Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
spirit of 72

Default 4-19-2014 DARS club launch pictures

We had a great day to fly last Saturday with a large turnout of club members and various youth groups. Maybe one more month before the real heat kicks in around here.

I wanted to share some outstanding rocket photography by Nick Viggiano:
https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1144

... and high power at Gunter tomorrow. These are the good old days !
Old 04-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
We had a great day to fly last Saturday with a large turnout of club members and various youth groups. Maybe one more month before the real heat kicks in around here.

I wanted to share some outstanding rocket photography by Nick Viggiano:
https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1144

... and high power at Gunter tomorrow. These are the good old days !
Thanks, Sam. I enjoyed seeing the pics. And they were very good - lots of crisp liftoff shots.

Pass on my compliments to the photog, Nick Viggiano. I don't think I've met him, but I liked his pics

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Yeah, great! I have a few comments...........

Great to see the little kids having fun!

Too bad about the Sat V. Was there serious damage?

Super-nice drag race shot!

What the heck is that in the last photo (#15)?

joe
Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Thanks, Sam. I enjoyed seeing the pics. And they were very good - lots of crisp liftoff shots.

Pass on my compliments to the photog, Nick Viggiano. I don't think I've met him, but I liked his pics

Doug

Will do Doug; Nick is a fairly new arrival to the group and I think this is the first set of photos he's shared with us.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Almost shovel ready

Last Saturday 4/19/14 was indeed a perfect day for a rocket launch. It was also a perfect day to dismantle my corrugated metal barn/shed that was wiped out by the December ice storm.

Tomorrow will be nice but I understand a bit windy. Wind never stopped serious DARS flyers in the past and besides we can all use some exercise. I'll be there to spread some comic relief and enjoy the festivities.

BTW Sam, the "good old days" were when Doug used to show up with his black power clusters and boyish charm. Ah yes, those were the days.....
Old 04-25-2014, 03:22 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Yeah, great! I have a few comments...........

Great to see the little kids having fun!

The big kids had fun too !

Quote:
Too bad about the Sat V. Was there serious damage?

Damage was superficial as the chute partially deployed right after that picture last picture.

Quote:
Super-nice drag race shot!!

Every now and then a group of kids will want to do a "mass ascent"; The UP part is always fun (and Nick caught a great shot there) but the recovery can be tricky. I think we did 2 of those 6-packs and out of the 12 flights 2 were lost. Even on the calmest days here the winds aloft will send those light rockets down range quickly.

Quote:
What the heck is that in the last photo (#15)?!

You mean the one showing the best side of three rocketeers. That was a ground test of the deployment charge on George Sprague's Level 3 rocket. You want to test the wiring, amount of black powder, shear pin operation, etc. before you actually light the candle. Gary Briggs and Amado Pereira had more pictures here: https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1133

Quote:
joe
Old 04-25-2014, 03:35 PM
spirit of 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Last Saturday 4/19/14 was indeed a perfect day for a rocket launch. It was also a perfect day to dismantle my corrugated metal barn/shed that was wiped out by the December ice storm.

Tomorrow will be nice but I understand a bit windy. Wind never stopped serious DARS flyers in the past and besides we can all use some exercise. I'll be there to spread some comic relief and enjoy the festivities.

BTW Sam, the "good old days" were when Doug used to show up with his black power clusters and boyish charm. Ah yes, those were the days.....

Good Ted, it's always a party when you're there. Your right, Doug had the cluster mojo !
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
The big kids had fun too !

Damage was superficial as the chute partially deployed right after that picture last picture.

Every now and then a group of kids will want to do a "mass ascent"; The UP part is always fun (and Nick caught a great shot there) but the recovery can be tricky. I think we did 2 of those 6-packs and out of the 12 flights 2 were lost. Even on the calmest days here the winds aloft will send those light rockets down range quickly.

You mean the one showing the best side of three rocketeers. That was a ground test of the deployment charge on George Sprague's Level 3 rocket. You want to test the wiring, amount of black powder, shear pin operation, etc. before you actually light the candle. Gary Briggs and Amado Pereira had more pictures here: https://darsrocketrypics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1133

Thanks for the additional photos. Two more comments.........

They don't call it Nike Smoke for nothing!

And, are you kidding me?! Chas Russell's 1967 Design of the Month rocket (the Challenger)...........I hope you have the plan so that you can check out the plan photo of the rocket lifting off, because it's virtually identical to the one from your recent launch. Orientation, altitude, angle, paint job...........everything practically identical! Really, quite amazing!

Joe
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Mojo,
Good eye on the Estes DOM Challenger. I started in the hobby in 1967 and always liked the design. I finally built one in the late '70s or early '80s. Pranged it when the upper stage motor did not light. Nose cone pushed into the Bt-50 and transition into the Bt-60. I hauled the remains around for decades and finally dug it out and rebuilt it this year. The booster is original as are the nose cone and transition. Fill and finish works wonders! I replaced the upper 3 inches or so of the Bt-60. The upper stage fins are original - dings and dents filled or ignored. New paint and a nylon parachute. Nice flight on a B6-0/B6-6 configuration.
I have attached a cellphone photo that I took of the launch. Sure wish they still made B4-6 motors as the larger nozzle would help with upper stage ignition. BTW, I did use a hole punch to add two vent holes in the coupler and celephane tape instead of "magic" tape to join the motors. Wish we knew that decades ago...

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DOM Challenger 0414.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  876.5 KB  
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Mojo,
Good eye on the Estes DOM Challenger. I started in the hobby in 1967 and always liked the design. I finally built one in the late '70s or early '80s. Pranged it when the upper stage motor did not light. Nose cone pushed into the Bt-50 and transition into the Bt-60. I hauled the remains around for decades and finally dug it out and rebuilt it this year. The booster is original as are the nose cone and transition. Fill and finish works wonders! I replaced the upper 3 inches or so of the Bt-60. The upper stage fins are original - dings and dents filled or ignored. New paint and a nylon parachute. Nice flight on a B6-0/B6-6 configuration.
I have attached a cellphone photo that I took of the launch. Sure wish they still made B4-6 motors as the larger nozzle would help with upper stage ignition. BTW, I did use a hole punch to add two vent holes in the coupler and celephane tape instead of "magic" tape to join the motors. Wish we knew that decades ago...

Chas

Well, Chas, I don't know whether you still have the old DOM plan, but it's uncanny how the other launch photo (not yours) matches the launch photo on the plan. If you no longer have the plan, I can post a photo here.

Joe