Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2023, 08:23 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default Mid-South Rocket Society Birthday Launch

The Mid-South Rocket Society, NAR Section 550, is going to have our 27th Birthday celebration at our launch scheduled for March 18, 2023.

All past and current members are invited to attend. If you've never been a member of the Section, you're also invited to attend. We'd really love to see past officers and members attend. We'll have cake. Don't have to launch anything but just show up and chat.

If you decide to launch, the theme is, what else, BIRTHDAY! Don't have to be Birthday themed if you want to launch something else but it has to be safe an not bust our waiver.

Come join us as we celebrate 27 years as a NAR section. Visit our website, www.midsouthrockets.com, for exact location (Shelby Farms, Memphis TN) and launch schedule. Launch schedule is subject to change (weather this time of year) so make sure you check it before you come to join us. We normally have a HP waiver to 5700 feet (agl). The field can support up to J impulse.

Wanna do a level 1 or 2 cert during our birthday? Use the contact us portion of our website to let us know so we can ensure we have the required equipment to support your cert attempt.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Dazed and Confused

Nice! What kind of turnout are you expecting so far?
Old 02-15-2023, 01:35 PM
Master Modeler

Regular crowd. Usually about 12 flyers and about the same number of spectators, depending upon the weather. We have signs up on Farm Road advertising the launch on launch day to attract more spectators. Gonna try to get our Facebook guru to advertise the birthday launch on the section’s Facebook page. We know at least one of the founders has passed away and hope the others see the announcement. The second NAR member hasn’t been active for a few years. May need to break out my Initiator. Seems one was flown often at the earliest launches.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:34 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Regular crowd. Usually about 12 flyers and about the same number of spectators, depending upon the weather. We have signs up on Farm Road advertising the launch on launch day to attract more spectators. Gonna try to get our Facebook guru to advertise the birthday launch on the section’s Facebook page. We know at least one of the founders has passed away and hope the others see the announcement. The second NAR member hasn’t been active for a few years. May need to break out my Initiator. Seems one was flown often at the earliest launches.

You need to fly the Saturn V on an F or G and see if you can get it to the bison pasture again.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You need to fly the Saturn V on an F or G and see if you can get it to the bison pasture again.

LOL! They have a much higher fence now....
Old 02-16-2023, 06:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Regular crowd. Usually about 12 flyers and about the same number of spectators, depending upon the weather.

I had always thought your club was bigger than that.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-18-2023, 03:20 AM
Master Modeler

We’ve got over 30 members. Just not everyone flies each launch. We have the Steady Six. Six of us that show up at every launch and Section meetings. Everyone else shows depending on weather or field conditions. March and April are usually great. Not too hot, not too cold . And the field hasn’t grown too tall. Last year, they let the field grow wild, weedy grass nearly 7 feet tall! We had the launch area cut but recovering rockets was tough. And, this week has been raining. Although it’s going to be a great day for flying, recovery is going to be a bit sloppy.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:00 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
We’ve got over 30 members. Just not everyone flies each launch. We have the Steady Six. Six of us that show up at every launch and Section meetings. Everyone else shows depending on weather or field conditions. March and April are usually great. Not too hot, not too cold . And the field hasn’t grown too tall. Last year, they let the field grow wild, weedy grass nearly 7 feet tall! We had the launch area cut but recovering rockets was tough. And, this week has been raining. Although it’s going to be a great day for flying, recovery is going to be a bit sloppy.

STEADY SIX........just the right number for a pub meet directly after the launch! BTW Don, what kind of grass grows seven feet tall???
Old 02-18-2023, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

I don’t know what that stuff is they’ve been growing! Experimental I guess. They keep rotating everything. Never harvest. Just cut and till into the ground. And never short stuff you can see over. Last year, people were using the launch area, because the property owner lets us cut that portion, to take professional photos, using the tall grass for backdrop. My daughter’s boyfriend ventured into the stuff to retrieve a rocket…..didn’t see him again for two hours! Our Section president brings his ATV out to help retrieve rockets, he’s the only one with permission from the property owner to use an ATV, and we can’t direct him to the area because we can’t see him. Told him he needed one of them flags but I’m not sure that would help. And, we NEVER let the kids venture into it, unless they’re getting annoying

I’m sure I got a picture somewhere. I’ll try to dig it up after I get the car loaded for today’s Valentines themed launch.
Old 02-18-2023, 08:33 AM
I do not like Facebook

If my club flew on a field like that, I would try to have the club collect some backpacks with a fiberglass pole and flag attached; make it a policy to wear one before venturing out into that stuff. Add walkie-talkies to that equipment. Also have a drone or two with cameras to search from above.

We once flew on a field with tall growth and a member's father or grandfather, I forget which, went missing trying to find a rocket. He was gone for well over an hour and we became quite concerned.

At another site, several of us went into high growth across the road to try to return a contest bird. We could not see each other though we can be heard if we yelled.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...