Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I just wanted to do something a little different.
I forgot you hollowed them out. If you want to do something like that again, take some kraft paper (ie, paper grocery sacks) and cut it into ~3/8" wide strips. Glue them to the inside walls of the hollowed transitions extending into to attached tube, overlapping one strip with the next. This will really beef up that section without adding lots of weight. By being in strips, they won't tighten and lift when the (yellow) glue shrinks.

I made this rocket's long transition from card stock, then lined it with kraft bits. It's hard as a rock, or "quite sturdy" as they might say across the pond

http://home.flash.net/~samily/toyrocket/

Dope and tissue might be another option, but again, I'd go with strips to avoid shrinkage problems

Doug
Lessee what Bill does with that straight line
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Looks like those over-zealous deployment charges found a weakness in your transition. It also looks like the parachute might have jammed in the tube, too. Had that happen on a Quest Gamma-Ray. Loud pop when the motor blew out...

You didn't use a liner tube? The damage doesn't really look irrepairable -- biggest challenge is removing the remains of the shoulders out of the tubes without damaging them any more.

The careful application of a Dremel with a fine grinding stone should do the trick...

I'd suggest using a piece of ST-5 the same length as the transition and shoulders as your pressure ducting when you rebuilt. If you look at the end of an 18mm motor, that's about all the inside area the casing allows anyway.

Make a core-cutting tool out of a piece of brass tubing the same size or a fraction larger than a piece of ST-5 (or BT-5), with the inside edge ground to a sharp taper. Use a drill of a matching diameter to the inside of the tubing to remove the excess from the center of the core, pushing the brass tubing along as you go. Sort of a make-shift round mortising tool. When you remove the brass tube, glue in a piece of ST-5, and you now have a stiffening backbone through that transition. The tubing will take the stress of ejection better.

Dennis is about to make your week a bit soggy, from what I'm seeing on TWC. Atlanta seems to be underwater, and it wasn't even in the direct path. Mobile came out with mostly downed power lines and maybe some broken tree limbs, but not much more.

Craig


I think you're right about finding the weak spot in the transition, but the parachute was rolled tightly enough that it would fall out. I also used minimal dog barph.

I'm sure I'll try some sort of rebuild, but I think I'll just opt for using the lower section as both power and recovery.

As for Dennis, we've only had light drizzle for the past two days. He might be around for the weekend though.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Roto-Rocket Star Scan, Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Semroc Recruiter

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Centuri, FSI Dart, Semroc Penetrator, Semroc Point, Semroc Squire
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2005, 07:49 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 7,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill, I'm glad you can take it that well. I'd be mighty bummed about the losses. I've been known sneak out with a saw, too


I know about you and your respect for nature.
Then again, if these rockets weren't all at the 40-60 foot level in 80-100 foot tall trees, I'd give your method a try. But I've got a bunch of Big Dawgs and Baby Berthas, and the Solar Sailer II is easily clonable. Guess I'll live and learn.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Semroc Egg Crate, Semroc S.P.E.V

Rediscovered: Roto-Rocket Star Scan, Semroc Laser X, Semroc SLS Laser X

In paint: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Estes Monarch, Estes Nike Apache, Semroc Recruiter

Body shop: Estes Jayhawk

Ready to fly: Centuri Zebra II, Estes Centuri, FSI Dart, Semroc Penetrator, Semroc Point, Semroc Squire
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2020