Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Saturn 1b nut

that was a great video! I am sitting here looking at my Dr. Zooch Apollo 5 kit...i think I should give this one a try.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrick
that was a great video! I am sitting here looking at my Dr. Zooch Apollo 5 kit...i think I should give this one a try.

+1... links to lots of other good ones too! Thanks for the vid...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Saturn 1b nut

hey Luke...I think its time for a Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread...do you agree? I am thinking about taking a shot with his Apollo 5 and seeing what we can do with her.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM
BAR

Quote:
hey Luke...I think its time for a Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b build thread...do you agree? I am thinking about taking a shot with his Apollo 5 and seeing what we can do with her.

Sounds like a plan... have at it, Rick! Looking forward to it!

Later!
OL JR
Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:

Please do. I have not built a Dr. Zooch Saturn yet. My absolute favorite rocket is the Saturn 1 SA5. Oddly, I did not see it on the Dr. Zooch site, but several vendors carry it.

Anyway, a build thread on the 1B would be a good way to see what a Zooch Saturn build is like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  20.2 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Saturn 1b nut

OK....sounds like a plan. Lee, I will do my best. I have built several of the Zooch Saturn 1bs. its my favorite kit of all time, both plastic and model rocket. The Zooch 1bs fly great! And built straight out of the box they make a great model. What I enjoy however, is to try to add some extra detail to the kit by using readily available and inexpensive materials. My plan is to try to make a Zooch 1b, which costs $25 compare in detail to kits that cost several times that amount.

Luke...you have always been a huge help on my builds with extra information etc....please feel free to chip in! Also...I am by no means a master builder...so any helpful build comments and tips are always appreciated over here!

I will try to get this started shortly....I have a busy weekend up here (moving my son back to college etc) and some work on the house...but I will try to get this started as soon as I can.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Since you are in New Jersey, I assume you are "New Jersey Rick"? May I call you Rick?

I too like to make some mods to certain kits. I think I saw a blog about rolling string with glue to make the nozzles on Zooch Saturns. I'd likely turn some in balsa on my lathe for at least a foundation for the string wrap detail.

While I said my favorite rocket is the SA5, I do also love the 1B, and I have a few kits. I have three Estes Saturn 1Bs (one found for $39 at Acee Hardware about 15 years ago, sitting on a top shelf above Rubbermaid products in the kitchen section!). I also have an Apogee 1B my wife bought me for Christmas back when they came out, and a Semroc 1B (for which I bought the Apogee Apollo capsule kit). I was on a rocketry hiatus for a few years, but just got everything out of storage, so I could fly rockets with my grandkids. (Wow, was I shocked at my inventory of accumulated kits!) I took the grandkids out flying for the first time about a week ago.

I've been finishing up a few partially completed rockets from a few years back, but plan to start one of the Estes 1B kits soon. It may be a long term project -- we are remodeling our home, so I'll need an escape occasionally. I think I might get the Dr. Zooch kit and do it in parallel, as well.

I look forward to seeing your build thread progress!

jeffyjeep,
Sorry for dominating your build thread. You are making this a build thread, right? I guess we just got all excited about building Saturns!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 08-21-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Please do. I have not built a Dr. Zooch Saturn yet. My absolute favorite rocket is the Saturn 1 SA5. Oddly, I did not see it on the Dr. Zooch site, but several vendors carry it.

Anyway, a build thread on the 1B would be a good way to see what a Zooch Saturn build is like.

It's a nice flying little rocket. I built one about 6 years ago and still have it.

Warning - there is not very much room for parachute AND wadding. I wrapped the chute in the wadding.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:19 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Lee....yes..it will be a build thread...please feel free to give tips etc...I am by no means a master builder and I feel you can always learn and always improve....so any tips etc will always be appreciated! I am new to this forum so I have to figure out the particulars on posting pictures etc....

and yes, please call me Rick! The only people who call me Richard are my mom and my wife...and only when I am in trouble!!

Lee...sounds like you have a great selection of Saturns! If I am not mistaken the SA-5 is Dr. Zooch's personal favorite rocket. It is available on through his vendors. My personal favorite is the white tank Saturn 1bs...the Skylab and ASTP missions. I love that rocket and still think its the coolest looking rocket NASA has ever flown.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Saturn 1b nut

Joe...I usalyy sub in an Estes 18" chute for a slower descent rate. The Zooch Soyuz is tight! I actually just purchased the Zooch ASTP set that Doctor Zooch released....it is his standard 1b and a Soyuz in scale (I think its based upon a BT20 tube)...now the Zooch Soyuz has a tight fit with the chute...but it flies pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
It's a nice flying little rocket. I built one about 6 years ago and still have it.

Warning - there is not very much room for parachute AND wadding. I wrapped the chute in the wadding.