Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Vintage Spray Paint-Who Knew?

In my quest to collect all the items from the Centuri 1971 catalog, several of the areas I have had to delve into are those products carried in that catalog but manufactured by other companies. Companies such as Xacto (an entire education there), Grifhold, Badger, Pactra, Prostripe, Wilhold Glue, and Krylon. I’ve had fairly good success in obtaining most of the items from those manufacturers, but like a great many vintage items, there are always one or two items or products that are harder to find than others.

But I had one area that I had no idea that brought such fairly incredible prices as some vintage spray paints, and Krylon is among them. Now, I’ve gotten all the vintage Krylon spray paint colors carried by Centuri, in age-correct vintage cans, with the exception of Krylon flat white and fluorescent pink (cerise as Krylon called it).

I’ve seen vintage Krylon and Rustoleum spray paint cans go for $200-$400. I was following a vintage Krylon Fluorescent Cerise tonight that just closed. It was a bit newer than the age range I am hunting for (this one had a bar code, so it was too new), but it still went for $213! Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kr...ordt=true&rt=nc

So, model rockets are not the only things that go for surprising amounts of cash.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-18-2020, 07:45 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
In my quest to collect all the items from the Centuri 1971 catalog, several of the areas I have had to delve into are those products carried in that catalog but manufactured by other companies. Companies such as Xacto (an entire education there), Grifhold, Badger, Pactra, Prostripe, Wilhold Glue, and Krylon. I’ve had fairly good success in obtaining most of the items from those manufacturers, but like a great many vintage items, there are always one or two items or products that are harder to find than others.

If you have these "back of the catalog" items setup display-style it would be cool to see some pics of them.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 12-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Craftsman

I can remember the first three cans of spray paint that I bought for my very first rocket builds: True Value Black, White, and Yellow. I had not yet learned about "primer".

As Scott said, photos of your collection would be very cool to see!
Old 12-18-2020, 10:20 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
If you have these "back of the catalog" items setup display-style it would be cool to see some pics of them.

Yes, that would be cool to see...even for me! Unfortunately, I'm a pretty far ways away from any formal photos of items. This 'arm' of the Centuri collection just started to take life this past summer with the initial dive into the Xacto world. From there I realized there were several 'groupings' of products in that Centuri catalog by other manufacturers that I might have luck obtaining. I moved on to the Pacta dopes, the Badger airbrushes, and the Krylon paints to begin with.

So, most of what I have obtained of these items is still in boxes even. But one day when the 'rocket room' gets a little more of the cleanup and makeover it so desparately needs right now I'll probably do that.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 12-18-2020, 10:29 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have been searching for a reasonably priced Vintage full can of Rust-Oleum Cascade Green for years. It has a special sentimental value for me from something it was used to paint in 1975.
It pops up often on ebay in FULL cans, but they always go for over $100.
I'm not paying that for ANY 13oz can of spray paint.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-08-2023, 12:49 PM

Anyone with any Vintage Rust-Oleum Cascade Green Spray or Brush paint ?

Old 10-22-2023, 07:58 PM
Apollo Nut

Another instance of very high prices for collectible Krylon spray paints. Again, this is in the quest of getting other manufacturers items carried by Centuri, especially in their 1971 catalog. In their finishing supplies they sold a variety of Krylon spray paint colors, but in the smaller 6 ounce cans. These size cans are nearly impossible to find, and once found, go for very high prices.

Three *empty* cans of this size Krylon paint were recently up for auction on eBay: two fluorescent colors and one can of clear. Proper vintage too. I tried for all three, but won only the clear….and it went for $47! ($60 some odd dollars after shipping and tax). The fluorescent cerise went for $182 and the fluorescent yellow-orange went for $205!

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266453949612

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266453940044

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266453957447

So….once again, vintage model rockets do not corner the market on high collector prices.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 10-23-2023, 12:49 AM

At those prices, I'd expect those spray paints to apply THEMSELVES !
Sheesh.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:43 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Just try getting current Krylon spray paint.

I have been using Krylon Light Gray Sandable Primer for years after John Boren told me about it.
THis was in-place of the PlastiKote primer that I had been using. PlastiKote changed to a new nozzle design and half the time the paint would not spray.

I had been buying the Krylon primer through various industrial supply outfits but I always had to buy it by the case. No problem as I would use it sometime.

A month ago I tried to get more of the Krylon Sandable Primer. Everyone online was out. One company did contact Sherwin Williams (Parent of Krylon) and was informed that this primer was discontinued. Krylon recommended it's Colormaxx primer but it has no filler.

I have some DupliColor Primer and some other brand I picked up at an Auto Parts store.

Some testing will be required.
Old 10-24-2023, 11:57 AM
Craftsman

Dang. A year ago, I cleaned out my dad's garage. Took a bunch of cans from the '80s, maybe even '70s, to the county HAZ dropoff.