Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2024, 08:31 AM
Master Modeler

Default What the heck is going on with United?

A mysterious United Airlines 'maintenance incident' was its 6th problem flight in a week
12 Mar 2024

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...eek/ar-BB1jLV7W

Drama for every day of the week

The Sydney-San Francisco flight tops off a terrible, no good, very bad week for United.

On Thursday, a United plane going from San Francisco to Japan had to make an emergency landing in Los Angeles because a tire fell off after takeoff. There were no injuries.

On Friday, a United flight landing in Houston from Memphis veered off the runway at George Bush International Airport. There were no injuries. The plane was a Boeing 737 Max 8.

The same day, a United flight en route to Mexico City from San Francisco also had to land in Los Angeles after a hydraulics issue. There were no injuries. The plane was an Airbus A320.

On Saturday, a United plane going from Chicago to Salt Lake City had to turn around because of an engine oil indicator light. There were no injures. The plane was an Airbus A320.

On Monday, a United flight from Houston to Fort Meyers, Florida had to turn around because a mechanical issue led to flames spewing from the engines. There were no injuries. The plane was a Boeing 737.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 03-17-2024, 08:35 AM
Master Modeler

Chunk of a Boeing 737 fell off United flight, this one from San Francisco to southern Oregon
15 Mar 2024

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ot...gon/ar-BB1jYK3P

An exterior panel of a Boeing 737 carrying passengers on a United Airlines flight from San Francisco to Medford appears to have torn off mid-flight Friday, marking the latest in a string of recent high-profile mishaps for Boeing planes.

A photo of the plane shows a hole in the fuselage, exposing what appears to be mechanical components of the aircraft. United said the panel was missing from a spot where one of the wings meets the aircraft?s body, near the landing gear. United did not answer questions about what caused the panel to fall off.
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 03-17-2024, 02:52 PM
Master Modeler

The simple answer to that is DIE. Gotta get rid of all those competent old white guys and make sure they have mostly "oppressed minorities" in their place.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:47 PM
When In Doubt, Build Hell-For-Stout

Old 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Master Modeler

Now American is experiencing the same problem

https://behindtheblack.com/behind-t...rican-airlines/
Old 03-17-2024, 08:00 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Wow, just wow...

I hate rules.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:16 PM
Master Modeler

I would not be surprised to see all the airlines start having more incidents due to competence being second or third fiddle to skin color and gender.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:18 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

If you remember the Alaskan Air problem, this began when they de-regulated the air lines. They started hiring the cheapest maintenance company they could find. Half of them were not even in the US.
___
Old 03-18-2024, 08:16 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Now American is experiencing the same problem

https://behindtheblack.com/behind-t...rican-airlines/
At that link:

It might be that statistically this number of incidents are par for the course, typical examples of where the crew took proper actions to prevent more serious accidents. A more careful statistical survey across many years would be required to see if there has been a real uptick.

Here's where that statistical survey could be done (but not on my time):

https://www.faa.gov/data_research/accident_incident

This may be the same as the phenomena which occurs when there are bird and fish kills in close proximity in time. Suddenly, there is media attention to common events which aren't typically reported in national news making the number of events seem atypical when they aren't. The door plug blowout was national news worthy. Some of the other incidents recently reported not so much.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:20 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Aircraft need to follow the "Good ENUFF, ITY'LL DOO" credo.
Droppin' a few parts is no bigg deel.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !