Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 PM
The_Ripper

Default You Too Are MAKING HISTORY

My father was filing and going through some old papers in his files recently and ran across a couple of interesting bits of space memorabilia that he brought to me last time we met to chat. I was floored that he passed these on to me and I had no idea he had such items in his possession.

1969 was the year my father introduced me to model rocketry with a Centuri Astro-1 starter set purchased for me for my eighth birthday. Dad enjoyed helping me build and fly my model rockets and we would always watch the Saturn V missions on TV. He often reminded me of his job with The Boeing Company working on the S-IC first stage booster at the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. He was proud of his involvement in the program.

I scanned the front and back of a medallion that he gave me from the Apollo 8 mission. That mission carried metal in this medallion on mans first flight to the moon. I hope the attached image scanned clear enough to read the text.

I also scanned the envelope and a letter from the launch vehicle branch general manager at The Boeing Company thanking him that his work contributed significantly to the successful launching of the first men to the Moon. There is a July 20th 1969 cancellation added to the envelope and also stamped first day of issue turning it into a collectors item. It also lists future planned missions and the stamp was printed from a die actually carried to the Moon on the first flight. Pretty exciting stuff!

I'm thinking of having these framed for my office to display as well as preserve them. I hope you guys find this interesting and enjoy the images!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Apollo 8 Coin Front.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  96.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Apollo 8 Coin Back.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  105.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  The Boeing Company Envelope.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  469.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  The Boeing Company Contribution Letter Mans First Lunar Landing.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  431.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates