Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2022, 12:10 PM
BP Mafia

Default Micro Maxx - First and last

I picked up a couple of MicroMaxx kits and parts for a scratch build from Semroc back before Christmas, but the small size of the parts made me think twice about starting on them at the time. Last Friday I got exiled to a satellite office where little ever happens and finding something to keep busy is a challenge. I took along the MM kits and parts along with me to work and made them my down time projects for the day.
The two kits were the Cherokee D and Blue Bird Zero. The parts were for a Red Max. I got the fins cut for the Max and got them on along with the Cherokee. Then I started on the internals. Or tried to start.
AAAUGHHH!!!! How can anything be so small? I got the motor mount for the Cherokee together, but when I went to mount it, the rings were too big. Just like my fingers.
So, here things stand. I think I'll eventually finish and fly all three of these birds, but my long-standing suspicion that Micro-Maxx stuff is just too small to bother with is probably going to end things for me here.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-29-2022, 12:27 PM
Master Modeler

That's too bad, in a way. Every time I build a MicroMaxx bird I have thoughts like that, but then when I fly them I go "that was cool!". Fair warning

Actually my favorite one right now is a Mosquito that I put a MicroMaxx motor mount and a small streamer in. It goes high enough to be fun but doesn't just disapppear like a Mosquito usually does. As a MicroMaxx bird it is not that great a performer, but it's still way better than the plastic RTF models Quest used to sell for these motors.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 03-29-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:56 PM
BAR

Our club has had a couple March MicroMaxx madness events, held in the parking lot of a LHS. We do have a bunch of fun! Of course, all I've flown so far are some RTF & simple minimum diameter birds. Haven't tackled the Fliskits Saturn V or ASP Hawk.

One thing I will say is to ditch the Quest 9v controller - one fresh Alkaline battery is good for maybe 3 flights. Now I use my 12v system.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-30-2022, 09:30 PM
Flying since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I picked up a couple of MicroMaxx kits and parts for a scratch build from Semroc back before Christmas, but the small size of the parts made me think twice about starting on them at the time. Last Friday I got exiled to a satellite office where little ever happens and finding something to keep busy is a challenge. I took along the MM kits and parts along with me to work and made them my down time projects for the day.
The two kits were the Cherokee D and Blue Bird Zero. The parts were for a Red Max. I got the fins cut for the Max and got them on along with the Cherokee. Then I started on the internals. Or tried to start.
AAAUGHHH!!!! How can anything be so small? I got the motor mount for the Cherokee together, but when I went to mount it, the rings were too big. Just like my fingers.
So, here things stand. I think I'll eventually finish and fly all three of these birds, but my long-standing suspicion that Micro-Maxx stuff is just too small to bother with is probably going to end things for me here.

Bill, you need to include tweezers and a glue applicator in your tool kit when building MicroMaxx. I like to use a left over straw from a can of canned air for a glue applicator. Depending on your eyesight, you might need to use a magnifying glass as well. I haven’t tried any Semorc MMX kits, but the FlisKits MMX line was well done.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 03-30-2022, 11:00 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My fingers told me anything smaller than BT-50 is now considered a Micro-Maxx, and shall be avoided. And my BT-50 rockets now fly on streamers — no packing chutes in such a small tube.

I cannot believe I packed a 24” chute in my Astron Drifter when I was a kid. It deployed great, but then started climbing, and heading east, never to be found. It was my second rocket. What a disappointment!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 03-30-2022 at 11:27 PM.