Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Did you see that yaw control?

Pretty sure GH was referencing my signature....a quote from Marvin the Martian

On that note, I have had many a Micromaxx CATO. They make a surprisingly loud POP! One CATOed so violently in blew a hole in the side of my Fliskits Stingray. More damage than I would expect from such small motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Excuse me, WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiKid
Thanks! If you decide to try and put together some wraps, let me know....I have a lot of dimensions worked out for MMX-sized wraps. I do most of my work in CorelDraw... I have scaled these up to BT-5 size to fly on mini motors as well. Vector graphics are a great way to go, you can trace the detail as large as you need to and then scale it down without quality loss.

As far as printing MMX cones... I have had mixed success. Most of the cones you see in that picture ate downscales of Doug Holverson's (sorry if that is a misspelling!) Centuri "5" series cones (from thingiverse). For whatever reason, sometimes I downscale a cone and it looks great in the slicer, but when I try to print it it starts mid-air instead of on the build plate. I still haven't figured out why that is yet. Also, with these small cones I find printing with a small layer height and using a raft helps. I mostly print in PLA.

Thanks for the offer on the wraps. I have PhotoShop that I use so I'll see what I can do with that.
I have downscale some of the nose cones from Thingiverse and when I get to the size of a T-3 or T-2 tube the prints work and sometimes don't. Thanks again for the information.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Way back when, there was a 1/8th streamer duration event at NARAM. I made a minimum diameter and used dart (like dart board darts) fins as fins on my rockets. Easy to cut to size, thin and just needed some CA.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Dang, I bet you’re a pretty tough competitor in Scrabble.

A "colleague" of mine that wants everyone to think she's the smartest person in the room (you've all had coworkers like that) used that term, among many other fancy words, to try to make herself feel superior to the rest of us. I looked it up and it has stuck with me. BTW, I've never played scrabble!
Old 03-05-2021, 11:03 AM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Is Quest ever going to make those engines again?

I thought a company in Alabama named Luna Tech INC made the MMX. Quest just probably orders up a batch here and there. I wish they would come out with no-thrust smokey MMX and 13mm like the old MRC FX . Colored smoke!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:20 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I thought a company in Alabama named Luna Tech INC made the MMX. Quest just probably orders up a batch here and there. I wish they would come out with no-thrust smokey MMX and 13mm like the old MRC FX . Colored smoke!

I can't confirm this, but I think Luna Tech is where the FX motors were made, though since the motors were made in Germany, maybe the FX's were too. I was under the impression that both types of MMX were made in Germany. I know the Type 2 (fish paper casing) were made there. I'm looking at a few packs I bought recently at a firesale, and the package says "Motors made in Germany. Igniters made in China".

Tangentially, at that same firesale I bought a few packs of Q2G2 igniters, and just missed "by THAT much!" getting three bulk packs of Chinese Quest C motors, for $5 each!! 75 motors (and their Q2G2's) for $15. Oh well. As it was, I cleaned up on Estes A8-3s made in 2012 for a buck a pack.

Thirty-three packs at 1972 prices! I can just toss them out like candy to kids at launches. If it ever quits raining on our launch days.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:26 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I always thought it was funny that Quest started the Micro Maxx rockets with the plastic bricks but never added any more rockets. Those plastic rockets were terrible flyers. If it hadn't been for all the other rocket companies coming in and making real nice flying rockets to use all those motors I wonder what they would have done with them.

I see a lot of builders of Micro Maxx use super glue more these days. That's something I will have to try to master.

I just bought a pack of Quest Micro Maxx kits that are basic tube, three fins, and a nose cone (where the nosecone is a repurposed ear plug (the soft pliable foam you stuff in your ear at concerts or in loud factories). No recovery system, like a real Nerf rocket! The kit is called the Boingo. From 2012 or so.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Is Quest ever going to make those engines again?

we've been told over and over again that Quest has a nearly inexhaustible supply of these at current use rates. To paraphrase Jay Leno, "launch all you want. We don't need to make more."
Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I just bought a pack of Quest Micro Maxx kits that are basic tube, three fins, and a nose cone (where the nosecone is a repurposed ear plug (the soft pliable foam you stuff in your ear at concerts or in loud factories). No recovery system, like a real Nerf rocket! The kit is called the Boingo. From 2012 or so.

I did a couple of group builds in a homeschool support setting with Boingos. The tiny parts are challenging, even for Jr. High aged kids.

But—we could fly them on the playfield at the middle school where the class met, rather than having to go elsewhere as when I used BMS School Rockets for another year's class. I have at least one box of them on hand still....and I did make one into a two-stager to try the -NE motors. As I recall it actually worked just fine.

I need to fly some MMX again.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE