Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2020, 08:17 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

Default Nircon 2020 Cancelled

Given the spread of the COVID-19 virus, and the extraordinary actions taken by governments, businesses and universities, the Fox Valley Rocketeers are cancelling NIRCON 2020. The club will discuss options to reschedule at a later date at our April 6 meeting, but right now it’s highly unlikely NIRCON will occur this year.

The Fox Valley Rocketeers apologies to any who might have been inconvenienced, and hope to see you all at NIRCON 2021.

Mark B. Bundick, President
Fox Valley Rocketeers, NAR Section #683
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 03-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Old BAR

Over reaction.
Ridiculous.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I am not going to judge their sensibilities over this matter, but the whole world is in turmoil right now over an event with minor immediate consequences and massive fear and loathing being spread by the MSM, which is feeding on itself and spreading fear and panic to the financial markets, the streets, to governments, to central banks.

The only go-forward solution is FISCAL conservatisim. Spend less than what we make for several years and reduce unwanted debt. Reschedule existing debt to longer terms at lower rates and make a plan for early repayments of that debt.

This is NOT time for extraordinrary Fed action or wild spending in the name of stimulus. Let people keep more of their money so if they want to host an alternative to NIRCON, somewhere perceptably safer, they can.

Fox Valley is geographically locked to near a large urban city. Remote sites are much safer at all times.

Consider this. The oil price shock was triggered by Russia intentionally, and spread to financial markets. Russia has very low debt and hoards gold. The low prices they triggered will be used to gain market share in Europe which is their go-forward strategic goal.

China's goal is belt and road and mercantilism at the funding and expense of western societies and finance. Success on a vast scale.

The fact these things harm us is welcome.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Over reaction.
Ridiculous.

Yeah x2
Old 03-12-2020, 09:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Fatality rate only a percent or so higher than the flu. However, there's probably a huge crap load of people that had COVID-19 and thought it was just a cold or flu so it never got reported. That would take fatality rate down to flu level, possibly considerably lower. MSM needs to shut up, and so does the WHO. (not the band)

As far as cancelling a rocketry event: The flu and COVID-19 affect older people much more harshly than younger. Lets's face it. Rocketry hobbyists are generally older. We have aged with the hobby. Maybe this particular cancellation isn't such a bad idea.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 AM
Master Modeler

This person will be turning 64 years old in a couple of weeks (watch the birthday announcements ), never had a flu shot (my choice) and never had the flu. In fact, I very, VERY rarely get sick. One of the reason why I have perfect attendance at my place of employment. I've never believed or subscribed to ANY of these virus/flu scares over the years (dating back to the 1970's).
Old 03-12-2020, 10:11 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Agree with those that posted this thing is a MAJOR OVER REACTION by germophobes and neat/clean-freaks.
They delayed the new Bond "No Time To Die" movie from April to November due to this as well.
Knee-Jerk Reactionary Over-Reaching Ridiculous NONSENSE.

If one is not Immuno-Compromised, most likely this is nothing worse than a common COLD.
Good Grief !
As much hype as this is getting one would think it was as bad as a Smallpox or Ebola outbreak.
H1N1 was far worse.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Apollo Nut

Mark-

In the face of an unknown entity (and we simply don't know everything about this thing yet), you made about the only decision you could make. Even if the fatality rate turns out to be just 1 percent (and it could be higher), that is 10 times worse than the seasonal flu and you may be looking at hundreds of thousands of fatalities.

I don't think it will actually get that bad, but you can't plan on what you *think* will happen, you have to plan on what *might* happen.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-12-2020, 11:30 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I don't think it will actually get that bad, but you can't plan on what you *think* will happen, you have to plan on what *might* happen.

I'll second that... I thought that a lot of this was overreaction and overreach. It didn't help that I dislike the MSM. But considering what the uncontrolled spread of disease would do to our healthcare system, some method for managing the rate at which the disease spreads seems prudent. We watched the number of flu cases in Italy jump by a two orders of magnitude in just a couple weeks. No telling what it's going to do over here. If you get hit hard by this bug you might need to get on ventilator support until your body fights off the infection - and there are only a limited number of ventilators available in your area. It would be a real bad day if you died when all you needed was access to advanced care like a ventilator. By social distancing, we're attempting to control how many people get sick all at once so that they can still expect to have access to advanced healthcare if they need it. Isolation may not keep us all from getting sick, but it might prevent a situation where you have crowds of sick people waiting in triage at the hospital.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
We watched the number of flu cases in Italy jump by a two orders of magnitude in just a couple weeks.

It's all that kissing...