ANNOUNCEMENT: OpenRocket version 22.02 Public Beta is underway: Download it now!
The OpenRocket team is very excited to announce that the new version of OpenRocket is at long last available for everyone to try. For now this is a public beta, which means that there are known issues still to be worked out before the final release. Nonetheless, the current version is stable and usable enough for most folks to start using it full-time.
Downloading links and detailed installation instructions are on the wiki: https://wiki.openrocket.info/Downloading_%26_Installing
Release notes: https://openrocket.info/release_notes.html
Here are the major new features:
- Drop-off boosters!
- Rail buttons!
- Attach freeform fins to nose cones and transitions!
- Coefficient of Drag override!
- Dave Cook’s fantastic rocket component library now included!
…plus endless smaller things to make day-to-day use more enjoyable.
The beta is being released in both packaged form and as a plain JAR file (for use with Java 11 only), at the link provided above. We strongly recommend the packaged installers for most folks. Updated builds will be made available periodically during the beta period. OpenRocket can check for updates either automatically at startup, or manually. The settings for this feature are found at: Edit > Preferences > General.
This update has taken a long effort from a lot of people. Please give it a try, and let us know what you think. We hope to get back on a more regular release schedule (!) going forward.
Thanks for your continued support!
Known Issues at the Time of Release
This list will be updated on a sticky thread over at The Rocketry Forum: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...-it-now.171295/.
Bugs and feature requests are officially tracked on Github (https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/issues). If you encounter a problem, please check this list first before filing a new issue. If you would prefer to just report and/or discuss it in this thread, that’s fine too. Also be sure you’re running the latest version before reporting.
See referenced issue numbers in Github for more details on each item below.
- Backward compatibility: During the beta period, any design saved from the beta app should open correctly in 15.03, provided none of the new rocket design features are used. There will be some warnings upon opening the file.
- Java compatibility: This release of OpenRocket is guaranteed to work correctly with Java 11, and that is what the packaged versions come with (please use the packaged versions!). Older or newer Java versions are not guaranteed to work correctly. (issue 1022)
- Packaged Installers:
---File association with .ORK files is not yet working properly (issue 1135)
---Desktop shortcut creation on Windows doesn’t seem to be working
---Click-selection of components in 3D views does not work properly, and causes some strange visual behavior (issues 966, 939, 1054)
---3D views black out during window resizing (issue 1080)
----3D views may not show properly on external monitors (issue 864)
-Centering Rings: Centering ring configuration does not recognize offset or clustered inner tubes (issues 870, 137)
-Exports and Printing:
---Decal export will only export the first decal found (issue 823)
---Report may not include all transitions (357)
---Fin roots displayed in unexpected ways on transitions (issue 1021)
---Fin tabs on transitions may not display correctly
-Mouse: Double-clicks may not work correctly on Macs using mouse (issue 908)
---Smoke effect may not function properly (issue 874)
---Turning flame effect on and off can have strange effects on decal display (issue 1122)
---Asymmetric thrust is not simulated correctly (issue 1062)
---Plot of side force coefficient is constant at zero (issue 1060)
---Selection buttons may be hard to read (issues 988, 1099)
Beta 2 is now available.
Go to openrocket.info to download: https://openrocket.info/downloads.h...s=22.02.beta.02
Notes for this release:
NOTE: Tube fin simulation is currently broken, and will be fixed in a future beta.
- Check Java version at startup (requires Java 11)
- Opacity slider on appearance panel
- Export sim plots as PNG images
Notable Bug Fixes
- Rocksim Import/Export
--- Corrected position offsets when importing and exporting (fixes issue 1164)
--- Corrected fin shape when importing (fixes issue 1220)
- Side boosters
--- Added stage selector for side boosters (fixes issue 1208)
--- Fixed simulation bug with side boosters (fixes issue 1210)
--- Eliminated warning when loading designs with boosters (fixes issue 1196)
--- Fixed Simulation Plot range with boosters (fixes issue 1228)
- More reliable creation of simulation when creating a new configuration (fixes issue 1163)
- No longer need to click on motor config to get flight data (fixes issue 1175)
- Motor database search more robust, especially for CTI (fixes issue 1174)
- More accurate and reliable simulation of fins on transitions (fixes issues 1173 and 1243)
- plus other miscellaneous fixes
- Set default color for all components to #BBBBBB, with Shine=30 (closes issue 1192)
- Update Mac installer style to more standard "drag app to Applications folder"
I just tried it and I am not impressed. Seems like in some ways you regressed. I'll stick with the 8+ year old versions for now.
Do you have a better place to discuss issues that I've noticed?
-Wolfram v. Kiparski
NAR 28643 - TRA 15520
Paintshop: Semroc N20 Demon
Building: Ace Mongrel, Long Tom, Semroc MX-774
In the holding pen: everything!
Beta 4 is now available for download
Beta 4 is out, and it's a good one. Get it now!
Full Release notes: https://openrocket.info/release_notes.html
- File association now works on all platforms (fixes #1135)
- Contextual menus now available via right-click throughout the program
- Edit multiple selected items at once (great for appearance editing!)
- Tube fins are fixed! Both CP and drag calculations should be good now. So good that we are no longer calling tube fin support "experimental". Feedback please! (fixes #1258)
Top three posts in this thread will be updated as soon as I can get to it, but no need to wait.
Last edited by neil_w : 06-18-2022 at 06:11 AM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|