Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Actually Damon bought Centuri not all that long after buying Estes. By 1971 at the latest.

That fact, of course, was not well known for many years.

It probably was, but I wouldn't place a bet on any particular date. I did a search and found articles with conflicting dates on both the Estes and Centuri purchases. Articles had Estes purchased in 1969, 1970, and 1971, with 69 being the most referenced year. Some articles said Centuri "merged" with Estes in 1976, not even mentioning Damon. Others said the purchase was earlier.

CenturiGuy made a post showing that even Lee didn't know for sure, but Betty probably nailed it down.
Quote:
06-15-2007, 11:52 PM I revieed the 1971-72 issues of the old Model Rocketry magazine and I can find NO mention of DAMON acquiring Centuri; whereas, when Estes was acquired by DAMON, there was some information listed about it. I've read the Centuri interviews in LAUNCH and Lee just states 1971. Can anybody be a little more precise?From Mike Maurer (whom I've tried to contact, to no avail) at: http://www.model-rockets.com/estes.htm "Important Dates in Estes History: ... September 27, 1969 merged with Damon Engineering Inc. The logo changed and says, 'A Subsidiary of Damon.'" (Terry, can you confirm the date above?) While I was talking with Lee and Betty Piester in preparation for NARCON 2006, they said that they sold Centuri to Damon about 18 months after Vern Estes sold his company to Damon. Betty said they finalized the sale sometime in 1971. Jay Goemmer's [_Sport Rocketry_ Jan./Feb. 2003] article about Lee Piester says that he sold to Damon in 1972.Tom, That's the *one* mistake I made in that article. At first Lee said 1970, but we had some difficulty nailing down if he stayed on as President for 5 years or only 3. After talking with Lee and Betty at NARCON last year, they basically confirmed that it took *about* 8 months or so to settle things after Lee was first approached by an attorney representing Damon (while Lee was at the Johnson Space Center, IIRC). Hope this helps. Cheers,
Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
MOTORVERKENS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
If you recall, Damon bought Centuri around '83. The companies were one in the same then. That's why there were a number of Estes kits in the 80's that used old Centuri parts.
Yes but none that used the Nike-Smoke NC.
Was hoping this was for a new, as of yet unannounced, kit.
Oh well, at least Estes has become exciting to watch once again.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

I still think the mystery box is a good idea! I'd buy at least a couple a year!

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It probably was, but I wouldn't place a bet on any particular date. I did a search and found articles with conflicting dates on both the Estes and Centuri purchases. Articles had Estes purchased in 1969, 1970, and 1971, with 69 being the most referenced year. Some articles said Centuri "merged" with Estes in 1976, not even mentioning Damon. Others said the purchase was earlier.

CenturiGuy made a post showing that even Lee didn't know for sure, but Betty probably nailed it down.

Pretty sure that Lee has stated he was first approached to sell Centuri to Damon at the NARAM in Houston in 1970. I think the deal was finalized by early the next year and I believe there was a small mention about it at the annual hobby show in Feb. '71 (I think there was a small burb in Model Rocketry magazine to that effect in the issue that covered the hobby show that year).

The Estes/Damon purchase did happen in September, 1969.

As to why the former was no where near as publicized as the latter I'm not sure.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Pretty sure that Lee has stated he was first approached to sell Centuri to Damon at the NARAM in Houston in 1970. I think the deal was finalized by early the next year and I believe there was a small mention about it at the annual hobby show in Feb. '71 (I think there was a small burb in Model Rocketry magazine to that effect in the issue that covered the hobby show that year).

The Estes/Damon purchase did happen in September, 1969.

As to why the former was no where near as publicized as the latter I'm not sure.

Earl

Yeah, I think Jay pretty much got the approach/finalization timeline ironed out, but it's a little funny that Lee didn't remember off the top of his head considering the sale probably netted him some considerable cash for the time.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Damon Aquisition of Centuri--MRM Reference

I did some quick checking in some of my Model Rocketry magazine back issues to check my reference in my previous post about the Centuri/Damon announcement. Here's the reference for at least one mention of the Damon aquisition of Centuri.

Model Rocketry magazine, April/May 1971 issue, page 10 (article entitled "New Products at the 1971 HIAA Trade Show", second paragraph):

"The biggest news of the show, however, was the announcement of another meger in the model rocket field. Just before the show opened, the Damon Corporation completed the final details of their aquisition of Centuri Engeineering and Vashon Industries as well as the Centuri subsidary Enerjet. Damon already owns Estes Industries. Initial information indicates that all three companies will continue to operate indeependently of each other, with each reatining its own product line."

The article does not give a specific February date for the trade show, except that it was held in 'early February'.

So, it would appear from contemporary reports of the day that Damon 'finalized' their deal for Centuri in early February, 1971 (first week maybe?) having initiated their original offer apparently at NARAM in Houston the prior August, 1970.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I did some quick checking in some of my Model Rocketry magazine back issues to check my reference in my previous post about the Centuri/Damon announcement. Here's the reference for at least one mention of the Damon aquisition of Centuri.

Model Rocketry magazine, April/May 1971 issue, page 10 (article entitled "New Products at the 1971 HIAA Trade Show", second paragraph):

Earl

What bothers me is that back then I read those magazines cover to cover, every day. And I completely missed that!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Launching since 1970.

The later references to the Estes and Centuri "merger" may be associated with whatever was done to make Estes 'owned by' Centuri. Centuri Corp owned Estes even though most average people had no idea. And, of course, Damon owned Centuri Corp.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
John Boren said in a previous message here on the forum that the boxes each contained an old Centuri Nike Smoke nose cone.

(or maybe he said that at the Manufacturers Forum at NARAM 53... I'm a little foggy about that )

It was at the manufacturers forum Saturday night.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Wow, that's sweet.
The SI is one of my all time favorites.

Knew you'd like that. I saw it the first day I was there but it was gone when I went back to get a picture. Glad Bill got one......