Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Craftsman

Lightbulb Rust-Oleum puts Krylon to shame

My Astron Avenger project has lasted practically all winter due to cold and/or wet weather. When I finally got the chance to start painting, however, the New Krylon was the only white paint I had left. It looks pretty good now that I'm done, but even though the paint didn't mess up at all (no hazing, fingerprints, crinkling, etc.) it took SEVEN COATS to make it opaque enough to cover the grey primer. SEVEN COATS! Thats just unacceptable.

With that experience in mind, I decided to pick up some Rust-Oleum Lacquer that was suggested somewhere on this forum (I don't remember what thread). I used it on a project (that will be named and documented some time in the future),and it turned out to be the answer to my painting prayers. What took the New Krylon seven coats, Rust-Oleum Lacquer did it in THREE! It took less than halve the paint to do the same job. Plus you get the super-short dry time you'd expect from a lacquer.

While Rust-Oleum Lacquer cost about a buck more than Krylon, one can will last twice as long. I don't know about you, but I'm sold to Rust-Oleum.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Master Modeler

Might have been me; I've used the Rust-Oleum spray paint (first) on my SEMROC 1/70 Apollo Little Joe - II (metallic chrome) and (second) on my vintage Estes 1/70 Saturn 1-B
(semi-gloss white). Both came out looking super.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Challenger 498 Club Launch @ Needville 032.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  49.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 002.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  46.1 KB  
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder
My Astron Avenger project has lasted practically all winter due to cold and/or wet weather. When I finally got the chance to start painting, however, the New Krylon was the only white paint I had left. It looks pretty good now that I'm done, but even though the paint didn't mess up at all (no hazing, fingerprints, crinkling, etc.) it took SEVEN COATS to make it opaque enough to cover the grey primer. SEVEN COATS! Thats just unacceptable.

With that experience in mind, I decided to pick up some Rust-Oleum Lacquer that was suggested somewhere on this forum (I don't remember what thread). I used it on a project (that will be named and documented some time in the future),and it turned out to be the answer to my painting prayers. What took the New Krylon seven coats, Rust-Oleum Lacquer did it in THREE! It took less than halve the paint to do the same job. Plus you get the super-short dry time you'd expect from a lacquer.

While Rust-Oleum Lacquer cost about a buck more than Krylon, one can will last twice as long. I don't know about you, but I'm sold to Rust-Oleum.

It may have been me, I've raved about this paint. Here is a rocket used to test the Rustoleum Lacquer -- using the only 3 colors I've seen yet. I used Tamiya masking tape, and the lines are the cleanest I've ever gotten on masking. The nose cone was painted directly over primer, and not over the white, so it came out darker. I've since experimented again, and sprayed the nose cone Testors Silver (in the small can). Most enamels should be fine over this lacquer.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder

I'll have to look for this Intruder .....

A couple of weekends ago I did try the Rust-Oleum in a silver metallic, not sure if it was a lacquer or not as I'd have to check the can more closely next time I'm in the garage. I was quite impressed with the metallic as far as finish and coverage. It has a nice metallic effect with only a couple of light coats on my BlackBird where I used it on the nose cone and the airframe between the fins. The picture doesn't really do it justice but it looks great outdoors in the sunlight.

I'll look for the lacquer types next time as I wasn't aware Rust-Oleum offered this. Thanks for the heads up.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ShadowAero BlackBird.jpg.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  194.5 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Master Modeler

I just checked the two cans I have, and the semi-gloss white is enamel, but the chrome isn't
clear (doesn't say enamel or anything like that).
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I just checked the two cans I have, and the semi-gloss white is enamel, but the chrome isn't clear (doesn't say enamel or anything like that).
What's it say to use for clean-up? That will often give some insight.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
What's it say to use for clean-up? That will often give some insight.

Doug

From both cans it says:

"Clean-up: When finished spraying, clear spray valve by turning can upside down and pushing spray button for 5 seconds. Clean up wet paint with Xylol or mineral spirits. Throw away empty can in trash pickup. Do not burn or place in home trash compactor."
Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM
Dazed and Confused

The Rustoleum lacquer is only available in white, black and red....."Chinese Red" to be exact.

Maybe if we buy the snot out of these colors, they will expand the line.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Maybe if we buy the snot out of these colors, they will expand the line.
Go to their website and suggest a color (via their email function) for the lacquer line.

Several years ago, I inquired about them offering an orange in their premium line, and they replied that was just the type of input they needed. I now have several birds in the fleet with lots of rust-free orange on them

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Clean up wet paint with Xylol or mineral spirits.
That indicates to me it's an enamel. If it was lacquer, they'd call for lacquer thinner, and shellac would need alcohol.

Doug

YORF member #11