Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default interchangeable recovery system?

I'm sure there are people here with useful experience to share in this area-

I've got about 5 rockets that use G motors. I built most of these nearly 20 years ago to use wide elastic that I bought at a sewing shop but I've not had very good luck with this stuff. I would like to convert everything to kevlar. I've seen good results using fairly long kevlar cords, probably 10' or more for this size rocket, but 100' of this size kevlar is fairly expensive so I'm thinking about having only maybe 2 sets of cord and switching from rocket to rocket.

My thought is to use short kevlar in the airframe to extend to the front of the tube with a loop tied in it. Then have a 15' length of kevlar with loops in both ends. Now the question is how to connect at each end. These are not large rockets, mostly about 2.6" diameter, so maybe a quick link is overkill but are snap swivels big enough? I thought about putting a barrel swivel in the cord in the airframe then the shock cord can connect to that.

I may do a similar thing with my B-size rockets but those can use standard snap swivels.