Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2022, 09:03 PM
Master Modeler

Default 1/200 Space Shuttle (PMC)

With Estes making the 1/200 scale Saturn V and the NASA SLS I was wondering if a 1/200 space Shuttle plastic model could be converted into a flying model to go along with Estes models?

I don't want the shuttle to glide. All I would want is the model as a whole to go up and come down by parachute.

Would the motor tube have to be offset to accommodate for the overhang of the Shuttle?

Who knows, maybe Estes might produce one in the future.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:56 AM
I do not like Facebook

I believe that "full-stack" Shuttle plastic models have been flight converted. I seem to recall at least one article about that, so try searching for it.

A good start would be the Estes kit to see where they put the offset motor mount within the external tank.

Before a new Estes Shuttle model in 1/200 scale, a Falcon 9 is more likely; I think it is a BT-20 at that scale.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-14-2022, 08:50 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I believe that "full-stack" Shuttle plastic models have been flight converted. I seem to recall at least one article about that, so try searching for it.

A good start would be the Estes kit to see where they put the offset motor mount within the external tank.

Before a new Estes Shuttle model in 1/200 scale, a Falcon 9 is more likely; I think it is a BT-20 at that scale.

Bill

Bill, I looked for an hour after I posted this for some help on this subject but not much luck.
I like the Estes 1/200 flying models and was just wanting to add the shuttle to the collection.
Right now there are a few different versions of the 1/200 shuttles out there with the version of the James Bond 007 version available.
I'm working on taking one of their Saturn V and turning it into a Skylab version.