Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2005, 05:29 PM
BP Mafia

Default Estes 36 D Squared

I had to take my son out to Florence today, so I swung by the Hobby Lobby in hopes of finding a few Baby Berthas. I found one, but I also picked up the new 36DD. I could hardly wait to get home and blow her up, er, I mean, open it up. Close up, it's as ugly as you'd imagined, but there's a potential for a cool rocket buried under all the cheese. The transition sections are pretty interesting, and it has two 15" sections of BT-50 as motor tubes. From the last transition to the top it looks like a Bertha variant, and I suspect that this might be so. Same nose cone. Decals are incredibly ugly, but they're waterslide decals, not stickers. They look like a bad tattoo, even by todays standards. Overall, I'd say this is a kit with a lot of promise and the potential for some kitbash magic. I might even pull my wand out and give it a try, er, I mean, see if I can come up with a good alternate design.
Another cool feature is the laser cut balsa fins. I also like the fact that the instruction sheet gives details about what parts are used. Not quite as detailed as the old days, but a definite step up from where we've been.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper