Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2021, 02:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Bill Stine -- Centuri Days

Below are a couple of page scans from the 1980 Centuri catalog. Specifically, page 15 and the Thunder series of rockets that had been introduced by Centuri in the Fall of the previous year 1979 (I seem to recall ads for these newly introduced kits on the back of the NAR 'Model Rocketeer' in the late summer and/or early Fall of 1979).

I suspect Bill's photo here was probably made in the late Summer of '79, in advance of the ad placements in latter '79 and the 1980 catalog release in the early Spring of 1980 (I recall getting this catalog in the mail in the late Spring of 1980, not long before I graduated from high school).

Not sure of Bill's birth year, but he does not look to be much more than about 20 in this photo, possibly maybe 19. In one of the inserts that was in the catalog mailer his name is listed on one page as Bill Stine, Mail Order Programs.

I would assume that this job at Centuri was probably his first rocket company experience, though I am not certain of that. I know Quest did not come around until the late 80s or so, nor how that matches up with the Enertek effort? Centuri went out of business in '83, so not sure what he may have done in the intervening years.

At any rate, he looks like a 'kid' in this photo...but didn't we all in 1980?!!

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri 1980 Catalog-pg-15.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  596.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Bill Stine.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  62.5 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-09-2021, 03:29 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Believe it or not I think he was in Mortgage underwriting or a Mortgage Broker or something like that. He was with Enertek, then MRC line, then Toy Biz/Quest, so that takes you thru the late 80's to the mid to late 90's at least. Bob Sanford knows and may have posted elsewhere in here about that.
https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...ight=bill+stine

Bob Stanford was also there during Enertek

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...ghlight=enertek
see post #8

seems in the 80's or early 90's also worked with FSI:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...ghlight=enertek

see post #9..

I think he was born in 1960

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 02-09-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:38 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Below are a couple of page scans from the 1980 Centuri catalog. Specifically, page 15 and the Thunder series of rockets that had been introduced by Centuri in the Fall of the previous year 1979 (I seem to recall ads for these newly introduced kits on the back of the NAR 'Model Rocketeer' in the late summer and/or early Fall of 1979).

I suspect Bill's photo here was probably made in the late Summer of '79, in advance of the ad placements in latter '79 and the 1980 catalog release in the early Spring of 1980 (I recall getting this catalog in the mail in the late Spring of 1980, not long before I graduated from high school).

Not sure of Bill's birth year, but he does not look to be much more than about 20 in this photo, possibly maybe 19. In one of the inserts that was in the catalog mailer his name is listed on one page as Bill Stine, Mail Order Programs.

I would assume that this job at Centuri was probably his first rocket company experience, though I am not certain of that. I know Quest did not come around until the late 80s or so, nor how that matches up with the Enertek effort? Centuri went out of business in '83, so not sure what he may have done in the intervening years.

At any rate, he looks like a 'kid' in this photo...but didn't we all in 1980?!!

Earl

He was born in 1960. He said he was 18 when he started working for Centuri, and that only lasted two or three years before Centuri was packed up and sent to Penrose.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Ok, yeah, 1960 would seem about right. I recalled Bob’s posts on the Enertek, MRC, Quest stuff, I was just not really sure what he may have done between Centuri (ended 1983, though not sure Bill was there until the very end) and Enertek, which would have been germinating around ‘87 or so.

In an event, Bill has worked for/with many of the major model rocket companies from the first 60 years of the hobby. I suspect however even he did not envision four years ago that he would be working at Estes in Penrose as of 2018!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-09-2021, 08:47 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Ok, yeah, 1960 would seem about right. I recalled Bob’s posts on the Enertek, MRC, Quest stuff, I was just not really sure what he may have done between Centuri (ended 1983, though not sure Bill was there until the very end) and Enertek, which would have been germinating around ‘87 or so.

In an event, Bill has worked for/with many of the major model rocket companies from the first 60 years of the hobby. I suspect however even he did not envision four years ago that he would be working at Estes in Penrose as of 2018!

Earl

I think the time between Quest and Estes has been spent buying anf flipping houses in the Phoenix area, with Bill doing the fixing up and his wife doing the buying and selling. It sounds like he still lives in Phoenix on the weekends. I talked to his sister Connie at NARAM-60 and she said he's never been happier. And if you get to see the Estes Tour from NARCON, that last question in the Q&A ("how long did it take for you to decide to take the job at Estes" -- short answer, 24 hours, long answer -- it's the culmination of things), you need to watch his whole answer. It was a great way to end the conference. You can spend the $25 now and get access to it until March 1 or take your chances and see if they post it on youtube or something after (will the tours make it?).
Old 02-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for the additional info Roy. Actually I did not see your first reply above (I do not know how I missed it) when I made my second post...I was actually referring to shockwaverider’s post.

But your second response touches on something else I thought about recently and that is “the rest of the story” relative to the other Stine offspring, Connie and Ellie Stine. We kinda already know “what ever became of “ when it comes to Bill, but it has been a long, long time since I have heard any info about G. Harry’s daughters.

Do you (or anyone else) have a brief synopsis of what they have been up to for the last, uhhh, oh, I don’t know....45 years?? They both did rocketry when they were kids, but seemed to have vanished from the hobby as far as I know.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-10-2021, 01:48 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info Roy. Actually I did not see your first reply above (I do not know how I missed it) when I made my second post...I was actually referring to shockwaverider’s post.

But your second response touches on something else I thought about recently and that is “the rest of the story” relative to the other Stine offspring, Connie and Ellie Stine. We kinda already know “what ever became of “ when it comes to Bill, but it has been a long, long time since I have heard any info about G. Harry’s daughters.

Do you (or anyone else) have a brief synopsis of what they have been up to for the last, uhhh, oh, I don’t know....45 years?? They both did rocketry when they were kids, but seemed to have vanished from the hobby as far as I know.

Earl

Connie is married to Doug Ball, and she's taught ballet and does something with girls camps, which is apparently a legacy from her mother's side of the family.

Ellie is married and apparently teaches dressage and competes in equestrian events.

I met them both at NARAM 13 but until the rocketeer's reunion at NARAM 60 I had not talked to either of them. As I mention I talked to Connie for a bit at the reception. I *think* Ellie was there, but I didn't come across her. At least I don't think I did. I talked to Connie for a minute about something before I realized who she was!

Oddly, at NARAM 13 I didn't meet Bill, though he is in my Rocket Film on YouTube a few times, flying the Delta Tigah in Eagle B/G.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 AM
Apollo Nut

Ah, ok thanks Roy!

Doesn’t sound like either one is active in rocketry any longer, at least not in any big way. But, they certainly sound active. They are both older than Bill, correct? At least that was always my impression. The Doug Ball name rings a very slight bell, but I do not know who he is. Former or long time rocketeer perhaps?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-10-2021, 12:06 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Ah, ok thanks Roy!

Doesn’t sound like either one is active in rocketry any longer, at least not in any big way. But, they certainly sound active. They are both older than Bill, correct? At least that was always my impression. The Doug Ball name rings a very slight bell, but I do not know who he is. Former or long time rocketeer perhaps?

Earl

Yes, Bill's the youngest by a few years. I think they're a year or two older than me.

Doug Ball was from Ohio State during the time of Chas Russell and George Pantalos, and of course, Dr. Gregorek. I think he is the Ball of the Ball-Hagedorn team. I thought he had an account here or on TRF, but I can't find it. I'm sure Chas can fill in if he chooses.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:31 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Doug Ball and George Pantalos were a year behind me. I left Ohio State for the Air Force, while they got their Aero degrees. Doug worked on the F-16 at (then) General Dynamics here in Fort Worth. He later had a long career with Boeing in Reston, WA. IIRC, his last years were spent on advance aircraft. He and Connie Stine renewed their acquaintance and married. They retired to the Phoenix area. George applied fluid dynamics and received a doctorate in physiology, specializing in artificial hearts fluid flow, first at Utah and then at Louisville. I would occasionally see George as he drove experiments from UL down to Ellington Field for zero gee flights. He actually texted me last week that he was driving through North Texas headed to Spaceport America in NM for more zero gee flights. Lately he and his students had been working on a glove box for performing surgery in zero gee. I had to decline meeting due to the pandemic. I saw Doug and Connie at the NARCON in Houston a few years ago. I don't believe either of them are still involved in rocketry, although I still am. Doug and Bob Hagedorn were the Ball-Hagedorn Team back in the late '60s and early '70s.

Chas