Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default First Post

Greetings to all.
I'm happy to report that I've finally registered so now I can post on the forum. I've visited as a guest now for many months and found much helpful and entertaining reading here. I am a BAR as of February of this year. The last time I launched rockets prior to that was the year of Apollo 11. Although I have always been a model builder, rocketry has added an entirely new aspect to the hobby and now it seems I can't get enough of it. My primary interest is LPR, and most of the rockets in my fleet are Estes and Semroc. I especially like the look of Alpha style rockets with ogive nosecones and swept back or trapezoidal fins. My last build is a Semroc Astron that had it's maiden flight a week ago on a B6-4. I wanted to launch it on a C6-7, but the weather had deteriorated enough to halt my launches that day. With winter setting in, the building season is upon us, so by next spring I'll have several new rockets to try out. I already have four 2 stage rockets, but for some time I have been considering building a Comanche-3. I have been hesitating on it because it would be a considerable challenge to keep track of two boosters plus the sustainer. It also flies so high that I wonder if the field I fly at in Redmond, Wa. would hold it. Interesting question. Are there any opinions out there about the Comanche-3?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=dugliss]Greetings to all.

I'm happy to report that I've finally registered so now I can post on the forum. I've visited as a guest now for many months and found much helpful and entertaining reading here. I am a BAR as of February of this year. The last time I launched rockets prior to that was the year of Apollo 11. Although I have always been a model builder, rocketry has added an entirely new aspect to the hobby and now it seems I can't get enough of it. My primary interest is LPR, and most of the rockets in my fleet are Estes and Semroc. I especially like the look of Alpha style rockets with ogive nosecones and swept back or trapezoidal fins. My last build is a Semroc Astron that had it's maiden flight a week ago on a B6-4. I wanted to launch it on a C6-7, but the weather had deteriorated enough to halt my launches that day. With winter setting in, the building season is upon us, so by next spring I'll have several new rockets to try out. I already have four 2 stage rockets, but for some time I have been considering building a Comanche-3. I have been hesitating on it because it would be a considerable challenge to keep track of two boosters plus the sustainer. It also flies so high that I wonder if the field I fly at in Redmond, Wa. would hold it. Interesting question. Are there any opinions out there about the Comanche-3?[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum dugliss. Sooner or later you'll hear from someone who has built and flown the Commanche-3, until then you can check out some reviews on www.rocketreviews.com. They have an extensive list of rockets built and flown from all the rocket companies, even those that don't exist anymore. http://www.rocketreviews.com/rocket-kit-reviews.html
Old 11-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Master Modeler

It might be possible to fly the Comanche-3 at Sixty Acres and get it all back...but it would take several sets of eyes and far less wind than today....

Welcome back to the madness. I am yet another who fell MUCH harder for rocketry the second time. It sounds like you are well on yoru way.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Apollo Nut

Welcome dugliss! Rocketry can be just as fun today as it was those years ago. Though we all have our fond memories of 'yesteryear', the number and variety of kits, parts, suppliers, etc. is even better today than ever before in my opinion.

Have fun and enjoy.....and do those things that you might could only have dreamed of way back when!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Craftsman

Fly it 2 stage from a C to an A. If you get it back then progressively try more stages and more powerful motors. No D-C-C staging unless you have a recovery team watching, most assigned to the second stage. Even with a little breeze a loaded for bear flight can have the sustainer landing a long way away, coming down from 2,500 feet on a streamer.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Fly it 2 stage from a C to an A. If you get it back then progressively try more stages and more powerful motors. No D-C-C staging unless you have a recovery team watching, most assigned to the second stage. Even with a little breeze a loaded for bear flight can have the sustainer landing a long way away, coming down from 2,500 feet on a streamer.
Good advice. All of it. In addition to the C-A combo, you could fly it 2-staged on a B6-0 to A8-5 as well. I suppose you could even use the new A8-0 booster motor, but I'm not sure what delay in the sustainer. 5 seems kinda long, but 3 seems too short. So maybe just stick with the B6-0 or C6-0 boosters

BTW, in 3-stage configuration, the C11-0 to A8-0 to A8-5 combo is a great way to get in a 3-stage flight without pushing the envelope too much.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Launching since 1970.

Add vent holes to the lower stage.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Retromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugliss
Greetings to all.
I'm happy to report that I've finally registered so now I can post on the forum.

BURN The Unbeliever!!
Down with the heretic!!!

Oh, wait....
You are on our side.....

*ahem*

Welcome aboard.

P.O. Box 250760
North Little Rock AR, 72225

L1 on Pem-Tech Space Ark
at NSL2007

pem_tech (at) Yahoo (dot) com
TRF (at) pembertontechnologies (dot) com
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I suppose you could even use the new A8-0 booster motor, but I'm not sure what delay in the sustainer. 5 seems kinda long, but 3 seems too short.
Doug

How About a Quest A6-4? When in doubt go with a shorter delay, better to get the chute out early than to prang it.

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

Welcome to YORF and welcome *back* to rocketry You've been missed!

Read, write, participate, let us know what yer up to in the world of rocketry (oh, and we love pix!) Bottom line, make yerself at home

jim

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/