Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Born again rocketeers?

Was that mainly a '90s thing? An on going thing? Or a it comes and goes thing?
Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholvrsn
Was that mainly a '90s thing? An on going thing? Or a it comes and goes thing?

I think a lot of us are still flying from back then, but I've seen a lot of the kids who were fired up about rocketry move on in much the way we eventually did. The numbers may not be the same, but there will be another group of BARs in the future.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM
Ciderwright

I think it's on-going.

My first rocketry life was 1977-1988. My boys dragged me back 5-6 years ago. They've moved on. I haven't.
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Master Modeler

For me it is:
R 1973-1979
BAR 2010 - present
Old 03-24-2020, 02:11 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Its ongoing, for sure.

On the Facebook rocketry groups, new postings show up all the time.

Typically it’s “I just discovered this group! I flew rockets about 20 years ago in junior high. My son and I are building a rocket now. Pretty excited to fly with him!”

Many say “I’ve rediscovered rockets! What’s the best glue to use these days?”

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 03-24-2020, 04:15 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Mine started in '61 or '62, then again in I think, '77, then again in, '95,....

I have tried many many different hobbies. Stick and tissue airplanes, then Jetex planes, then college (OK that's not a hobby), then, model trains, then RC planes (that one was a total waste!), then rockets again, then RC boats, then RC submarines (yep still have it), then back to trains, then real boats (wood), then restoring furniture, then back to rockets again.

I always come back to rockets. I have been BAR'd many times.

My family will have a ton of tools to get rid of after I'm gone.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My first stint into rocketry was 1977-1988 also. Came back in 2000.
Started R/C Aircraft flying in 1977 also. Never stopped that; flew through college that started in 1988. Only had time for one hobby during college.
Since then have dabbled in jet skis, 2-stroke supercross type dirt bikes, vintage pinball/arcade games, and target shooting.
I have always driven fast cars but don't really count that as a hobby.
During college I drove a 500+ hp big block 460 powered Thunderbird.
That thing really ate into the beer money and gas was only 90 cents/gal for pump premium and $1.40 for AV 100/130.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, I collect vintage full cans of Aero Gloss dope.
I still use it and have an amount that rivals most 70's/80's hobby shop inventory.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 AM
Lost his Drifter

My first rocketry experience was 1973-1980. The BAR thing was 1995-2003, and then again 2011-present.

We had an interesting thread on this topic: https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=17965
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 AM
Master Modeler

This is an interesting thread.

I first started in rocketry after the 1977 National Scout Jamboree. I watched the other kids
doing the launch for the Space Exploration Merit Badge (found out about it too late). When
I got home I went to the local hobby shop and bought a simple launch setup and rocket. I
don't remember when I stopped, but it was probably about the time I went to college in 1981.

I used to launch my rockets on the golf course by my house. There were two fairways close
together which gave me a pretty good landing area for A and B engines. We just had to watch
out for golf balls!

I got back into it several years ago and amassed quite a collection of rockets. I haven't built
anything for a while now since I've been consumed in another hobby - laser engraving. I've
also been spending a lot of time running and training for Obstacle Racing (Spartan, Tough
Mudder, etc) which I've been doing since 2011.

I'm a hobby collector. I've done many things over the years, including stamp collecting,
beer can collecting (an odd hobby for a very young boy), plastic models, Boy Scout patches,
model rockets, obstacle racing, laser engraving, various sports, etc. Too many to count.
I'm probably like most of you all, I need something to keep me busy - I can't just lie around
on the couch watching TV all day. I'd be bored stiff.
NAR #90990
Semroc SAM #083

BAR Since 2008
Enjoying model rocketry since 1977.
The Spotted Dragon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old 03-25-2020, 11:00 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd
This is an interesting thread.

I first started in rocketry after the 1977 National Scout Jamboree. I watched the other kids
doing the launch for the Space Exploration Merit Badge (found out about it too late). When
I got home I went to the local hobby shop and bought a simple launch setup and rocket. I
don't remember when I stopped, but it was probably about the time I went to college in 1981.

I used to launch my rockets on the golf course by my house. There were two fairways close
together which gave me a pretty good landing area for A and B engines. We just had to watch
out for golf balls!

I got back into it several years ago and amassed quite a collection of rockets. I haven't built
anything for a while now since I've been consumed in another hobby - laser engraving. I've
also been spending a lot of time running and training for Obstacle Racing (Spartan, Tough
Mudder, etc) which I've been doing since 2011.

I'm a hobby collector. I've done many things over the years, including stamp collecting,
beer can collecting (an odd hobby for a very young boy), plastic models, Boy Scout patches,
model rockets, obstacle racing, laser engraving, various sports, etc. Too many to count.
I'm probably like most of you all, I need something to keep me busy - I can't just lie around
on the couch watching TV all day. I'd be bored stiff.

I think the beer can collecting was a product of the time. I started in 1976-77 and I still have friends who keep up with it heavily. Two of the guys can't get through their heads that they are now friends, so they insist that I go with them to beer can shows. I occasionally buy a tray if I find something old and local, but one of the guys will literally spend hundreds of dollars on a particular can. Blows my mind. Sometimes it's not so bad to be cheap.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper