Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The longer PNC for the 1340 was a specific nosecone for that kit, as that kit used a 'heavy walled' tubing. Same OD as ST-13 but much thicker. That was the only kit that used that particular nosecone as far as I know.

Later, Centuri did introduce another PNC for the normal ST-13 tubing that looked just like the 1340 cone, just as long, but was for the much thinner ST-13 tubing. And I think you are right: it's first use was for the Phoenix Bird....no wait, it's first use was for the UFO Invader kit (Super Kit) which were introduced in late '75, early '76. But, the Phoenix Bird was next in latter '76.

That particular PNC (UFO Invader and Phoenix Bird) was typically sold (and I think manufactured/molded with) an ST-13 plastic coupler. The 1340 also had a plastic coupler, but, like the nosecone for the 1340 mentioned above, it was for thick walled tubing also with only a 1/10 inch exposed section between the tubes, whereas the coupler for the UFO Invader and Phoenix Bird had a larger exposed section...maybe about a half inch.

Earl

Earl

Yes, thanks for those added details! I agree about the (different) plastic coupler, and my vintage built Phoenix Bird has it. The thicker 1340 tube was I believe called LT-125 and sold separately to modellers via the old catalogs. The LTs were used in their mid-power F-engine kits, mostly wider than the 1340, until maybe 1968 or so - at which point they perhaps moved over to the Enerjet side. An example of a 1.34-ish mm LT kit from the Centuri LT era might be the 1968 Lil' Hustler. As of today we can still buy LT-125 from eRockets, though I expect they will run out before too long. The ST-13 already has, of course, in lengths sufficient to serve as a body tube. I will have to check out that ST-13 Superkit!