Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

thanks for the cone pics. I still have none of each of those meself - and a mold of the resin cone - not been able to match the hue of the originals though - HObby poixy would be close but no longer made. and advise ?

2 - do you recall, re: the Stargate AeroRam, were the find through the wall ? As noted, I had one, lost ages ago , and don't recall ( think I have close enough pattern from the CRm ads, and a pic I found online of John Holboe with one ) . just need to know if ttw or not ( not like anyone can tell on a builtup version anyways

3 - Jerry.... specific question regarding your Mega-roc initial release.

Both CRm ads, and the vintage ( arange cover sheet ) USR catalog I have show the Megaroc with appears to be a Pershing cone. also pics of your I200 flight at LDRS-1 .

Was this just the prototype ? or were kits shipped with Pershing cones ? ( or Ace ? )

I have an original USR Mongrel I got , iirc, from Steve Buck at LDRS-6, needs some repairs, so thinking Mega-Roc 'clone', ( and I have a nice Alien Enterprises fiberglass Pershingcone, too, so .

Thanks for the help, will have more questions later- going through all my CRm issues and HPR now ..

Happy HOlidays.

~ AL
Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
not been able to match the hue of the originals though

re: the Stargate AeroRam, were the find through the wall ?

3 - Jerry.... specific question regarding your Mega-roc initial release.
Both CRm ads, and the vintage ( arange cover sheet ) USR catalog I have show the Megaroc with appears to be a Pershing cone. also pics of your I200 flight at LDRS-1 .
Was this just the prototype ? or were kits shipped with Pershing cones ? ( or Ace ? )

Sil-Pak in Pomona, CA has the clear amber resin you want. Since they are just a urethanes supplier there is one locally to you as well.

I don't know if the Stargate AeroRam was through the wall, sorry.

The Mega-Roc was released with the Estes Pershing nose cone and many were shipped with them repurposed from crashed rockets, purchased from Estes, purchased from dealers. It was later superceeded by the Ace PNC-39 nose cone, still the best BT-39 nose cone ever made.

The Mongrel was using the Estes V-2 nose cone. Not many were shipped with Ace nose cones. The modern version uses a PML nose cone.

Kinda handy to have all those old CRm's online, eh?

Just Merry Jerry
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The Mega-Roc was released with the Estes Pershing nose cone and many were shipped with them repurposed from crashed rockets, purchased from Estes, purchased from dealers. It was later superceeded by the Ace PNC-39 nose cone, still the best BT-39 nose cone ever made.

The Mongrel was using the Estes V-2 nose cone. Not many were shipped with Ace nose cones. The modern version uses a PML nose cone.

Thanks for the insight, Jerry.

We can hope that the new Estes will put out sport models designed around these cones so that they may remain available.

Bill
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Thanks for the insight, Jerry.

We can hope that the new Estes will put out sport models designed around these cones so that they may remain available.
Bill
I think it is unlikely they would do it the same way. The Pershing nose cone being two parts is fine but the style of the top section was somewhat incompatible with the bottom. I suspect they would make two or one blow molded part now. The material of the Pershing and V-2 was the more brittle and dense plastic. I hope they use whatever plastic Ace used and is on alot of their nose cones now.

The 3:1 ogive BT-101 nose cone is a classic and they should not only bring it back but make permutations of kits with it. Preferably with a thicker 030 or better tube wall not 013 or 020.

They should also make a 3" ID tube and cone so they fit all the other thicker tubes out there. Maybe put a flourish at the top of the tube on the kit necessitating a cone compatible with a thicker wall also.

That way when Estes some day re-releases 29mm motors, they are ready for prime time with no new tooling costs. And a multi-cavity mold so the per part cost is far cheaper for goodness sake.

Santa Claus

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 12-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

Quote:
They should also make a 3" ID tube and cone so they fit all the other thicker tubes out there. Maybe put a flourish at the top of the tube on the kit necessitating a cone compatible with a thicker wall also.

That way when Estes some day re-releases 29mm motors, they are ready for prime time with no new tooling costs. And a multi-cavity mold so the per part cost is far cheaper for goodness sake.

Santa Claus

You think Santa makes the eleves run after his rocket launches?
I'll bet he has pristine originals of all the classics...
Old 12-26-2010, 01:36 AM
SSRS Alumni (No, the other SSRS)

Default What happened to Ace?

Quote:
It was later superceeded by the Ace PNC-39 nose cone, still the best BT-39 nose cone ever made.

Is it possible we will ever see Ace nose cones ever again? Wasn't Ace started by a guy named Korey Kline? What became of him and his company?

- Rich
Old 12-26-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raohara
Is it possible we will ever see Ace nose cones ever again? Wasn't Ace started by a guy named Korey Kline? What became of him and his company?

- Rich

I don't know where the mold is, possibly with Gary or Anthony. Korey has moved on to the medical manufacturing field. Ace Rockets faded out of existence after LDRS really got started (3-4-5). Ace Rockets of San Fernando, CA bootstrapped HPR into existence on the airframe side, making the larger motor combinations possible. Once average Joes got into HPR the rockets tended to get both bigger and simpler so LOC became more prevalent.

Ron Shultz sold his automatic weapons business and went whole hog into kit manufacturing including several nose cone molds he largely made in his own basement machine shop. Lots of Crafts became LOC which became LOC Precision. When Ron was ready to sell his business he found a really good guy in Barry to take over and he has been cruising ever since.

Jerry
Old 12-26-2010, 09:47 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Merry Christmas, Santa.

( if this were the day after New Years Eve, not day after Christmas, then we'd be flying ... oh well, next week . )

Would be interesting to find out where the Ace cone molds are, as any local shop should be able to shoot the mold, hmmmm...
I'm more interested in the kits - and who owns the rights to them ? .. you ? Korey ? last I knew Steve Buck was making them, then they faded away again . few rumors along the way , but seems noone has brought em back yet. Should they be considered Public Domain / abandoned designs ?

Been a few years since I saw Kline, had not heard he had moved on, wish him the best though, one of the true pioneers, and a good friend that we sadly lost touch with over the years.

Keep the info coming, will be gathering info for posterity, ongoing.

~ AL
Old 12-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I'm more interested in the kits
U.S. Rockets is going to rerelease many of those kits in 2011. So folks will be able to relive the genesis of HPR in a fashion true to the originals in as many ways as possible. Support the effort by encouraging a wide range of folks to express interest and buy kits when available.

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry Irvine : 12-26-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
USR catalog I have show the Mega-roc with appears to be a Pershing cone. also pics of your I200 flight at LDRS-1 .
Attached are some photos of the Pershing cone top section from one of the original Mega-Rocs which has been through the ringer.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  aDSC02040.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  54.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  aDSC02041.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  139.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  aDSC02049.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  47.5 KB