I thought it was instructions which were for most part already available at the Estes site. I’m pretty careful to say my opinion when I am not an authority. I have had an IP class and have a friend that was an IP attorney so I have been in a lot of discussions about IP so I may offer an opionon in a respectful way. I haven’t heard or seen anything about that at NARCON, is what they said available to read/view?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Avid Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Back in 2012 my old computer croaked that had the website software on it. I can no longer update the site due to that. You'll note there's been no new items added since 2012. Also, the software I used was Microsoft FrontPage. It was big in the 2000's but is now dead. Microsoft doesn't support it anymore and webhosts no longer support the FrontPage Extensions that were required on the host end for FP uploads to work.

I'm able to upload files to the old site so I store new, large plans that people send me there and post the direct link to the files in the Plans forum here.

Thanks Scott!
Words alone cannot express the appreciation I have for all your efforts, and those of your contributors.