Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Car launched missiles

Last night I got the idea of putting together a collection of models of 'car launched' missiles from movies and TV.

I was watching a James Bond movie (The World is Not Enough) and I noticed that the missiles he launched form his BMW Z8 were miniature Bullpup 12-D's (I wonder if the special effects dept. used actual Estes kits). I was intending to get and build one anyway, but now I really want one.

I've also got to re-build my April Dancer (from the Man from U.N.C.L.E). I had it built and one coat of primer. Then, my dog destroyed it with the fortunate exception of the nose cone. I really like the look of that rocket.

Anyone know of other missiles, from movies or TV, that were launched from vehicles? They could already be existing kits (like the two above) or not.

I think this would be an interesting collection to build.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Master Modeler

This is an interesting Concept Scale sub-set. I can think of a couple:

In the movie "Delta Force," Chuck Norris rode a motorcycle that had twin missiles (model rockets) mounted on its handlebars. Also:

Large (FSI-made, I believe) rockets were--if memory serves--fired from dune buggies in either "Road Warrior" or one (or more?) of the "Mad Max" movies. (I didn't actually see them in those films, as I've only seen one or two of the later "Mad Max" flicks. But I *did* see a TV special on movie stunts--which was hosted by the actor who plays/[played?] Luke Spencer on the ABC "General Hospital" soap opera--in which he drove one of the dune buggies and fired one of the rockets from it.) In the animated "Speed Racer" series, there were a few rocket-firing cars and motorcycles; I particularly remember tiny ones that Apache Indian terrorists (anime has interesting "worlds") fired from their motorcycles. Plus:

Although these weren't vehicle-launched (but one of them might have been--I don't remember), one episode of the live-action "Wonder Woman" TV series featured a thought-controlled missile, which was a pink (!) Estes Pershing 1A model. The villain at one point rode a motorcycle while wearing the missile's thought-control helmet, said "Follow me!", and the missile--which had landed in a haystack or a compost pile--backed out of it, then took off to follow him down a road. It -might- have originally been launched from the motorcycle. As well (the following model rockets weren't vehicle-launched, but were fun to watch on TV):

A silver-painted Centuri Argus "played" an experimental rocket powered by a new *liquid* mono-propellant developed by a bright high school kid, in an episode of "The Six Million Dollar Man." The propellant accidentally turned out to be a new "super-thermite," whose heat flash (when the rocket exploded in flight) welded manhole covers shut in that neighborhood. Another episode of that show featured several FSI Argo D-4 Javelin scale models, which were fake ICBMs (they were fired from just a few miles away from their targets, instead--how NORAD couldn't determine this was never explained :-) ) with which a terrorist group threatened the U.S. (they fired one of the missiles into the Los Angeles reservoir, to show that they could wipe out that city if they chose--if their demands weren't met). Col. Steve Austin ended up hurling one of them like a Javelin, right at the "baddies."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Junior Rocketeer

blackshire, we must have grown up in the same era.

I actually remember that Six Million Dollar Man episode! I had already gotten into rocketry and I was most impressed by the cool automated launch pad the kid used (if I'm remembering it correctly).

I'll have to look up the Delta Force and Mad Max rockets and see if those are something I can duplicate. I think I remember another movie that had missiles on dune buggies and motorcycles called "MegaForce" or something like that. Actually, now that I think about it, the main character was sort of a Chuck Norris 'type'.

I also remember watching Speed Racer (reruns) in the mornings before catching the bus for school. You're right, there were lots of missile launching cars. I wonder if I could find any views good enough to clearly see what the rockets looked like.

As for Wonder Woman... I don't remember that episode with the rocket. Then again, though I did watch that show religiously I think there were other, um, aspects that were more memorable to me. My wife is a huge Wonder Woman fan, so a rocket from that show might be interesting. A pink Pershing, though. I'm not too sure I could bring myself to do it...

Ha! I just found that episode, it's called "The Murderous Missile" and it's on Amazon. I may have to download and watch it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Take a look at these old threads for some of the TV rockets mentioned above, including a screen cap of the pink Pershing 1A Maxi-Brute. I've seen several "missiles" launched from cars and bikes in the 70's and 80's, but I don't specifically remember them other than them being powered by Estes/Centuri or FSI black powder motors with no special effects to cover the easy to recognize small flame and smoke trails. I'd probably remember the episodes if I saw a screen cap or video clip, assuming I saw them when they aired. I can't remember my own name sometimes, but I remember most of what I saw on tv when I was a kid for some reason.

Wonder Woman
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...highlight=woman

Emergency! Saturn V

Emergency! Pershing 1A Maxi-Brute and D12 cluster along with an Airwolf episode
Old 03-22-2015, 10:33 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

According to the "Bond Lifestyle" website under "Gadgets" the rockets used on the BMW are in fact actual Estes Bull Pup 12D kits.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Large (FSI-made, I believe) rockets were--if memory serves--fired from dune buggies in either "Road Warrior" or one (or more?) of the "Mad Max" movies. (I didn't actually see them in those films, as I've only seen one or two of the later "Mad Max" flicks. But I *did* see a TV special on movie stunts--which was hosted by the actor who plays/[played?] Luke Spencer on the ABC "General Hospital" soap opera--in which he drove one of the dune buggies and fired one of the rockets from it.) In the animated "Speed Racer" series, there were a few rocket-firing cars and motorcycles; I particularly remember tiny ones that Apache Indian terrorists (anime has interesting "worlds") fired from their motorcycles. Plus:

The movie was "Megaforce" (1982).
Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Take a look at these old threads for some of the TV rockets mentioned above, including a screen cap of the pink Pershing 1A Maxi-Brute. I've seen several "missiles" launched from cars and bikes in the 70's and 80's, but I don't specifically remember them other than them being powered by Estes/Centuri or FSI black powder motors with no special effects to cover the easy to recognize small flame and smoke trails. I'd probably remember the episodes if I saw a screen cap or video clip, assuming I saw them when they aired. I can't remember my own name sometimes, but I remember most of what I saw on tv when I was a kid for some reason.

Wonder Woman

Emergency! Saturn V

Emergency! Pershing 1A Maxi-Brute and D12 cluster along with an Airwolf episode

tbzep: Thanks! I found that thread right after I posted, so I'm not really surprised I'm not the first with a similar idea. Yeah, maybe not a 'pink' Pershing, but that red/black/white one from Emergency! - that one has potential.

Last edited by 69murray : 03-23-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Emergency! not Airwolf
Old 03-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
According to the "Bond Lifestyle" website under "Gadgets" the rockets used on the BMW are in fact actual Estes Bull Pup 12D kits.

Ha! I thought I recognized those!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
BAR

Here's some from the Bond film "Die Another Day"... The baddie's rocket-armed green sportscar with the Gatling gun on the back, he and Bond fought it out on the ice in Greenland or something.

Not sure what rocket it is... probably just an amalgamation of parts... flip out fins, etc...

Later! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  6049172156_61af9917da.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  167.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  6049172578_c9d1a3b97b.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  147.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  article-2085196-0F6B12ED00000578-571_634x310.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  74.2 KB  
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM
BAR

Here's the motorcycle missiles from the Chuck Norris movie "The Delta Force"... the motorcycle has a pair of "Honest John" missiles on the front, and a rocket ejecting tube (mortar I guess). Pretty cool...

Later! OL JR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  ds_the-delta-force-e1345973039831.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  33.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  The Delta Force Chuck Norris bike.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  173.9 KB  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp RAdeltaForce4.bmp (218.5 KB, 37 views)