Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Forest Sprite

Brad? ...

Janet?...

... Rocky???
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Most people who accidentally change text size, accidentally drag their hand across the scroll button while their other hand is resting on the CRTL button.

You can also hold down CTRL and push the + or - key to do the same thing, BTW. -SNIP-
That did the trick--Thank You!
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM
NAR Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Brad? ...

Janet?...

... Rocky???

Oh, what a picture show.
The horror.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Craftsman

It looks the same to me!
Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 PM
BAR

You can change the text side as well by going to the "Page" tab and click on the arrow, which drops the menu down, and in the third group of commands about 3/4 of the way down the menu, you'll see "Text size" and a side arrow, click the side arrow and another menu box pops up beside it with the choices, usually set to "smaller" or "medium" as the browser default. I usually click "larger" for most pages and it will enlarge the text without actually zooming in on the page-- which is nice because zooming widens the frame beyond the borders of your monitor screen and requires you to constantly slide the frame back and forth to see the text since it runs off the side of the screen. Enlarging the text keeps the window frame the exact same size and simple enlarges the text, so it shortens the sentences but makes the paragraphs longer, so they all still fit within the same frame.

Works like a champ! I use it all the time on websites like nasaspaceflight.com/forums because their font is VERY small and I don't like it... makes for VERY tiring reading! I think virtually ALL text should really be larger on the internet-- makes for less eyestrain and easier reading.

My pet peeve is when people choose extremely "busy" backgrounds that make reading the overlying text nearly impossible, or overly complicated webpage designs that take forever to load or work with, or is too "busy" on the screen to make heads or tails of... and ESPECIALLY when people choose a LOW CONTRAST between their background and their text, which can make reading the text nearly impossible... red text on a black field or yellow text on a red background or green text on blue is usually EXTREMELY difficult to read and tends to "run together" or look smudged...

Thank goodness this is white text on a dark blue background... high contrast between the text and background is a GOOD thing!!!

Later! OL JR
Old 11-27-2010, 08:53 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
You can change the text side as well by going to the "Page" tab and click on the arrow, which drops the menu down, and in the third group of commands about 3/4 of the way down the menu, you'll see "Text size" and a side arrow, click the side arrow and another menu box pops up beside it with the choices, usually set to "smaller" or "medium" as the browser default. I usually click "larger" for most pages and it will enlarge the text without actually zooming in on the page-- which is nice because zooming widens the frame beyond the borders of your monitor screen and requires you to constantly slide the frame back and forth to see the text since it runs off the side of the screen. Enlarging the text keeps the window frame the exact same size and simple enlarges the text, so it shortens the sentences but makes the paragraphs longer, so they all still fit within the same frame.

Or you can just hit CTRL and spin your mouse wheel....or the + or - key. It's a lot simpler to do and to explain.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
BAR

Quote:
Or you can just hit CTRL and spin your mouse wheel....or the + or - key. It's a lot simpler to do and to explain.

If you like wasting time scrolling endlessly back and forth when you zoom in on the page to enlarge the text...

The other way ONLY enlarges the text-- NO SCROLLING (except down of course).

Later! OL JR
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
If you like wasting time scrolling endlessly back and forth when you zoom in on the page to enlarge the text...

The other way ONLY enlarges the text-- NO SCROLLING (except down of course).

Later! OL JR
That's a configuration option. In newer versions of IE, I used to think ctrl-scroll would only zoom the entire page, but there's a config option to scale only the text while leaving the pics and page width unaffected.

I wanna say Firefox has a similar config option, but I can't find it in the menus right now. [Edit: It's in the View menu: View>Zoom>Zoom Text Only .] Either way, I prefer to scale only the text, and that's what my Firefox setup does.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Big nasty pointy teeth!

Quote:
Hold down the CTRL button and move your scroll button on the mouse. It changes the font size in Firefox and Chromium. Probably works on IE too.

You most likely did that accidentally and didn't notice at the time.

I have a Mac running Safari and that just makes everything (as in the whole screen) to zoom in. Maybe that only works on PCs?

What goes up must come down (at least to the treetops)
Death awaits you all with big nasty pointy teeth. "
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Malthouse
I have a Mac running Safari and that just makes everything (as in the whole screen) to zoom in. Maybe that only works on PCs?

I imagine it has more to do with Safari than the type of hardware.
You can try holding the control key while hitting the plus or minus key and see if it acts differently than the scroll wheel, but I imagine it will do the same thing.

According to a quick search, you have a menu tool for zooming text only. You can also install an extension called rightsizer that let's you right click the mouse for changes. Here's a description of it.

Quote:
Rightsizer Page Enhancer

Rightsizer is for myopic fussy people. It's basically a better replacement for the "zoom text only" feature of Safari. Unlike Safari's built-in feature, Rightsizer lets you zoom text in specific parts of a web page instead of all the text on a page. More precisely, it lets you zoom specific kinds of text on a page. And it can remember your font size settings for a web site and reapply them the next time you visit that site, if the page has the same kinds of text. You use modified right-clicks to tell the extension what to zoom—hence the name "Rightsizer".