Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2022, 11:36 AM
Master Modeler

Default Dr Zooch rocket wishes.

I have always wish that I had collected all the Dr Zooch kits. I have always thought it would be nice to have a place to find the plans and measurements for the tubes and someone would do 3D files for the nose cones.

I had high hopes eRockets would reproduce them, but I don't think this is going to happen.

Would it be wrong to post the plans with measurements?????
Old 02-02-2022, 02:42 PM
Master Modeler

I have read that, and I know about copyrights and yet there are so many instructions posted all over the net. I won't infringe on anyone's right; I'm just saying it would be nice to have the ability to have a full set of these rockets.

I have all his Saturn 1B's and I'm getting ready to build them. I have gone through the wraps and redrawn them to make them clearer, add more detail, and sharpen the line in some areas.

There's plenty of build threads of these rocket that can give enough hints that one might be able to build them from those threads.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:45 PM
Sometimes collector

eRockets bought the rights and still produces two of the kits, so you should ask Randy.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:10 AM
Cardstock Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I have always wish that I had collected all the Dr Zooch kits. I have always thought it would be nice to have a place to find the plans and measurements for the tubes and someone would do 3D files for the nose cones.

I had high hopes eRockets would reproduce them, but I don't think this is going to happen.

Would it be wrong to post the plans with measurements?????

Yes, it would be totally wrong.

Mike
Old 02-10-2022, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer
Yes, it would be totally wrong.

Mike

I bet you were a "hall monitor" in school . . .
Old 02-10-2022, 07:22 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I have read that, and I know about copyrights and yet there are so many instructions posted all over the net. I won't infringe on anyone's right; I'm just saying it would be nice to have the ability to have a full set of these rockets.

I have all his Saturn 1B's and I'm getting ready to build them. I have gone through the wraps and redrawn them to make them clearer, add more detail, and sharpen the line in some areas.

There's plenty of build threads of these rocket that can give enough hints that one might be able to build them from those threads.

You could try and contact Wes personally and ask - though with the sale of the brand and designs to eRockets I guess it’s really up to Randy. This is one of those instances where a “plan pack” and parts kit might be a viable option for a vendor - the Dr. Z kits don’t use anything too special (the only thing proprietary is some of the nose cones - there aren’t much in the way of decals either) - the instructions and wraps are the unique bits that make a Dr. Z kit what it is.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
You could try and contact Wes personally and ask - though with the sale of the brand and designs to eRockets I guess it’s really up to Randy. This is one of those instances where a “plan pack” and parts kit might be a viable option for a vendor - the Dr. Z kits don’t use anything too special (the only thing proprietary is some of the nose cones - there aren’t much in the way of decals either) - the instructions and wraps are the unique bits that make a Dr. Z kit what it is.

Well, Scott_650 there's no way I would ask Randy about those instructions. I order too much from eRockets ,and I want to receive them all in good shape.

I have a 3D printer and can print nose cones close to a reasonable shape of Dr. Zs and as for the wraps, I think I can draw something close to what I would need.

Right now, I don't see Randy producing anything more than the two Dr. Zs kits he has now.
That's alright because Randy is doing a pretty good job giving us all some good kits.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Well, Scott_650 there's no way I would ask Randy about those instructions. I order too much from eRockets ,and I want to receive them all in good shape.

I have a 3D printer and can print nose cones close to a reasonable shape of Dr. Zs and as for the wraps, I think I can draw something close to what I would need.

Right now, I don't see Randy producing anything more than the two Dr. Zs kits he has now.
That's alright because Randy is doing a pretty good job giving us all some good kits.

Hah! Randy’s a pretty good guy so I doubt he’d sabotage your orders - besides, you might try a different vendor if your stuff arrives spindled and mutilated 😆

Hopefully as supply issues improve we’ll see more Dr. Z kits from eRockets - fingers crossed!

Paper models are a reasonable source for wraps - I’ve done display models using paper models and body tubes.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:58 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I enjoy both kits they have. I would be in line to buy more when they come. I remember seeing his table at MDRA launches and thinking " I should buy more of these"....nice to see I am not alone. Great kits and the instructions are some of my favorites
Old 03-10-2022, 02:54 PM
Master Modeler

I'm sure there are a lot of us who have kicked ourselves in the but for not buying at least one of every one of his kits. I know I have.

I would bet any amount of money that Randy's not going to make too many of Dr. Zooch kits.
Not even the Saturn 1b series kits.