Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2021, 09:30 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I'm glad I didn't order any of these.
While many of the prices are decent to great for KITS, being built they have virtually ZERO value whatsoever.
Buying with zero pictures is not for me; something just smells wrong.
The "average" built rocket shows far less quality construction/finish than what those on this forum would perform. I find zero joy in "rebuilding/refinishing" some MESS.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
This looks a bit like the one in the 1971 catalog. Hard to tell because it’s a dark B&W image. The size is about right though. I think the Centuri logo might be an add on from the previous owner. Either way, this is a nice box. After looking at the launch controller, I notice it is missing the wire which goes from the battery to the controller.

The box you received is the proper model box. It is the Union Metal Box Corporation Model 2311. These are fairly simple tackle boxes, as tackle boxes go, but they are distinctive with that simple 'bent wire' metal handle and the two rows of raised lines embossed in the metal on either side of the latch. The single tray is white plastic with three compartments.

As mentioned, my main curiosity was the color. Below is the image from the 1972 Centuri catalog (also, the same image in the 1973 catalog). This one appears to be red or red/orange. But, if you look closely, it is the same model box you received. In addition to the box itself, one of the hardest things for me to get for this entire 'field box kit' was that Xacto #8 knife still in its package. Got that finally about three months ago after a year of looking. I've got pretty much everything else in this photo to go in the box, and, as mentioned in previous posts, the box too, just need to try to find a somewhat 'newer' looking box than the two I have.

Again, thanks for posting the images!

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri 1972 Catalog-Field Service Kit.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.13 MB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Dazed and Confused

If any of you are wondering why the three embossed areas aren't the same on the right hand side, it's because the company had a sticker that went there for non-Centuri versions. Kinda makes me wonder why Centuri didn't put one of their stickers there as well as the top.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:22 PM
Apollo Nut

And there are versions (don't know if they are older or newer but I suspect older) that do NOT have that missing area in the embossed metal. I think of the two I have, one has the Union sticker there the other does not.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 08-25-2021, 01:34 PM
Apollo Nut

Here is one of the two I have with most of the contents that came in one. This particular box condition is pretty good on the inside, but the outer area of the lid looks a bit more 'used'. Hopefully some day I can find one in this color near to new. I've found several near to new in other colors and now that I know Centuri sold them in other colors besides just the red/red orange I may pick up one in those other colors. There were two very nice blue ones on eBay just a couple weeks ago but I passed on them.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Centuri Field Box Contents.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  402.8 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 08-25-2021, 02:14 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Nice pics, Earl.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here is one of the two I have with most of the contents that came in one. This particular box condition is pretty good on the inside, but the outer area of the lid looks a bit more 'used'. Hopefully some day I can find one in this color near to new. I've found several near to new in other colors and now that I know Centuri sold them in other colors besides just the red/red orange I may pick up one in those other colors. There were two very nice blue ones on eBay just a couple weeks ago but I passed on them.

Earl

That’s a nice array of stuff! Almost looks like a museum piece.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-26-2021, 06:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl

Earl
Kewl!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 08-26-2021, 07:06 AM
Master Modeler

This is definitely the same box. I have sticker for the outside of the box included. I will count this a good find.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
That’s a nice array of stuff! Almost looks like a museum piece.

Thanks all for the comments.

While I started searching specifically for the proper vintage tackle box for this field kit a little over a year ago, the various collecting of the Centuri items (originally not necessarily to go into this field box) goes back more than 15 years ago. So, it has been a loooong trek, as many collectors know, to get to a given point.

A little over a year ago, with the majority of the items from the 1971 Centuri catalog in hand, I started a focus on the ‘third party’ items Centuri carried in their catalog, such as Aero Gloss dopes, Krylon paints, Xacto tools, Badger Airbrushes, etc. And as I looked at the contents of that field box in the 1971 Centuri catalog, it hit me that I had already — over the course of all those years of collecting — many of the Centuri items that went inside the tackle box. But, I did not certainly have the tackle box (I had never even thought about looking for it!), nor the carded Xacto knife and a couple other minor items (the sandpaper, small roll of masking tape).

After a great amount of searching and researching I was able to finally deduce that the metal tackle box was a Union Model 2311. This box has not been made in a long time and finding a good, clean one in the Centuri catalog color has been a challenge. I’ve gotten two boxes that are decent and the one in the photo above is very clean inside, but the lid has some scratches and wear that make it not quite as ‘new’ looking as I would like.

A few months ago I finally got the carded, shrink wrapped Xacto knife. I still need to get a vintage roll of the small core masking tape and some additional grades of vintage Norton sandpaper (Centuri sold Norton sandpaper) for the sandpaper selection originally offered in this kit. But, it is very close to being totally complete. I figure once I get it totally complete, a complete and totally original Centuri field box kit will pop up somewhere for a song!

But the searching and learning of course are a great deal of fun.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions