Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Great news indeed. This is what the E9 should have been to start with.

Now that it is done, I hope that Estes will continue to make E9s so that we have that choice.

Saturn Vs and 1Bs should now be built with 95mm long motor mounts.

Bill

I can easily use the E12 as the core engine for my K-36 Estes Saturn - V, along with four 18 mm outboards (C6's, perhaps the long burning Quest motors).
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I can easily use the E12 as the core engine for my K-36 Estes Saturn - V, along with four 18 mm outboards (C6's, perhaps the long burning Quest motors).
Take boost photos from underneath!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Take boost photos from underneath!

Nice!! I know that will work!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I have six E12-6s from a recent Hobbylinc order. I expect to try one or two in my Vagabond on Saturday over in the Tri-Cities. Looking forward to it.

My Pro-Series Ventris should also fly again on Estes/Aerotech F50s and/or a two-grain G CTI reload (in a 3-grain case). I already know it goes well on either.

Flew the Vagabond once on Saturday on an E12-6. Rather more urgent boost than with an E9 with a 30% or so higher top speed (as reported by an AltimeterTwo aboard). Peak altitude in the same general ballpark (1150 feet or so). Nice.

The Ventris also flew on an F50 and a CTI G88 Smoky Sam. Both were lovely flights.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Free Flight Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Flew the Vagabond once on Saturday on an E12-6. Rather more urgent boost than with an E9 with a 30% or so higher top speed (as reported by an AltimeterTwo aboard). Peak altitude in the same general ballpark (1150 feet or so). Nice.

The Ventris also flew on an F50 and a CTI G88 Smoky Sam. Both were lovely flights.

Yes they were! Lovely indeed! Especially the G88. That rocket was moving
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

Flew our Maxi Alpha 3 on a E12-6 today, great initial boost! This motor should get my Saturn V up there nicely based on how it performed today.

Posted a vid of the flight up on my youtube page.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Craftsman

Anybody used an E-12 in a SatV? How would one change the build (mine is not started yet...)to be able to use one?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Anybody used an E-12 in a SatV? How would one change the build (mine is not started yet...)to be able to use one?

The simple way for a previously built rocket would be to mark the Saturn's CG with a D12-3 inserted and recovery system installed, ready to fly. Then insert the E12 and let it hang out the back of the motor mount a little. Tape it so it won't eject itself. Now add nose weight until it balances in the same place.

Since you haven't started your build, you could just put the thrust ring deeper and sub in the longer motor hook. Stick a spacer in and prep to fly with the D12-3. Mark the CG, and then insert the E12 and add weight like I previously mentioned.

I personally won't be using them in a Saturn until they've been on the market a while and I can get a feel for their reliability. There's already been a few reports of failures.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The simple way for a previously built rocket would be to mark the Saturn's CG with a D12-3 inserted and recovery system installed, ready to fly. Then insert the E12 and let it hang out the back of the motor mount a little. Tape it so it won't eject itself. Now add nose weight until it balances in the same place.

Since you haven't started your build, you could just put the thrust ring deeper and sub in the longer motor hook. Stick a spacer in and prep to fly with the D12-3. Mark the CG, and then insert the E12 and add weight like I previously mentioned.

I personally won't be using them in a Saturn until they've been on the market a while and I can get a feel for their reliability. There's already been a few reports of failures.

Ok, the nose weight issue is what I was wondering about. If I understand you right, you are saying that after construction using a longer engine mount, one should check where the CG (balance point, right?) is when a D12-3 is at rear end of the engine hook, and then add nose weight to make get to the same CG when a E12 is on board, correct?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Ok, the nose weight issue is what I was wondering about. If I understand you right, you are saying that after construction using a longer engine mount, one should check where the CG (balance point, right?) is when a D12-3 is at rear end of the engine hook, and then add nose weight to make get to the same CG when a E12 is on board, correct?

Thanks!

Yes. It's designed to be stable with a D12-3. Prep it properly with a D12-3 and find the balance point. Then add nose weight to balance in the same spot with the E12. If you plan to fly on D12's too, you will probably want to make the extra weight removable.