Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2021, 08:04 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile Converting station(s) to dimensions in scale

Now, some data sources do not list dimensions directly, but as “Station Numbers” (often with a “STA” prefix). So you have to work out the particular dimensions between any two given station numbers. It’s not hard, just different.

If I have a scale drawing with station numbers, how do I convert that to actual dimensions ? Can you provide some examples how to do it?
Old 02-06-2021, 09:46 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

It's just subtraction! For example, if the top of the cylindrical portion of a model is at STA 100 and the bottom of the cylindrical portion is at STA 950, then the length of that section is 850 (of whatever units the drawing is using - centimeters, inches, etc). That's all there is to it.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:42 AM
frustrated aero

Yeah, I have to set things up in a spread sheet. Run a column of STA dimensions, then to a column of the deltas (differences). Then I add a column with the deltas multiplied by the model scale factor.

It's crazy when the "0" station isn't the bottom or the tip of the nose, but you just account for in your dimension table.

Edit: here is an example of a V2...note for some dimensions I used STA 0, others, like some fin dimensions I use the top of the fin root so drawing the fin is easier. My weird scale is for a BT-101 body. This is an xlsx file, had to zip it to upload it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip V2 model dims.zip (9.0 KB, 25 views)
Get yer Barrowmans here

Last edited by rocketguy101 : 02-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:05 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

It can be frustrating when Station 0 isn't where you think it should be. In my experience, STA 0 may be tied to something like a location on the launch pad/launch rail. That way the ground segment and flight segment stations match. Even more frustrating than having to account for an oddball STA 0 when dimensioning a model is having the flight and ground segments use completely different stations when you need to work with both. You have to be aware there IS an offset (not always obvious when looking at a drawing of one or the other), and you have to know the magnitude (conversion factor, if you like) of the offset. Far easier when everything is made to align!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
It can be frustrating when Station 0 isn't where you think it should be. In my experience, STA 0 may be tied to something like a location on the launch pad/launch rail. That way the ground segment and flight segment stations match. Even more frustrating than having to account for an oddball STA 0 when dimensioning a model is having the flight and ground segments use completely different stations when you need to work with both. You have to be aware there IS an offset (not always obvious when looking at a drawing of one or the other), and you have to know the magnitude (conversion factor, if you like) of the offset. Far easier when everything is made to align!

As a land surveyor, I have had to work with stations and offsets for all sorts of roadway projects, shoreline projects an others. Even more fun would be when roadways with differing station numbers would cross at an intersection. Or when an older drawing had a differing STA 0+00 or used a different baseline. And then of course differing survey crews would come up with a different distance between stations which would have to be accounted for.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:37 PM
frustrated aero

Peter Alway discusses scaling a rocket in his book "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" it is available free for all from NAR at this link see pg 13
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-06-2021, 01:44 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
Peter Alway discusses scaling a rocket in his book "The Art of Scale Model Rocketry" it is available free for all from NAR at this link see pg 13

Great! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Black Brant & Congreve fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101

Thanks for the link; that will be a great resource to have available.

Was CAR-ACF# S 337
Was NAR# 91049
Was SAM# 0323

Life begins when the countdown reaches zero!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:22 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

When I worked on airplanes they were set a station numbers in inches. I think station 0 was set to potential additions on some models.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:00 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Check out the many Little Joe-II drawings on my website, at:

http://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Scale/DATA/LJoeData.htm

The drawings use STA numbers , with dimension lines going form most of them to show distances.

Nice thing about STA numbers is you can directly derive a length without adding up end-to-end-to-end dimensions, or having way too many dimension lines involving common start points. Just go from where you want to start, to where you want to stop.

The Space Shuttle STA numbers are wild. Different STA points for the Orbiter, ET, and SRB when stacked together. Also, in X, Y, and Z axes. Maybe I'll post and example of that later.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer