Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2023, 11:33 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Semroc Farside - X question on kit orgination

Just curious if the Farside -X is a eRockets orginal or if Carl/Semroc released it first. I tried to find it on the wayback machine with no luck.

In paint:

Ready for 1st flight: Custom Rockets Bullet, Semroc/Centuri Renegade, Semroc Laser X, Estes Beta Launch Vehicle, MPC Flare Patriot, Estes Nimbus, Estes SR-71, Estes Nebulon Warrior, Semroc Ruskie, Estes Nike -X, Estes Mini-Shuttle Clone. Estes Renegade, Estes Big Red Max, Estes Phoenix, Fliskits Shadowlord, Custom Rockets SAM-X, thanks Texas Winds and rain.
Austin TX
Old 12-11-2023, 11:47 AM
Lost his Drifter

The Farside-X was an Estes original desinged by Bill Simon. 1964, I think...

But as for eRocket's kit - I believe that was released only after eRockets acquired the Semroc line.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 12-11-2023, 02:16 PM
Retired Missile Technician

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/c...64/64est12.html

Wolf is correct. Carl at SEMROC offered the balsa fin set and I asked if he could cut me a set in basswood. Not only did he do so, but he sent them at no charge. He and Sheryl always went above and beyond. I used the fins to clone the Farside-X which the Pod Bay Doors Team (T-201) entered at a NARAM and took Team Classic Model due to a successful 3 stage flight. I finished it as the one depicted on the back of the 1967 catalog.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/c...s67/67estb.html

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_E0234.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  59.8 KB  
Old 12-11-2023, 07:39 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
... I used the fins to clone the Farside-X which the Pod Bay Doors Team (T-201) entered at a NARAM and took Team Classic Model due to a successful 3 stage flight. ...
Chas

I believe that was NARAM 54, Chas. Beautiful model and a great flight. Well done!
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 12-11-2023, 11:43 PM
7/21/61

Yes, beautiful model, Chas!
Old 12-12-2023, 07:06 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I believe that was NARAM 54, Chas. Beautiful model and a great flight. Well done!

I saw that flight. I also saw Jonathan Duncan's C-division first place Farside-X flight and model. The model had visible body tube spirals and still won! So many mission points are earned for having a three-stage flight that the Farside-X is a must fly for Classic Model (if you want to win).
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 12-12-2023, 02:18 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks everyone, that was what I was looking for. I could find no evidence it was produced by Semroc, prior to eRockets acquiring them. I just ordered one, so will be a fun build and launch.

In paint:

Ready for 1st flight: Custom Rockets Bullet, Semroc/Centuri Renegade, Semroc Laser X, Estes Beta Launch Vehicle, MPC Flare Patriot, Estes Nimbus, Estes SR-71, Estes Nebulon Warrior, Semroc Ruskie, Estes Nike -X, Estes Mini-Shuttle Clone. Estes Renegade, Estes Big Red Max, Estes Phoenix, Fliskits Shadowlord, Custom Rockets SAM-X, thanks Texas Winds and rain.
Austin TX
Old 12-12-2023, 04:48 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I appreciate the kind words on the Pod Bay Doors' model. I actually missed the meet as my wife had a medical issue. Truely a team effort as I managed to stab a thumb prior to the final touches and teammate Pat McCarthy applied the payload striping. I figured that the judges would subtract for the bloody fingerprints.
I don't recall if it was Todd or Tom that took the photos, but I really like this one. The model hangs in the Seattle flight museum along with many other model rockets built by NAR members.

Chas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0233.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  66.5 KB  
Old 12-12-2023, 10:58 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I never had a Farside or Farside-X as a kid. I did build an Apogee-II in the mid-60s. I loved that rocket.
I have completed a Semroc Farside-X, which I hope to fly this coming Spring. I did build the booster as 24mm stage, like a Comanche-3. Will maiden it on C11-0 to B6-0 to A8-5 to improve the chance of a full recovery.

That?s a Semroc 1:70 Saturn 1B in the background. Another great Semroc kit (sadly, from the past).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_3124.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  1.80 MB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I never had a Farside or Farside-X as a kid. I did build an Apogee-II in the mid-60s. I loved that rocket.
I have completed a Semroc Farside-X, which I hope to fly this coming Spring. I did build the booster as 24mm stage, like a Comanche-3. Will maiden it on C11-0 to B6-0 to A8-5 to improve the chance of a full recovery.

That?s a Semroc 1:70 Saturn 1B in the background. Another great Semroc kit (sadly, from the past).

Hi Lee, Curious on if you paint the fins first and tape off, or after you paint the body and tape it off. I have been doing the later. I also have a Semroc 1b in process. Great kit, except the paper capsule. NOT a fan of that. I have a 2 extra incase it goes poorly.

In paint:

Austin TX