Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
A BT-60-based 24mm motor model. Interesting.

The specs aren’t particularly interesting but as a product for HL it is a nifty variation - big enough to make building a bit easier than a BT-55 based kit and two sets of water slide decals included at a penny under $15 it should be a pretty good seller. The nose cone looks different than other current Estes BT-60 cones but that could just be the angle of the photo.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Master Modeler

Looking at the specs more closely, prompted by a post by neil_w on that other forum....and then measuring my currently-flying Star Orbiter, I've come to the conclusion this model is essentially a 24mm-mount-equipped Star Orbiter. Slight change in fin shapes, two choices of new livery, but otherwise it's a Star Orbiter. The length matches exactly, which strongly suggests the same nose cone and two full-length BT-60s making up the body.

That's not a bad thing - the Star Orbiter is a nice flying model.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Looking at the specs more closely, prompted by a post by neil_w on that other forum....and then measuring my currently-flying Star Orbiter, I've come to the conclusion this model is essentially a 24mm-mount-equipped Star Orbiter. Slight change in fin shapes, two choices of new livery, but otherwise it's a Star Orbiter. The length matches exactly, which strongly suggests the same nose cone and two full-length BT-60s making up the body.

That's not a bad thing - the Star Orbiter is a nice flying model.

I’ve flown my Orbiter on 24mm Estes BP E12 with the adapter and it does work well - high enough to look impressive but low enough to see the entire flight. If the nose cone is the same I’ll probably pass though since AC Supply has the Star Orbiter for the same price and the Vapor’s graphics aren’t really my style. Always easier to adapt down!
Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Master Modeler

I'd say Bernard is spot on with his assessment of this kit.

John Boren
Old 11-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Interesting! My Star Orbiter came with extra decals as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  91AD1A2A-A035-4EE7-9BAB-38A583F40DD9.jpeg
Views: 128
Size:  1.54 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Interesting! My Star Orbiter came with extra decals as well...

HAH! That name is begging for a picture of . . . maybe a terrier dog in a space suit, with an alien rat in his mouth?
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 11-07-2019, 02:07 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I visited my 'local' (20 miles away) Hobby lobby Thursday morning.

No Vapor or Olympus kits.

I checked the stocking stickers behind every kit and neither of those kits were listed.

I asked a friendly associate for help and she found one of the Assistant Mangers to assist me.

He was very helpful. His name was Tim.

Tim checked back in the store's receiving area for the kits. No luck.

He then brought out a tablet and found both the Vapor and Olympus kits were in the warehouse and could be ordered by the store for me.

So, I ordered one of each kit. They will arrive next Wednesday. Price of each kit is $14.99.

However, this store will be carrying the Olympus and Vapor as normal stock items. They are waiting to sell out of two other kits in order to have pegs for the Olympus and Vapor.

The two kits which will no longer be carried in the store (and likely all Hobby Lobby locations) are the Flip-Flyer and Nike-X.

So, if you want to get a Flip-Flyer or Nike-X at Hobby Lobby prices, I recommend you buy them now.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:30 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the update, Bob. I did the check for the new kits and looking for tagged hooks thing at two stores in recent days but didn't follow through as you did. I guess I'll have to hope that someone wants the current stock of those two kits at my nearest store so that the space frees up.

I did look at the current stock and wonder which two had to go to make room. Now we know.

I suppose if Olympus and Vapor are to be regular stock they may or may not clearance out Flip Flyers or Nike-Xs at some point.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Master Modeler

Our local HL (Ontario, Ohio) had the Vapor in stock - on the peg under their last Nike X. Looking at it through the package confirms that it is indeed a variation of the Star Orbiter - different fin shape, 24mm motor with screw on retainer, and the two decal sets. The nose cone looks to be the same as the SO.

Since I already have a Star Orbiter in the fleet that flies fine on 24mm motors with an adapter I’ll pass - but the Olympus is on my buy list. Yes the Zeus decal is a bit cheesy but I like the BT-65/1.78” diameter body tube enough to live with it 😉
Old 11-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Sometimes collector

Last time at HL I wanted a builder kit and the Nike X and Citation Patriot were both there. I have a soft spot for both from building them in my childhood in the 70s, I ended up getting the Patriot so hopefully they will still have a Nike next time I stop by.