Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
It's the same system/method/part as used in the North Coast Rocketry By Estes (NCRBE) kits in the late 1990's.
Yesterday 11:32 PM

Actually it is a completely new screw on system, versus the two tab system that North Coast models used.

John Boren
Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The ONLY 2 benefits I can see from these motors is being able to use HL 40% off coupons if they carry these, and two having further availability of obvious re-branded motors in hobby stores that only carry Estes.
I actually would rather have something actually NEW or currently not in the market, like SU BP B14's, C15's, D20's, or E25's.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Actually it is a completely new screw on system, versus the two tab system that North Coast models used.

John Boren

Patent it.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Master Modeler

Congrats to Estes for pushing forward with new kit and new motor development, all in the middle of a very difficult economy. I for one will support them by buying the kits and the motors.

I wonder how the motor sales will work. I’m not sure Walmart or similar operations are the right place for the sale of the F-G motors. It might not be a good thing if some (new to the hobby) dad were to head out to the local soccer field with his eight year old kid to launch one of these rockets using one of the more powerful engines (not that you are supposed to head out to any local fields anyway without permission), but I think this line of rockets and engines is better suited to club or private field launches. With that said though I’m really excited to see that Estes is expanding. They are definitely moving in the right direction on many fronts.

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Paper Rocketeer

I think this will be a very good thing. In my home town, we have two main hobby shops that really carry rockets (not counting a third LHS that has a couple of old kits and a few motors, nor Micheals or Hobby Lobby). One is a LHS that only carries Estes rockets and motors, the other is a Hobby Town that has Estes and Quest kits, but only Estes motors. Yes, I can special order AT motors from the Hobby Town, but not the LHS. But if the Hobby Town actually carries some of these motors in stock as a regular item, I will be more likely to burn them. Likewise, my LHS will finally be able to get at least some composite motors, since they will be available from his distributors. I'm really looking forward to it!

Greg
Old 05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
This is my first YORF post (please be patient as I get the hang of this). I work for an online hobby store and last week I attended the NRHSA hobby show in Las Vegas. It is open only to the hobby industry (no public days). Estes was the only rocketry company in attendance. Here are pics and info for their new PRO SERIES II rockets and accessories:

Thanks for providing the intelligence. Many trade shows prohibit photography. I hope you did not have to risk life and limb...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:03 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofireball
info and images for igniters and wadding

I am a bit curious about that pro wadding. 39 pieces, approx 4" by 27"

Is that 4x27 for one piece or all of them together. The latter would require an entire pack or more per flight. The former essentially means one pack = one whole roll.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I do not like Facebook

That motor retainer might make it difficult to use an adapter to fly a smaller diameter motor. We will have to see when they become available.

Bill

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Another nice thing is that Estes is "mainstream" and has conduits to WalMart, Hobby Lobby, etc. I hope that in the future that I would be able to get a SU composite motor with a HL 40% off coupon or motors from WalMart where I don't have to worry about HazMat pricing issues, etc.

Is Wally World intending to sell rockets again?

There was news several months ago that they are rethinking the recent decision to reduce the variety of products in the stores. Maybe Estes can get better terms this time.

Bill

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
So do the W, J, and T formula designations.

But E30-4W ?