Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2022, 07:22 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Default Launch Date: March 3rd, 2022

Thursday, March 3rd, six Colorado Front Range rocketeers journeyed to Dove Valley Park in Centennial, Colorado to fly in perfect weather conditions.
A wide range of models were successfully launched: Gliders (both free-flight and RC), vintage models, scale models, futuristic models, video cams…you name it.
The full launch session report can be found here, on my most excellent blog:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.co...h-3rd-2022.html
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Bauer Biden.PNG
Views: 59
Size:  622.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cobb Merc Atlas 2.PNG
Views: 53
Size:  472.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FlatCat C 1.PNG
Views: 58
Size:  537.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Gazur Test Bed 2.PNG
Views: 55
Size:  415.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reep Skeletor 2.PNG
Views: 57
Size:  533.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Spohn Big Bertha 1.PNG
Views: 59
Size:  457.7 KB  

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2022, 01:31 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Overall, a great day for flying rockets. We were lucky to have such a great day with sun, blue sky, and temps in the low 70s. We were back down in Denver yesterday, with icy winter conditions and accidents everywhere. Typical Colorado winters.

I once again had an 2018 original release Q-Jet motor failure, again on my Hex-3. No great loss, I bought the kit dirt cheap on a Hobby Lobby sale, but I am trying to see how many flights I can get on it, and the Q-Jets are not making it easy.

This time, I had a casing burn-thru at the top end of the casing. Flight was normal at liftoff, then turned wildly erratic. The picture tells the story. I may give it a duct tape patch and press my luck with one of the remaining Q-Jets I have.

Pressing my luck further, I flew my Skeletor rocket (considered disposable) with an Estes E12-4, for a great flight with no issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  F8EE0A48-3EED-4AB2-BD7A-B5C03235C550.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  198.2 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-07-2022, 06:32 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That's a NICELY TORCHED Q-jet casing.
Was it a C or D ? Black Jack or White Lightning ?
They really need to get Blue Thunder in those. A nice D30-ish 18mm would ROCK.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-08-2022, 06:54 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
<snip>I once again had an 2018 original release Q-Jet motor failure, again on my Hex-3. No great loss, I bought the kit dirt cheap on a Hobby Lobby sale, but I am trying to see how many flights I can get on it, and the Q-Jets are not making it easy.

This time, I had a casing burn-thru at the top end of the casing. Flight was normal at liftoff, then turned wildly erratic. The picture tells the story. I may give it a duct tape patch and press my luck with one of the remaining Q-Jets I have.<snip>
I've had 3 Q-Jet failures (in over 100 flights), none of them failed like this - I had one no-eject, one forward O-ring failure, and one forward bulkhead ejection. IIRC, the corrective measures involved torque wrenches for forward closure installation. Is casing burn-through a known issue that's been addressed?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-08-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
I've had 3 Q-Jet failures (in over 100 flights), none of them failed like this - I had one no-eject, one forward O-ring failure, and one forward bulkhead ejection. IIRC, the corrective measures involved torque wrenches for forward closure installation. Is casing burn-through a known issue that's been addressed?

These motors are Q-Jets, the single-use composites, not Aerotech RMS reloadable motors.

I flky 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm RMS also, and I have had very few issues since starting to use them in the early 90s. I did have a sidewall burn-thru on the 29/40-120 RMS back in the 90s. Aerotech replaced the hardware, but no compensation for reload or rocket (and frankly, which I was not expecting).

I understand that there are issues with the early Q-Jets, but I won't purchase any newer ones until I hear that there are reliable. That data mnay exist, I just have not checked.

I do have a package of the 24mm Q-Jet E motors, but will test them in something expendable, like Dollar Store Halloween Bowl rocket.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:17 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
These motors are Q-Jets, the single-use composites, not Aerotech RMS reloadable motors.

I flky 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm RMS also, and I have had very few issues since starting to use them in the early 90s. I did have a sidewall burn-thru on the 29/40-120 RMS back in the 90s. Aerotech replaced the hardware, but no compensation for reload or rocket (and frankly, which I was not expecting).

I understand that there are issues with the early Q-Jets, but I won't purchase any newer ones until I hear that there are reliable. That data mnay exist, I just have not checked.

I do have a package of the 24mm Q-Jet E motors, but will test them in something expendable, like Dollar Store Halloween Bowl rocket.
Yes, I was referring to Q-Jets, I thought my post was clear. Q-Jets have forward O-Rings and a forward closure that is screwed in & glued in the factory. Inconsistent factory assembly of the forward closure was one of the early issues that has been addressed, per Aerotech. Disassemble a Q-Jet (carefully) and you'll see how they're constructed.
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 03-09-2022, 01:04 AM
Master Modeler

In the blog post the blow-though Q-Jet is listed as a B6-4, which would be a White Lighting B.

I've had one Q-Jet do that as well....but I'll have to go back through my logs to see what it was. It was a flight in an Air Walker.

It looks like you guys had a great flying session. Thanks for sharing.

added: it was faster to search my email to find ones sent to Karl at Aerotech....the Q-Jet I had blow a hole in the side of the case was a C12-4 (an "FJ" motor from back when there were no "W" Q-Jets) almost exactly two years ago.

That was the second Q-Jet CATO that poor Air Walker had to survive....

Also added: I was surprised to see that Dave Bauer actually flies relatively "normal" rockets, too...
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-09-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
In the blog post the blow-though Q-Jet is listed as a B6-4, which would be a White Lighting B.

I've had one Q-Jet do that as well....but I'll have to go back through my logs to see what it was. It was a flight in an Air Walker.

It looks like you guys had a great flying session. Thanks for sharing.

added: it was faster to search my email to find ones sent to Karl at Aerotech....the Q-Jet I had blow a hole in the side of the case was a C12-4 (an "FJ" motor from back when there were no "W" Q-Jets) almost exactly two years ago.

That was the second Q-Jet CATO that poor Air Walker had to survive....

Also added: I was surprised to see that Dave Bauer actually flies relatively "normal" rockets, too...

Bernard, my mistake. It was a B4 Q-Jet. One of the first I bought when we went to NSL-2018 in Geneseo. All those early motors of mine were the ones with oversized casings, requiring the labels to be peeled off. I have had several successes, and several failures. Both failures were in the Hex-3. I thought about patching it and decided to retire it to the trash can. Glad I just bought a few of those early packs.

Regarding David Bauer, it was quite an experience to see him fly a normal rocket.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:27 AM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Thanks for the wonderful launch report. Outstanding photography, I am envious of your launchsite!
Old 03-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Was the Sky Raider ever recovered? It's not hard to clone, but it was an original classic that I'd hate to lose.