Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Someone tattled. The listing is gone.

I have a couple of 40gal Rubbermaids filled with old BP and AP motors that were shipped via parcel post. They don't suddenly become less "dangerous" or get handled in a different way when you slap a special label on the box. All parcel post is shipped the same way.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

I have a couple of 40gal Rubbermaids filled with old BP and AP motors that were shipped via parcel post. They don't suddenly become less "dangerous" or get handled in a different way when you slap a special label on the box. All parcel post is shipped the same way.

Yes, that is the silly part of it all. If the regs called for some type of 'superior' packaging of some sort (not necessary in my viewpoint) I might could better understand it. But you are right: the motors don't become magically any more 'safe' because some paperwork requirement has been met. May make some bureaucrat feel better about things, but it changes NOTHING.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:

I'll be happy to save you the danger of reshipping them, I'll pick them up.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 AM
BAR

I agree, to a point... paperwork for paperwork's sake does nothing to enhance safety...

BUT, IMHO flouting the regs is just begging for a jackboot on our neck. Yeah, I know it happens a lot... but that's beside the point.

DO we REALLY want to go there?? Remember awhile back when they were talking about tightening up the shipping reg exemptions... what a stink that caused?? How much trouble and expense that would be to comply with???

I agree that the regs are rather stupid as-is... after all, you can ship literally a crate of model rocket motors together so long as individually they're under 62.5 grams propellant each, and be legal... stuff like that makes no sense... and basically it's been proven that the dangers are minimal, probably far less than that of a lot of other materials...

BUT, we live in a world LOOKING for ANY EXCUSE to tighten up the regs, not loosen them... personally I don't think the best way to get rid of the regs is to simply flout them... we need them changed, but to our benefit, not our harm...

Rocketry has always strived to prove we can 'self regulate' and don't need Uncle Sam twisting our arm to do so... seems like that's gone out the window, I guess... hopelessly outdated...

Anyway, this is my opinion on the subject... of course yall can have your own... makes little diffference to me...

Later! OL JR
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Banned

Luke, all,

I am guilty also of receiving items in the mail, from sellers on ebay, that contain motors. There is never any HAZMAT stickers on the box, and they are shipped first class.

Now before you go throwing rocks, some of YOU guys on here are shipping said items to me!

So, what do we do? Do we boycott ebay and not buy collectibles or motors at lower prices from the ebay site? Do we snitch on the seller?

We have one guy, Jerry Irvine. who got into BIG TROUBLE shipping motors... so do we out all the other little Irvine's on this board and unsuspecting sellers?

BP used to be shipped 4th class back in the day. I remember getting motors in the mail with out any issues. Times have changed and so have the regulations.

Its really hard because to be honest with you, I see a 30+ year old sealed rocketry outfit with motors inside on ebay, and I can bid and win it at a price I am happy with ... I am 99.9999% sure I will bid, and if i win accept it from the seller as long as the description and the pictures match the auction. I guess that makes me a threat to the hobby.

I do apologize, but I am not out to hurt this hobby ... the hobby that was my passport to a better life as an adult!

I used to ship motors to people ... people here on this board. One of them was nice enough to remind me of my responsibility to the hobby to not ship motors in the mail; thanks Chas.

But as the receiver, and someone who collects all that is rocketry, motors included, its hard to give up bidding and receiving motors.

Jonathan

P.s. Another Arizona border patrol agent was killed yesterday ... I wonder if mailing rocket motors is equal to our borders unsecure and our citizens killed? I feel that motors inside of outfits, or shipped a pack or two at a time should be allowed. 200 lbs of BP goes private ground carrier with all the paperwork. One or two packs of C motors ... common this stuff isn't radioactive!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Out to launch...

Listing is back - same price, no motors...Funny
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LARGE-MODEL...=item20cbfd2132
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I finally got to see this listing now that it was re-posted. If that's worth $4000, then I'm a millionaire!

Judging by what he is selling, it almost looks like as if he either used to live in SE WI or came to visit to buy a lot of his collection in the late 90's. There's a hobby shop here that area members will know, Model Empire, that had everything he is selling back in the late 90's. I bought a lot of what is in my collection from them. I also made a lot of money reselling that stuff in the late 90's/early 2000's on my old, manually updated, Ye Olde Rocket Auction auctions.

Most of the real good old Centuri and Estes stuff at Model Empire went poof when Kurt Schachner took Bob Craddock there when Bob was in town visiting. Bob bought a lot of stuff.

I also got fantastic deals from and bought a lot of my collection from Penn Valley Hobby in the late 90's. Before they started using the internet they'd send out a newspaper catalog that listed a ton of OOP kits, at original retail prices!

Another old hobby store that had lots of great stuff in the late 90's was Earl's Hobbies in Bellflower, CA. Lots of old motors and Centuri goodies. An earthquake rattled their building around 2000 and it was condemned. They closed shop and sold inventory to a guy who sold it off on eBay. Of course then there were no more deals.

Back in that same time frame there was a hobby shop overseas, in the UK I believe, that was selling #2001 Saturn V's, #2048 Saturn 1b's, Titan IIIE's, and other assorted OOP kits at original retail prices. I bought a bunch of each so shipping averaged out to only a few dollars per kit.

In that same era A to Z Hobbies came across old inventory of Centuri motors in a warehouse in Indiana. (Same one John Brohm got all his Centuri motors from if I'm not mistaken.) They were selling old B14's and other OOP motors in the old Orange/Black/White boxes, for just over $2 a box! Needless to say I bought a ton of those.

Ahhhh, those were the days...
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That person is smoking some serious BAD CRACK thinking he is going to get anywhere near what he is asking for that common stuff. Most of it is what I put into the "Old JUNK" class. Most was not interesting when new, and just being old does not make it anymore interesting.

Stupid shipping regs just to have regs ARE the jackboot already on our neck.
Ebay is full of a bunch of weenies; they do not have responsibility how their sellers ship ANYTHING unless they have direct information they WILL be shipped illegally.
They have the same crap attitude toward fireworks too.
DON'T ASK. Plausible deniability should ALWAYS be acceptable in ALL instances. If it's good enuff for the gubmint it should ALWAYS be good enuff for it's citizens.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 PM
BAR

I hear ya Jon and others...

So be it...

What I find mildly amusing is, when something DOES happen eventually and the DOT puts in a fistful of kneejerk reaction regulations to "deal" with the problem, the level of squealing and crying and wailing and gnashing of teeth that will come from certain quarters, mostly the same ones that were saying "do whatever you want" before it happened...

Later! OL JR
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Another old hobby store that had lots of great stuff in the late 90's was Earl's Hobbies in Bellflower, CA. Lots of old motors and Centuri goodies. An earthquake rattled their building around 2000 and it was condemned. They closed shop and sold inventory to a guy who sold it off on eBay. Of course then there were no more deals.

I remember driving up to Earl's from San Diego many times during the mid-late 1980s.

That place was amazing. Product stayed on the shelf until it sold no matter how old it was.

Orbital Transports, Sandhawks, A-20 Demons, Skylabs, Super-Kits, Long Toms and many more were displayed on pegs with six-eight of each kit.

There was also a 10% discount on rocket kits.

I would always go there with at least $100.00 in my wallet and usually returned home with no cash left.

*Sigh*