Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2023, 11:46 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Seeking Earl Cagle, Point 39 productions.

I was told Earl Cagle, Point 39 productions hangs out here.

I used to have a TON of LDRS VHS tapes. I was in the process of digitizing them before my life went sideways hard :-) now I am 2100 miles away in new mexico :-)

anyway assuming I even managed to bring them from PA to NM. I wanted to post them to youtube for archiving. IE don't want them lost.

I wanted to find out if that was ok to do? technically I don't own any sort of copyright to them so I would need some sort of permission to do so to be safe and not be an ass so to speak :-) hehe

If you read this? are you ok with that?
Old 04-17-2023, 06:55 PM
Apollo Nut

You have found me and I have found you!

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear of the ‘life’ challenges there. I hope things get better for you to the degree they can get better.

And I certainly appreciate your past patronage of the videos I used to do. They were a lot of fun to do, but a huge ton of work, too. Unfortunately, ‘life’ things on my side got bigger and bigger and the health of other family members began to preclude my ability to travel. After 13 years of producing the annual LDRS video and other specialized rocketry videos, I had to reluctantly lay down the camera(s). Thankfully, it had always been a sideline business, so my finances were not heavily impacted.

However, I do still have all the masters and all the raw footage and have been pulling thoughts and plans together on re-issuing the videos as DVD offerings (in the last couple years of Point 39 I had begun to issue some titles in DVD format in addition to VHS) OR possibly a YouTube channel of some type. Not only the masters, but maybe some extended releases of the raw footage as well. I’d typically shoot about 15-20 hours of raw footage for a given LDRS. With a finished production running just a little over two hours, it is easy to see that A LOT of footage never saw the light of day. Certainly, the ‘best’ stuff did, but there was much more that I just could not ‘fit in’.

Additionally, I have a fair amount of ‘space/rocketry’ related video footage from my years of Apollo history research, shuttle launches, etc, etc, that might (probably very much) would have an audience, too. All together, probably enough material to ‘feed’ a DVD market or YouTube channel quite handily.

So, all that considered my request(s) is/are (because I have been kindly asked several times before) not to post any videos on YouTube or other locations at this time. As with past requests, I am very appreciative of folks seeking and asking permission beforehand. It is a mark of a considerate and fair-minded person to do, which has been a hallmark of sooooo many I have had the great privilege to meet and know throughout my years in the rocketry hobby.

Thanks again,

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-17-2023, 09:11 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Not a problem and 100% understand. its your property your wishes will be respected :-)
Old 04-17-2023, 09:44 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks.

I will say that if you have some of the tapes digitized it might be good to hang on to those files for your own viewing (videotape media obviously does not last forever). That way, you will have a file(s) that will keep basically indefinitely, as long as the hard drive they are stored on remains operable.

Be well, be safe.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 04-18-2023, 08:14 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Earl, you & Chris are stand-up guys.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 04-18-2023, 09:50 PM
7/21/61

Chris,

Knowing you I am not at all surprised, but still highly impressed, that you sought out Earl to ask permission. Just a very cool thing to do.

Hope to see you at NARAM in August.

Steve
Old 05-11-2023, 10:30 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I'd certainly buy some of those LDRS's from you if you ever decided to digitize them, Earl . I re-watched LDRS 11 at Black Rock who knows how many times when I was little! I find them good for inspiration when I want to start building again, or in the winter when I need a little reminder of summer.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:35 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevbillions
I'd certainly buy some of those LDRS's from you if you ever decided to digitize them, Earl . I re-watched LDRS 11 at Black Rock who knows how many times when I was little! I find them good for inspiration when I want to start building again, or in the winter when I need a little reminder of summer.

Thanks for your kind comments, Mark. I appreciate you sharing those and I am glad you found the video(s) inspirational and motivating. LDRS-11 was a good event at Black Rock. One of the first LDRS events that had some really big projects; what would almost become an annual tradition thereafter. It is also really hard to believe that is 31 years ago! I have almost literally doubled in age since then!

Thanks again for your comments.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 05-12-2023, 08:33 PM
Junior Rocketeer

You bet! The Kloudbuster's full scale Patriot and the "Downright Ignorant" by the Florida fellas Good times, good times.