Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
No argument there! Oh yea, I started it. I guess the only thing better would have been to lace it with foul commentary.

Maybe fowl commentary. There are only a few chosen ones that can get away with foul commentary on TRF.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Old BAR

Bravo, you're just proving the point. It's a pity you are so small-minded, you just can't see it. You are the perfect example folks here have been saying about TRF. Why don't you just go back to your yard before we have to call the 'catcher'?
It's a shame you are so bored with your life at TRF, you need to chase the car all the way past the intersection here.
Go away....please.

IOW, stay over in your yard, big guy!
Allen
Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
This post says a lot about what TRF is really all about.

I can understand why GH started this thread and went off about the banning on TRF. I’ve seen it happen many times in the past, when someone is banned from a forum they vent about it on another forum.

What I can’t understand is what would make this self appointed “super moderator”, rangerstl, come to this forum to continue the abuse. Well actually I can understand why it was done, it was done so that this self appointed “super moderator” could continue the “fun” he was having harassing GH. I bet it made for some great (tee hee hee) PM’s yesterday afternoon.

This type of God-erator behavior is what has defined TRF for a very long time. It’s not every moderator there who does this kind of thing, but those who do, do it with the approval of the owner, and that’s the way it’s always been on that forum. It takes a special brand of bully/coward to harass and ban someone on one forum, knowing that they have absolutely no recourse, and then follow them to another forum to continue the abuse.

What I still can’t understand are the people who frequent that forum, knowing that some of those who oversee it do this type of thing just for fun. I stopped visiting and participating on that forum a long time ago because I did not like this type of behavior and with the change of ownership nothing has changed.

TOTALLY agree with this...

Not all mods on TRF are bad... most are decent folks. BUT there are a FEW people over there that have about as much business being a moderator as a blind man has being a brain surgeon... A few rotten apples spoil the whole barrel...

I've had my run in with this particular "super moderator" and you HIT THE NAIL SQUARE ON THE HEAD. Some have described this type of behavior perfectly with one word-- PRIG. Fits well IMHO.

As to TRF's POV or how they want to run their forum, well, that's certainly their sandbox and they can run it as they see fit, and I HAVE seen improvement since the change of management/ownership over there, QUITE A BIT. Not perfect but improving, which is all one can ask. If someone doesn't like it, well, nobody's holding a gun to their head forcing them onto TRF... thankfully there ARE more 'free thinking' forums like YORF out there (and RP, and N3) that allow more 'grown up' discussions without hobbling things to the level of a "twelve-year old's birthday party". That's a good thing.

Don't know what GH said that got him banned, so won't comment, except to say that sometimes some folks say things better left unsaid, or said somewhere else. Realize where you're at and what the 'ground rules' are and if it's too restrictive for you, DON'T GO THERE. GH certainly likes to say whatever is on his mind, but he says it to the point of it being vitriolic. I'm all for 'calling a spade a spade' but it doesn't HAVE to be done in so hostile a manner, I guess... Course, there are plenty of others just as guilty of it, and sometimes I myself do as well. I don't find it as objectionable as SOME folks who think they're God's Gift to All Things Rocketry, two of whom I can IMMEDIATELY think of who haunt this forum and TRF... (you know who I'm talking about).

Anyway, here's something to think about... "a gentle answer turns away wrath". Thought to ponder...

OL JR
Old 02-13-2011, 12:30 AM
BAR

Quote:
While I do take issue with over-moderation or more specifically abusive moderation, I wouldn't agree that all of TRF is bad. There are good members and there are good moderators on that forum as well.

However I just have always found that there's been a small group of insiders who really operate outside the rules on TRF, and then there's always been a few moderators who ride members for sport.

For TRF to improve there needs to be a zero tolerance to God-eration. It shouldn't be all that difficult since members are already asked to behave in a certain manner. There should be no reason to expect the moderators to behave any differently, or for there to be an inside crew who is immune from the rules that everyone else must follow.

Moderators should NOT enjoy picking on people. That's the mark of a bully, and we don't need moderators who are bullies on any forum.

And then there's GH, who some might say "started all of this". Well for as long as I've know GH through the forum he's never, not once, asked me to believe what he believes. He states his opinion and then he moves on and so do I. I feel really sorry anyone who finds it just far too offensive for their eyes to have to read someone's opinion if it’s different than their own. I remember a number of members left this forum over this very point, and it just floored me that these "adults" felt that if all opinions weren't in lock step with their own they needed to either a. have the member who’s opinions differed banned or b. they would need to leave the forum themselves. That's just incredibly sad in my humble opinion...

AGREE TOTALLY 150% with this!

VERY well said!

OL JR
Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 AM
BAR

Quote:
Well since I’m the one who used the term I feel the need to respond, and I can say with absolute certainty that my comments were not “unfounded” or “just perception”. My assessment was and still is accurate. It's based on the actual posts on “this” forum of the self appointed "super moderator" rangerstl. You don't ban someone from a forum and then follow the guy around to harass and humiliate him on other forums unless you have very low self esteem and feel the need to abuse others to feel good about yourself. His actions make him a bully. Thus the term God-erator. It fits and it's accurate.

This type of behavior has been widely displayed and discussed since forums first started up on the Internet. Not every moderator is a bully, but those who are can be identified very easily. These people should not be in a position of power since the bad will that they generate far outweighs their forum moderation duties. Moderators are a direct reflection on the forum management and they help to define its culture. TRF over the years has had some very notable God-erators, and each and every one of them eventually faded away, but not before leaving a trail of bad feelings, banned and abused members, and the general feeling by many that TRF was not a fair and impartial forum to all of its members. I got sick and tired of seeing people abused for sport and then banned on TRF. I never received a warning on TRF, I was never banned either temporarily or permanently, but I left because I was tired of seeing moderation arbitrarily applied to good people who in some cases were treated badly because some friendless keyboard cowboy with low self esteem took a dislike to the person and then made it their sworn duty to harass and belittle that person until the could find a reason to ban them. The really bad moderators would then follow them to other forums to continue the abuse.

Assuming that this statement is an insinuation that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a (blank) hole without you actually having to saying it, I'm just curious, you are claiming the moral high ground how exactly? I wonder do you talk like that to people in person, face to face? Do you talk like that over on TRF where you are defending the ability of a moderator to humiliate and abuse a TRF member on “other” forums? Is constructive conversation and debate just too difficult? Honestly to me it all goes back to the first sentence in your post and that’s that there was no need for the post in the first place. Just stirring the pot I guess. What does that says about you…

My experience with the person you mentioned EXACTLY mirrors yours, Cas...

I've experienced it firsthand, Bravo, so I can certainly testify to the veracity of Cas's observations in this regard. Perhaps you haven't experienced this type of thing firsthand (and I hope you haven't and won't) but I CAN say FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that Cas makes a valid point.

Later! OL JR
Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Bona-Fide Space Hero

Wait a minute...

I thought when someone got banned from TRF we were supposed to post pics of cute science fiction actresses...

What's going on here?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironnerd
Wait a minute...

I thought when someone got banned from TRF we were supposed to post pics of cute science fiction actresses...

What's going on here?

We can't do that any more. Sy-Fy only has surgically enhanced female wrestlers.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Not so Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
T

Don't know what GH said that got him banned, so won't comment, except to say that sometimes some folks say things better left unsaid, or said somewhere else. Realize where you're at and what the 'ground rules' are and if it's too restrictive for you, DON'T GO THERE. GH certainly likes to say whatever is on his mind, but he says it to the point of it being vitriolic. I'm all for 'calling a spade a spade' but it doesn't HAVE to be done in so hostile a manner, I guess...

That's the point that everyone who complains about TRF misses. Every single person who has been moderated (myself included) should keep that in mind.

kj
Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
That's the point that everyone who complains about TRF misses. Every single person who has been moderated (myself included) should keep that in mind.

kj

Most do. The problem lies where some get moderated, and others that do the same thing get free reign.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
well for some reason, I can't see my full response.... but basically, it's like this....

Jerry,

I noticed that as well yesterday which is why I deleted the two original posts you made. I then looked at the code for this last post you made that doesn't show any text. What I found was you were using vbulletin codes incorrectly. You had the initial quote code to show the user you were quoting correct, but then you didn't use the correct close quote code. Next time what you want to do is use /quote at the end of your quote. You of course need to surround that by brackets. I just didn't add them so you could see the correct code. Also, I'd leave out the color changing code. That wasn't used correctly either which also contributed to the problem.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558