Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM
BP Mafia

Default Another stalled project back on the pad....

.....and a testimonial for True North paints. Back around 2011/12 I cloned an FSI Hercules. My brother in law had an original one that was a thrift store find and it was an absolute tank. I built mine with available Semroc parts and it turned out pretty nice. Tony's was done in a camo pattern with day-glo paints, and I thought it would be cool to do one in more traditional camo colors. Back then the Model Master paints were in Hobby Lobby, so I decided on a sand tan base with olive drab and Afrika Mustard. First I did the sand tan base coat, then flew it, which cost me a fin. Once the repair was made, I started painting. It took more paint than I had initially bought, and the masking was a PITA. By the time I was nearing the southern end of the rocket, I ran out of Afrika Mustard, so I hit Hobby Lobby for another can. This was over a fairly long period of time, and in that time, Testors had discontinued the Model Master line, and I still had at least one section of Afrika Mustard to paint. I ignored the problem, but it refused to go away. Last week I decided the Hercules time had come and went looking at every hobby supplier I could find for Model Master Afrika Mustard paint. Not a can to be found. What I found was brush paint by True North paints. I went to Wal Mart and bought a big, soft brush that allowed me to apply it fairly thick. Once it dried it was indistinguishable from the Model Master paints. Probably could have gone for a third coat, but I'm calling the project finished and giving True North a huge thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  349353262_260905889829839_9142654877357455987_n.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  399.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  350337999_783622750136521_5915713753037516157_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  297.6 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-28-2023, 10:31 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
Looks great Bill.

Not really, but I can live with it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-31-2023, 08:20 AM
BP Mafia

I also got my QCC Explorer finished to the point of flyability. I was doing the decals while I watched the Indy 500 this weekend and stumbled upon a peculiarity in the kit. Seems I got one of the early versions with the error decal sheet. I think I have two kits, one I bought, one I got at one of the Ohio NARAMs. That one came with a spare decal sheet, which I thought was odd. Maybe the corrected version of the decals?

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-31-2023, 03:22 PM
Master Modeler

The special NARAM decals are a different color for fin flashes (at least). My QCC was done with one of those kits and after some damage I wound up using part of the original decal set as well. So two-color fin flashes....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-01-2023, 08:42 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
The special NARAM decals are a different color for fin flashes (at least). My QCC was done with one of those kits and after some damage I wound up using part of the original decal set as well. So two-color fin flashes....

Yeah, after I posted I went down and dug my set out. Heavy sigh......

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-11-2023, 08:33 AM
BAR

My FSI Hercules is still in the bag, due to the suggestion of a camo scheme, which is beyond my skill set, and I'm not particularly creative when it comes to paint schemes. So, there it sits.

Your paint job looks great from where I'm sitting!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 06-11-2023, 01:26 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
My FSI Hercules is still in the bag, due to the suggestion of a camo scheme, which is beyond my skill set, and I'm not particularly creative when it comes to paint schemes. So, there it sits.

Your paint job looks great from where I'm sitting!

Actually, the paint job itself was pretty easy. I'm not the most patient person and I tend to wander from project to project. The one bit of advice I can give you is to get all the paint you'll need, because when you run out midway through and they've discontinued it, you tend to have problems finishing it.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-15-2023, 06:52 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Aaaaaaahhhhhh........another FSI kit. I wish more people flew them. I've given a couple of the BMS Viking I clones away as door prizes at our local launches hoping to peek more interest. Only one other flyer flies them. His was built from the originals......Penetrator and Nova.

Yours looks really good Bill. I think I'm going to try to clone the Intrepid next.