Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2019, 07:06 PM
Apollo Nut

Thanks for posting the tube lengths.

Actually, if Boyce is only going to offer kits this way (short kits), THEY should really be posting that data to their website so modlers will know not only WHAT tubes they need to purchase, but also how MUCH of each (i.e., length) of each tube. That way one could have tubes already cut and ready to go when their parts set arrives.

If either of you get the chance, can you post a couple of closer shots of the relative smoothness/roughness of the parts? I'm kinda picky, but I have yet to see a 3D printed part surface that I'd truly be happy with. I don't mind some sanding and filling, and I've done my share of it over the decades, but I'd like to see smoother surfaces than I've seen so far. I'm hoping that these will surpass my expectations, but I'm not convinced of that yet and they (Boyce) do not seem to publish too many close photos of their product. Lots of nice, clean rendered images though, but those really don't count when it comes to truly judging final product quality.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Master Modeler

Earl, I don't know if you can tell anything from these photos but maybe it will give you an idea how rough they are. They are better than the first models I have received from them.
There will be filling and sanding but the paper tubes will help a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Sat a1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  100.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Sat a2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  103.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Sat a3.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  94.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Sat a4.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  104.7 KB  
Old 04-24-2019, 09:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

What's the best plan of attack? Use all manner of sandpaper and sanding utensils to get into the nooks and crannies until I stab myself multiple times in the eyes with a rusty fork?

BTW, I hope Estes has plenty of 1/100 capsules because that escape tower is fugly for display.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Earl, I don't know if you can tell anything from these photos but maybe it will give you an idea how rough they are. They are better than the first models I have received from them.
There will be filling and sanding but the paper tubes will help a lot.

Hey! Thanks much for posting these...that does help.

Well...not bad, but I can see they will definitely need some finishing work. And I guess working with a piece or two would be the only way to see just how much work would be needed.

The printers are getting better, but I’d like to think further improvements in the technology will get it truly into the ballpark of “wow!” for a finished product.

Will be interested to see how each of you progress on the finishing aspects of the builds, if either of you are inclined to do that, but don’t feel obligated simply based on my request.

It would be nice to have these two kits, as they do fill a historical void in the Apollo launch vehicle chronology. I’m currently working on finishing a Centuri Saturn 1b to go with my 35 + year old Centuri Saturn V, among about six other builds in various states of finish (isn’t that the way we all build??).

Thanks again for the photos...much appreciated!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I’m currently working on finishing a Centuri Saturn 1b to go with my 35 + year old Centuri Saturn V, among about six other builds in various states of finish (isn’t that the way we all build??).
Earl

You hit the nail on the head. I've got my nearly 40 year old Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V retired on the shelf. It's my Estes #2001 Saturn V and #2048 Saturn 1B that I really need to finish. After that I have my Semroc Saturn 1B and a special Saturn project that I have had on the back burner for about 10 years. As I look around the room, I've got three or four more that are in the sanding finishing stage. I was having less and less time to work on things and was getting more and more tired of sanding, to the point that building wasn't fun anymore. I'm hoping to rebound this summer.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My 1/100 Estes Saturn 1B has been awaiting paint for about 2 years ... I thought it would get completed for the festivities in July. Along with my Estes 1/100 Saturn V, my ESTES 1/45 Little Joe II, my 1/100 Estes Little Joe II.

And, I even thought I might get my Apogee or Semroc 1/70 Saturn 1B done.

It’s great to dream ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 04-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You hit the nail on the head. I've got my nearly 40 year old Centuri Saturn 1B and Saturn V retired on the shelf. It's my Estes #2001 Saturn V and #2048 Saturn 1B that I really need to finish. After that I have my Semroc Saturn 1B and a special Saturn project that I have had on the back burner for about 10 years. As I look around the room, I've got three or four more that are in the sanding finishing stage. I was having less and less time to work on things and was getting more and more tired of sanding, to the point that building wasn't fun anymore. I'm hoping to rebound this summer.
Another option is Sirius Rocketry--their "Moldin' Oldies" product line (see: http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop...s-and-parts-26/ ) includes "Type C" and "Type E" 1:100 Scale Apollo capsules and other parts.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Old BAR

I just received Alex and Sheree Boyce's SA-5 and SA-7 3D printed kits.
I have to say the parts are excellently rendered. VERY little sanding will be needed. No ridges to speak of.
Beautiful! They will build easily.

Also received my 1/70 S1B pieces from John Pursely of Accur8, and they are beauties! No sanding needed. Some are already primered, even!
Beautiful work! I am going to scratch-build the kit so I won't have to open a Semroc one. Should end up lighter, hopefully.

Both these vendors have done a fantastic job with these.

Thank-you!

Alllen
Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Comrades:

Pictures of all of these rockets.

Or they didn't happen.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Dazed and Confused

I received my Boyce Saturn SA-5 kit yesterday. I opened it to look at the contents and the printed surfaces look smoother than I expected based on appearance in photos.

The back side of the fin can has a conical shape to it, which I'm sure was done to increase strength without making it too complicated. Has anyone thought of routing some of the material and/or drilling out the centers of the tube mounts to take some weight off the tail to keep from having to add as much nose weight?