Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default 1/10 Ute

Comrades:

Just for fun, I'll post a realtime build of a 1/10 scale Thiokol Ute booster. I had never heard of this rocket until I saw Charles McGonegal's post a few weeks ago. The target for this build is for use with the Semroc IQSY Tomahawk as an upper stage or you could build your own Tomahawk using the information in Charles' post. I have no idea if the Ute was used with any other upper stage.

I've attached a picture of the supplies and the drawing I made using the data in the other post. The drawing does have a 1 inch scale on it. Print out the drawing, carefully cut out one of the fins for use as a pattern and you're ready to go.

Also, HUGE shout-out to Randy Boadway at eRockets for creating the Semroc rings to make this build possible. I pestered him some, and the rings were added last week.

Parts list:

6.25" ST-8 tubing
5.625" BT-58
1.875" BT-52

HTC-8 coupler
CR-8-58 centering rings
CR-8-52H centering rings
EM-58 engine mount (13mm) or EM-78 (18mm)

1/16 basswood for fins
cardstock for shrouds and wraps

The engine mount and the staging coupler will go at either end of the ST-8 tubing and all the stuff that makes it a Ute are built around that. I'm building 13mm but there's no reason why a 18mm mount couldn't be substituted in just as easily.

I used the link at the bottom of the page to Ye Olde Rocketry Shoppe to print the shrouds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Ute1A.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  818.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Ute.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  478.3 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7

Last edited by MarkB. : 06-01-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:44 PM
Ciderwright

Awesome!

I got mine in the air today. CTI G78BS to E22SS. I wanted to keep it relatively low. '1746. Staged at 500-800, depending on which reading I'm using.

TWA was doing all the HPR flights from the M cell - so the flight is easier to hear than see.

https://youtu.be/xB6-qTmeXTk

I don't think it was flown with any other upper. I think it was a Thiokol attempt to get a little of the Nike market. There was a stretch version of the booster called a Paiute, also.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Banned

In addition to the Ute-Tomahawk, there is also the Paiute-Tomahawk version . . .

Data below.

Dave F.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thiokol_Ute-Tomahawk.pdf (1.73 MB, 101 views)
File Type: pdf UTE-PAIUTE-TOMAHAWK-INFO.pdf (851.7 KB, 99 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrade High-Viz!

That second .pdf was awesome! Real, live scale data with measurements and diagrams and stuff ! I'll go back and refine my plans for the next one, as the one I have already started is a little too far along.

Now I understand; the Ute and Paiute (which should really be 3.14x larger than a regular Ute) are based on the Genie nuclear rocket from a Delta Dart weapon bay. And it seems like they launched at least a few. I hope Peter Alway sees this so they can be in his new book.

I have some more pictures for my build that I'll post later this evening.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrade High-Viz!

That second .pdf was awesome! Real, live scale data with measurements and diagrams and stuff ! I'll go back and refine my plans for the next one, as the one I have already started is a little too far along.

Now I understand; the Ute and Paiute (which should really be 3.14x larger than a regular Ute) are based on the Genie nuclear rocket from a Delta Dart weapon bay. And it seems like they launched at least a few. I hope Peter Alway sees this so they can be in his new book.

I have some more pictures for my build that I'll post later this evening.

Mark,

I have always believed that data exists to be shared. "Back in the day" ( 45-50 years ago ), data was selfishly hoarded and almost never shared. A few people started changing that trend, Don Larson, to name one, Peter Alway, to name another !

There are still many scale modelers who refuse to share their data, especially for more unusual prototypes . . . If you're the only one with the data, it "gives you an edge" in competition, obviously.

But, I say that we need to "grow the Hobby" and to grow interest in Scale Modeling . . . We need to re-kindle the "fires" that excite and motivate rocketeers !

BTW - I'm a huge fan of the Nike-Tomahawk and many other Sounding Rockets. The last two photographs are of the original data, for Nike-Tomahawk 18.26 IA, that Don Larson gave to me, back in 2004. It's over 5" thick and includes original blueprints, photographs, and much more !

Dave F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  NASA Photo W-66-271 -CROP.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  84.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LARSON-2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.22 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LARSON-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  1.22 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NIKE-TOMAHAWK DATA001.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  570.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  NIKE-TOMAHAWK DATA002.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  566.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0001.gif
Views: 79
Size:  1.06 MB  

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 06-04-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Apollo Nut

I remember Don from the old NAR Model Rocketeer magazines back in the 70s. Does Don still survive? I have not heard his name mentioned in rocketry circles in a long time.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remember Don from the old NAR Model Rocketeer magazines back in the 70s. Does Don still survive? I have not heard his name mentioned in rocketry circles in a long time.

Earl

Earl,

Yes, Don is still with us and in his 80's . . .

https://www.whitepages.com/name/Don...nter-FL/bgzwkj7

Dave F.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

I kinda blew the real-time build thing as far as posting goes, but I have made progress.

The first picture shows the central ST-8 core glued. The coupler at the top and the 13mm mount at the other end. I miss-added something somewhere and the engine hook ended up sticking out just a little too far. I always put an expended motor in the mount when I build as it keeps me from bending stuff. Also in view are the BT-58 to ST-8 centering rings. I've drilled six 5/32" holes in the top ring and seven in the bottom ring. I'm going to put the two 1/4" vents on the coupler under a shroud and vent the gasses back down around the core and out the boattail. The vent area of six 5/32" holes exceeds the area of two 1/4" holes. I coated the inside of the shroud with epoxy. Also in the picture is the main body tube with two card stock wraps at the top to represent the slight flare top on the real thing. The top layer sticks out past the top of the body tube and I cut little slits in it to provide surface area for gluing the shroud. For the shroud and top ring, I used epoxy for assembly for heat purposes.

The second picture shows the now assembled top of the stage and the lower portion taking shape. I did not use the ST-115 to ST-8 centering rings. Instead I glued three pieces of 1/8" balsa sticks to the core and slipped the piece of ST-115 over these. In retrospect, this piece is probably unnecessary and could be deleted or shortened to save weight. Again, it has holes drilled to allow the gases to escape out the boattail.

Last picture shows the assembled stage. Note the launch lug slightly visible. I left that off the part list; yes, you need a launch lug glued on top of two pieces of cardstock to get past the wraps at the top. The thing I spent the most time on was those paper fin braces. Like, several hours. The few pictures available are not clear and they are not measured on any of the drawings. So I made two and kept trimming off paper until they looked about right. I guess that's the "art" part of scale rocketry . . . .

I'll seal the fins and the shrouds and paint it white.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  ute4.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  670.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ute3.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  673.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  ute2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  659.6 KB  

Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 AM
Ciderwright

Looking good! You're setting up for 13-13mm? A Centuri B4-mini would be great for the upper. Sadly, I only have B4-3s left. Too short for a sustainer.

I got my U-T up on a second flight: G115-F10.
https://youtu.be/7sBdWwKcRmI

Given how much it turned during that -long- F10 burn, I'm surprised it didn't zipper.
On the other hand, it blew out a panel between the Tomahawk fins. I think I made a tactical error using a Ventris slotted body tube for the Tomahawk. The slots sit under the fins and for staging, the centering ring is more than half way up the slots. It makes a weak point. I should have filled and covered the unused portion of the slots first.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Rocketeer

Default Drawings

While these drawings are late for your build, they might prove useful in the future. I'll send the others in a second posting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (1).PDF (64.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (2).pdf (78.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (3).pdf (42.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (4).pdf (64.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (5).pdf (58.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (6).pdf (46.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (7).pdf (73.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf Ute-Paiute Tomahawk (8).pdf (48.1 KB, 61 views)