Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II

THAT's the diagram I wanted and was looking for! Thanks Mark II—I appreciate it very much.

Looking at the diagram and the actual rocket, it appears that perhaps they trimmed the rounded fin tips at some point in the B's development. That and the specs don't read as others do. No matter, it's a reasonable scale drawing. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Forest Sprite

This is a fascinating design, foamy. I had never heard of it until this thread. I must have gotten lucky with Google. I found the link to that Mechanix Illustrated article about 4 pages in on the search results. The article itself is absolutely precious! I remember reading articles just like it in mid 1950s-era encyclopedias that we had at home when I was growing up. Thank you for starting the discussion of this rocket. Now I'm eager to find out as much as I can about it, and I can't wait to see your build.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Forest Sprite

I'm just thinking that it might be easiest at first to build a small prototype to take a standard 18mm B6-0 or C6-0 in the booster and a 13mm mini motor in the sustainer. By starting small you can tackle the stability issues first without worrying about either scale detailing or the thrust/weight power issue. Perhaps even build the first one as a single stage model, just to debug the stability of the full stack.

I am also thinking that the JB-3 must have had static stability because engine gimballing wasn't in wide use yet in 1945. Those flaps were for steering, I would think, and so otherwise the missile was passively stabilized by those huge fins. That's my guess, anyway. So if Hughes could achieve stability with that basic shape and fin arrangement, then it should be possible for us to do that as well in a model, right? Here I'm just thinking about the JB-3 Tiamat sustainer.

Cool project!
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I'm just thinking that it might be easiest at first to build a small prototype to take a standard 18mm B6-0 or C6-0 in the booster and a 13mm mini motor in the sustainer. By starting small you can tackle the stability issues first without worrying about either scale detailing or the thrust/weight power issue. Perhaps even build the first one as a single stage model, just to debug the stability of the full stack.

I am also thinking that the JB-3 must have had static stability because engine gimballing wasn't in wide use yet in 1945. Those flaps were for steering, I would think, and so otherwise the missile was passively stabilized by those huge fins. That's my guess, anyway. So if Hughes could achieve stability with that basic shape and fin arrangement, then it should be possible for us to do that as well in a model, right? Here I'm just thinking about the JB-3 Tiamat sustainer.

Cool project!

I've just been thinking a single stage may be the way to start off. A smaller size hadn't hadn't occurred to me—thanks for the idea.

From the little info I've turned up, it appears that the three finned version had stability problems at certain speeds/angles of attack. After they had given up on the air-to air missile bit (with that model), they continued testing for control—I think that was the idea behind sending it to Wallops. I have a de-classified report on the "C" model and a link to a book (that can be read online) about the first years at Wallops that was sent to me by the Chief Librarian at Wallops (it helps to have a NASA email address). When I get to work on Monday, I'll pass those tidbits on to you. There's a couple of pages in there on the Tiamat (that's where the good photos came from). Tomorrow, I'll also put in a request to Langley which was suggested by WFF as they told me it was a Langley project. It's hard to get real info on this rocket. There might be a survivor around somewhere—the Air Force Museum traded Wallops one they had for a "Scout" at some point. It's not on display with the other rockets just off the base. Where it is now, or if it still exists, I don't know. I'm going to try and finagle some passes to WFF for an upcoming rocket launch and see what can be found out while I'm there (if I can get the pass). If you should turn up anything—please let me know, if you would be so kind. I'd appreciate it. It's such a cool looking rocket. If Langley has anything, I'll pass it on.