Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

That was meant as a joke, hence the laughing smilies at the end.
I would never do that to another in the hobby now....
Random cato's give model rocketry the real early 60's vintage NASA full-scale flavor- you never knew when one was going to let go on the pad. Added a nice random aspect.

Now 30 years ago back in junior high, my buddy and I did this to each other often by mixing a cato-special motor into each others motor bins though....
On one of the C6-0's I even wrote "Eludium Pew-36 Explosive Space Moddyouulayytor"
He did not understand what that meant until he stumbled upon a Marvin The Martian cartoon re-run.

We launched it in an old beat-up Astron Delta- The booster literally smithereened but did ignite the upper stage on the pad.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Cas,
Did you happen to ask him about the soft balsa and the blunt nose cones the modeler is responsible for making sharp?
Just curious. I do like his offerings.
Allen

I used to take the nose cones and toss them in the spares box, then look at the balsa ones Carl has at Semroc and order the closest one. I've had quite a few of the TLP kits over the years, and enjoyed building them. I'd take the balsa and 9 out of 10 times replace it with thin birch ply and cut them for TTW mounting. Granted, for the money you would think they would do that. I was just glad to see another manufacturer that had neat stuff.

Just my 2c.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC
Old 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Yet another obsessed rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That was meant as a joke, hence the laughing smilies at the end.
I would never do that to another in the hobby now....
Random cato's give model rocketry the real early 60's vintage NASA full-scale flavor- you never knew when one was going to let go on the pad. Added a nice random aspect.

Now 30 years ago back in junior high, my buddy and I did this to each other often by mixing a cato-special motor into each others motor bins though....
On one of the C6-0's I even wrote "Eludium Pew-36 Explosive Space Moddyouulayytor"
He did not understand what that meant until he stumbled upon a Marvin The Martian cartoon re-run.

We launched it in an old beat-up Astron Delta- The booster literally smithereened but did ignite the upper stage on the pad.

One of the guys in our club had that happen with 2 e-9's from the same pack that cato'd. I must have bought a pack close to them, because my big daddy blew up just after clearing the rod a couple years ago. Thankfully estes made good on both the motors and the kit.

With regards to heat cycling, I must have had the perfect basement, I have motors that were 40 years old, and I launched a few of them on thier 40th birthday (fell exactly on our launch date) and they worked beautifully. It was nice to see motors without the thermonuclear shotgun ejection charges.

Ryan Leach
NAR# 87642
SAM #216
SoJARS NAR Section 593
Aerospace Education Officer
X-15 FANATIC